Deportation - Apparently A Debate Thread?? :?

Njugle

all the people who claim to not want this thread getting nitpicky and arguementative etc, stop mentioning me by name as if i started all this.

when it came to mention my personal feelings on sakchai, io was making a serious point....whether you like him or not is irrelevant....he needs support.

there will be plenty of people who don't like him or don't know him weho won't be supporting purely on these grounds......but i was trying to make the point that this is not important in supporting an important issue, but every1 seems to be too focused on you have to like him he was a great guy and plenty of people like him so they must be right.

this does not matter when someones human rights are in jeopardy.

this is not a popularity contest....its about whether or not he gets to stay in this country (whether it be up here or with his family or wherever)

so forget about taking offence at something you think may have been written by someone....and focus on the task at hand.

you are doing sakchai no favours by wasting your time by having a go at people trying to help

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if sakchai meant that much to you, why aren't you willing to postpone a match for a charity match? and what would u b having a charity match for? you're not seriously thinking of giving him free money now are you? what does he need money for?

Look, my whole point is to let smeg know whats already arranged, and to make it easier to organise. I will even book the match and referee if you want. It can be between the Malakoff team (Sakchai's team), and a team of friends or such if you like.

Don't start saying I don't care about what happens to him.

I'm trying to help for christ's sake.

There is an appeal for him, that has been mentioned by Davie G in this thread. Its for his legal fees, his families expenses and for any other reasons which might crop up. If there is extra over and above what they need, then everyone will get a say in what is done with it.

At least thats the way I understand it.

Kinda missed that post huh? Read below for Davies post.]

And as for "do you not care enough to postpone the match for him" that is not up to one man to decide. So making it optional not compulsary would seem the best way no?......

but that doesn't answer my other point.

why are u holding a fundraiser for him? are u just gonna start giving the boy free money now? for what reason?

The money raised to kick off the fund was an amazing £2300. Incredible seeing as how we had not advertised the fact that there would be a collection and many of our younger attendees would not have been in a position to contribute on the night. As I say amazing so thank you. It will be put to good use I can assure you. The money is being administered by SRT until the bank account is open. The money will be used for:

• Additional legal fees and expenses, outwith that already promised by SRT

• Any family expenses directly relating to this case

• Ongoing legal fees of any kind relating to the case either during or following its resolution, successful or otherwise

• Any crucial campaign fees not offered by ‘in kind’ or voluntary contribution. These will all be accounted for by receipt etc.

So many of you want to do things for the campaign, fund raising wise, it will simply not be possible for me or the team to be involved, given everything else that is going on. I still have the day job to do to. However this does answer the often asked question over the past few days “What can I do� Well good quality fund-raising is now the answer.

Please go ahead and set things up that you think would be appropriate, high quality and catch the ‘eye’ of the public etc. Please do them well and all above board and make sure you account for ALL the money. Having given this a lot of thought it’s clear we will have no ‘official’ way of administering it until its in the bank, so please, as I say, do it well, honestly (we know you will) and make sure everything is done with the ongoing credibility of the campaign in mind.

We will have an account set up very soon in the Bank of Scotland (hopefully by early next week) so you can pay everything into there. I will let you know when this is open and how to go about it when the time comes – so for the time being bare with us.

what about legalaid?

why is it if its a shetland thing everyone jumps to support (dont get me started on cats appeal) yet anything else can go jump as far as everyone's concerned.

he is not our responsibility to pay for, or are you gonna pay the legal costs etc of every person who is unfairly treated?

why does he deserve this kingly treatment?

if you wanna pay for him pay out of your own pocket. but why expect everyone else to. how many other charities do you support?

what about legalaid?

why is it if its a shetland thing everyone jumps to support (dont get me started on cats appeal) yet anything else can go jump as far as everyone's concerned.

he is not our responsibility to pay for, or are you gonna pay the legal costs etc of every person who is unfairly treated?

if you wanna pay for him pay out of your own pocket. but why expect everyone else to. how many other charities do you support?

The money isnt being taken out of your pocket hgbg so why the fuss. People will help if they want to, they are under no obligation. And this is not a charity, this is a campaign.

at the same point though, and i am in no way trying to detract away from this, but just raising an issue, i know of a few National charities that have tried fundraising events in shetland but were met with an overwhelming lack of support or help simply due to there not being a "local link" to the charity....ie, it didn't directly involve shetland such as CATS appeal etc which has taken over every fundraising appeal.

the fact that a few of these were childrens charities which do have a link everywhere nationally points out how unwilling shetland can be to support anything that isn't local.

i'm not saying don't support sakchai, but remember there are other charities out there that do far reaching work that people in shetland are not supporting

Fair point bear, i am a shetlander and i know how distant it can make you feel sometimes, i dont think you realise how lucky us islanders are until you see the real problems first hand. I think sometimes people can have a slight lack of relatability unless it is something that hits home...which this clearly has.

