Petition against welfare reform bill

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more cuts to come. GOV are aboloshing Council Tax Benefit for a local systen. They will be cutting the sum to pay by 10%. This cut will be paid for by working aged folk claimin full or part benefit. Those of pension age will be protectd as will disabled. So, this brings the actual cut, for those who will have to pay to about 22% here.there are fewer claiming full benefit than those claiming because they cannot earn enough. Now, add that to the new benefit system being introduced next year where housing benefit will be capped at £50 for those under 35 unless they too are protected, 24% cut in benefit if you worked hard to get a house and now have been made unemployed and have 2 spare rooms it will become too much for some.

• 2 weeks later...
I may be wrong but my understanding of the aim of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 is

to streamline the system making it less complex and making work a more realistic option for many.

tighten things up to prevent fraud and people taking the system for a ride.

and a fairer system for those receiving various kinds of benefits.

Frankly, I cannot see this as being a bad thing, they system is a catastrophe and the workshy and the fraudsters have been milking it for far too long. Those who have wanted to work have been put off by the scant reward they would have received by taking work.

Before I start knocking the welfare reforms I will wait and see what effect it has :D

The irony of the Act is that far from achieving its aim(s), it is achieving the complete opposite. Such are the hoops that have to be gone through now to make a successful claim, that the genuinely cripple are ill-able and some arguably unable to (metaphorically) jump through them all, and choose to only struggle with it to claim the absolute minimum necessary to exist - of course, the cynic would say that this was probably HM finest's intent after all. While, the professional scroungers simply up their acting skills and line in patter, and walk it, as they are fit and well enough to treat it like the little "game" they always have.

Yet another good reason to vote for Scottish independence in 2014 :!:

You're putting an awful lot of trust in a mob with no track record or experience in running a state health and welfare system.

Look what we've had to put up with in the past, look at the amounts that we have had to pay and for what? Surely that in itself is reason enough to take take the chance.

^ Clearly you're more of a gambler than I, there's a certain reassurance in dealing with the devil you know, whatever their faults, than just stepping in to a void. The trouble with taking a chance on this one is there's no 'Plan B', safety net, get outta jail card, whatever you wanna call it....Whatever bed the Nats make, we'll all have to lie in it....Or do you suppose the Scots should go crawling back to the English, Welsh and Irish begging to be taken back in to the fold if it all goes very badly wrong.

Perhaps if AS et al were to spend a bit more time and effort on explaining exactly how we'll all be so much better off, instead of just telling us we will be, a bit more faith could be had in the ideal, and with that support for it. Right now, its all only pleasing noises carried on hot air, nothing more.

shetlanders should be doubtfull historically about scottish gov reform i quote (greedy lairds and ministers comes to mind) we were robbed and trod on for many years my father told me stories about the old history of serf shetland where you landed the fish from the sixareen the laird took half the kirk minister took a quarter the local merchant took what he thought you owed them then if any fish was left you had to feed the family do you wonder why old natives are very suspicious of king alex and his cronies

shetlanders should be doubtfull historically about scottish gov reform i quote (greedy lairds and ministers comes to mind) we were robbed and trod on for many years my father told me stories about the old history of serf shetland where you landed the fish from the sixareen the laird took half the kirk minister took a quarter the local merchant took what he thought you owed them then if any fish was left you had to feed the family do you wonder why old natives are very suspicious of king alex and his cronies

That sounds like what the Tories are doing RIGHT NOW by taking from them who can least afford to lose it with one hand whilst looking after them who have plenty with the other, they are literally killing the most vulnerable people in our society and it is happening on our doorstep you do not need to look further afield to see the effects their welfare reform and cuts are having. You just have to look at the recent article in the Times about the increase in food parcels being handed out locally, So in 2012 in Shetland there are people literally starving i mean come on can an Independent Scotland be worse than that? I for one do not think it can and I am all for it.

• 4 months later...
Or maybe it is just targeting the parasites that steal the money intended for the poorest and least able in society, By weeding out these parasites there should be more to help those in genuine need.

Totally agree. The REAL parasites being throughout westminster and the house of lords , their flunkies and hangerons , the fat cat bankers and associated sidekicks , get rid of that shower of s***e and you would save a most considerable fortune..........

^ Clearly you're more of a gambler than I, there's a certain reassurance in dealing with the devil you know, whatever their faults, than just stepping in to a void. The trouble with taking a chance on this one is there's no 'Plan B', safety net, get outta jail card, whatever you wanna call it....Whatever bed the Nats make, we'll all have to lie in it....Or do you suppose the Scots should go crawling back to the English, Welsh and Irish begging to be taken back in to the fold if it all goes very badly wrong.

Perhaps if AS et al were to spend a bit more time and effort on explaining exactly how we'll all be so much better off, instead of just telling us we will be, a bit more faith could be had in the ideal, and with that support for it. Right now, its all only pleasing noises carried on hot air, nothing more.

:lik:

My sentiments exactly.

If Scotchland wants to become independent, then that's fine, but they'll only get my 'Yes' vote when they convince me regarding how it will all work (and be paid for).

At the moment, all they have done is present an ideal. I'm about as interested in ideals as I am in jingoistic backward looking nationalism.

Give us the details.

....... The REAL parasites being throughout westminster and the house of lords , their flunkies and hangerons , the fat cat bankers and associated sidekicks , get rid of that shower of s***e and you would save a most considerable fortune..........

To be replaced by........ ?

....... The REAL parasites being throughout westminster and the house of lords , their flunkies and hangerons , the fat cat bankers and associated sidekicks , get rid of that shower of s***e and you would save a most considerable fortune..........

To be replaced by........ ?

Well a benevolent dictator could well be cheaper. Or an elected parliament with 25 members. Let The Queen rule?.