Flybe Flight Costs

upnorth76

Yeah its no fair! I bought a return to Aberdeen for feb, away wed and back on fri and it would've cost me £88. Cost more as i forgot that you get charged for paying with a credit card, no cost if paid with switch. I would've thought that a last minute booking would have been as cheap as there's a good chance these seats won't be filled, if you know what i mean!

Flybe aren't unique in charging top dollar for last minute travel, almost every single travel operator does exactly the same.

For example, if I was booking to go from London to New York tomorrow returning later in the week it would cost me £1351, but the same trip in March would be just £378 return.

If I book a train from Manchester to London tomorrow returning in three days time it will cost a massive £238, but the same journey in early January is £65 return.

The reason they charge so much for last minute travel is simply because they can. In the same way that there are only a handful of seats sold at a 'cheap' price if you book well ahead, there are a handful of uber expensive ones for those who need to get away last minute. Because the flight is more than paid for by the time they get to these last few seats, if they fill them it is a nice little bonus for the airline, if they don't then they're not losing anything.

They are a business after all, and making money is what they are all about.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no competition and therefore very little incentive to offer low flight prices.

if wasn't for the Scottish Governments hugely expensive (to the taxpayer) air discount scheme it would be a lot worse for those of us who like to fly.

Probably not enough of a population base to interest any real competition

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar late Edinburgh booking for business which came out at a whopping £405 return. But then I've also had a £36 flight to Aberdeen to balance things out.

I've already booked several flights for next year, and although they are cheaper, they don't all seem to be as much of a bargain as when I did the same thing last year.

On a positive, I recently changed a flight and was pleasantly surprised when the call centre woman told me that it was £60 cheaper to buy a new flight rather than change the exisiting one. A good example they are not all out for our money, and customer service does exist!

• 1 month later...
2 return flights to glasgow at the end of september £278, hardly cheap for booking 9 months in advance

R U serious?

£139 return trip sounds like as good a deal you'll get, what were you expecting to pay?

Just in case I think they could do more especially last minute bookings but the price your booking seems genuinely decent!

We just paid £150 each to Gatwick in May. Would have been £50 less if we didn't take luggage and booked with Visa electron. The actual ticket price was £44 each plus charges and (above) extras.

Needless to say I'm getting an Electron card and going to be wearing everything I want to take from now on!

Flying is a bit of a luxury. Well for me, it also restricts what I can bring up and take back. On the note of last minute charges, Northlink charge the same (considering seasonal variations) if you book 3 months in advance or turn up 20 minutes before last boarding. No charge for changing bookings either. Card, cash or account. It should be the same with air travel.

2 return flights to glasgow at the end of september £278, hardly cheap for booking 9 months in advance
I think the Glasgow flights (and Kirkwall) are more expensive (in advance) than they were in the last couple of years. I still feel you can get some good bargains for Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Last September I booked a return to Gatwick for February, and got all four legs for under £200 - so cheap is out there.