So yes, please be aware that there are many many charities which have literally life and death situations that are in need of help too. Though charity begins at home, shetland is furtunate enough not to be affected by some of the worlds terrible situations.

I donate to charities and i will also be helping with the campaign for Sakchai.

when it came to mention my personal feelings on sakchai, io was making a serious point....whether you like him or not is irrelevant....he needs support.

there will be plenty of people who don't like him or don't know him weho won't be supporting purely on these grounds......but i was trying to make the point that this is not important in supporting an important issue, but every1 seems to be too focused on you have to like him he was a great guy and plenty of people like him so they must be right.

this does not matter when someones human rights are in jeopardy.

I dont see many people disagreeing with your points here. The only difference is that you would like to see a wider agenda.

What has happened here is that a close knit community is reeling in shock at what has happened to one of their own.

They have quite rightly and quite spectacularly rallied behind him to try to right an obvious wrong.

What is going on just now is a very powerful protest against what has happened and the laws that allowed it to happen.

To bring personalities into it is a red herring. I dont know Sakchai, so how can I like him or think he was a great guy, but I totally support this campaign. I just know that what happened to him is wrong, and the laws or policies that allowed that to happen are wrong.

This campaign has the potential to change those laws and policies if it can be allowed to run it's course and show that the law is indeed an ass. This is a campaign to bring a local man back to the community he grew up in and obviously wants to be part of, and if it can succeed in that, it can be a shining example to help bring many more similar cases to the same conclusion.

In short, we are all after the same goal. Some might worry that this is a local campaign to free one man then bingo! lets move on to something else. But believe me, the overwhelming majority of people who are posting on this forum can see the bigger issue and will be far more willing to support unjust causes whenever and wherever they crop up.

Listen to the man who right now is showing more than the wisdom of Solomen! Chill out, stay focussed and concentrate on the issue in hand. The rest will follow on.

what about legalaid?

Have you looked up 'troll' in the dictionary lately? Not sure that you deserve a reply, but here goes.

Firstly legal and aid have a space in there somewhere, it's two separate words.

As far as donating to causes are concerned, You really should re-think your 'go jump' comment, youl'd be hard pressed to find any community who donated so willingly either locally or nationally.

He's not our responsibility, but he seems to be slightly ahead of you in the popularity stakes. I'm not aware that anybody is being forced into paying for him! So to answer your question, I'm not going to pay the legal costs of anyone that's been unfairly treated (glad you acknowlededge he has been unfairly treated), but i'm only to happy to chip in where I feel I can.

Were not planning to crown him as far as i'm aware, but then we've no plans to sanctify you either, so he's not getting any more 'kingly' treatment than you me or anyone else. Only difference is were not in a maximum security jail, so we're at liberty to have this bit of banter.

There seems to be no shortage of people willing to pay for him out of their own pocket. Did you chip in?

Actually I support quite a lot of different charities. How many do you support?

I had attempted last night to assist certain individuals in understanding why some of their well meaning posts have been potentially construed "wrongly". It is with great sadness that you couldn't pick up on this and try and help me help you.

There is a trend forming of being highly defensive while also being offensive in writing styles. Posts are becoming filled with venom and degenerating into vitriol.

If everyone, and I truely mean everyone now - I am not picking people out here! - could just understand to just step back and allow people to comment, read the comments and constructively retort without degenerating to name calling and acting like a young child may when they haven't got their own way! - everyone would get along a whole lot better. People need to understand simpe netiquette - and if you can't handle people commenting on your "opinion" then don't post in these, or any other forum - and save everyone a whole lot of grief!!! I mean that!

I apologise if that sounds harsh and I may have hurt anyones "sensibilities"?! and I am not looking for more back-biting to defend your positions - this IS the position to all and sundry staying outwith the "argument" and reading these posts!

Peoples well made comments are being destroyed when they resort to playground tactics!

Consider yourselves "on the naughty step" !

Well said Trout.

I've been following the various threads and its obvious that some tempers are starting to fray a little at the edges.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as is only right in a society that strives towards freedom of speech (even if it doesn't seem like it at times) that both sides of the argument are allowed to say their piece but common sense and tact should play a part.