Carnival

JAStewart

I was a First Aider at the fort but only for for the last 2 or 3 years that it was held. I do remember that there was quite frequently drunk kids at the event, but dont remember us using taxis to put them to hospital. I do however recall calling out the ambulance service on more than one occasion though.

An annual event at The Fort would be great. Some good local bands, good stewarding, good seating areas and good bar service would be great. The Flavour of Shetland on the pier is a great showcase for Shetland and if Shetland could have a handful of annual events organised professionally, for locals and visitors, im sure it would be a great success. Yes, it costs money, but what better way to spend some!

I was one of the organisers of "At the Edge" in the fort. I hope we went some way to providing all those things in the fort - good bands, good bar, good stewarding...

What I would say is that Historic Scotland are real pain when it comes to organising these events. The guys that work locally were very good...really helpful and pleasure to work with. The people in Edinburgh were really awkward though. They thought the place was like Edinburgh Castle.....Some of their restrictions were crazy and they charged vast amounts of money to use the place.

It might be a suitable venue for small outdoor classical or folk gigs but I can't see any rock gigs happening there again for the foreseeable.

And just for the record....no taxis were ordered to put drunk bairns to the hospital. :wink: We only had one instance of an ambulance being called and that was for somebody outside the venue. The police were on hand and what problems we did have were mostly restricted to outside the fort walls. We had no problems apart from a couple of hours early on the Thursday night when we got swamped with tons of very drunk underagers. The rest of the festival passed without any trouble.

We did get one letter of complaint about the noise......but that was complaining about noise of drunks in the street at 3am....we finished the gigs at 1am and all the pubs had 3am licences...

Cheers

Marvin