• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Cruise ship season

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 PJ of Hildisvik

PJ of Hildisvik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

The LPA say's this should be the busiest season ever.

But, i had to laugh at the fact that the busiest day with four cruise ships in one day will be July 29th, a SUNDAY, so nowhere open as usual, great planning :roll:

#2 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

The SIC are probably hoping whatever boats Costa still have left come summer, are all coming.

Its their only hope of getting a Bressa Brig noo..... :wink:

#3 hairyian

hairyian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

But, i had to laugh at the fact that the busiest day with four cruise ships in one day will be July 29th, a SUNDAY, so nowhere open as usual, great planning :roll:

Surely the "planned" visit date is made by the Cruise Operator?
Maybe they did not want to vist on a day that was busy with shoppers ?

If the port is deemed to be 'not interesting enough', then in the future the crusie ships will go elsewhere.

If the Lerwick Town Centre shops want to cash in on the cruise ships, they will have to open whenever they come? Cruise ships operate to their own timetable, not that of Lerwick shop opening hours.

#4 icepick239

icepick239

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Dinna worry passengers - "Current's" will be open for you... :lol:

#5 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have heard it said quite frequently that cruise ship passengers spend very little in Lerwick. Many that come ashore will be going on bus trips. Sunday is a good day for this as there are very few scheduled runs that day so more buses and drivers are available.

#6 tom thumb

tom thumb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Maybe they did not want to vist on a day that was busy with shoppers ?

busy with shoppers!!!! that gave me a laugh
now what was that song by the specials oh yes ghost town
any other song titles spring to mind

#7 EM

EM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

"Current's" will be open for you... :lol:

Current? I'd always assumed the spelling would be Currans.

#8 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3580 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I have heard it said quite frequently that cruise ship passengers spend very little in Lerwick. Many that come ashore will be going on bus trips. Sunday is a good day for this as there are very few scheduled runs that day so more buses and drivers are available.

I have some experience of this and can honestly say that the ship's crew spent more in the shop I worked in than the passengers.

#9 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Lerwick arrival by sea.

Posted Image

Arriving in a Norwegian fjord by sea.

Posted Image

A Lerwick architectural frontage.

Posted Image

A Bergen architectural frontage.

Posted Image

#10 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Not really a fair comparison. Shops and housing, working port entrance against Fjord entrance.

Anyhow, if a comparison be made with the attitudes of the residents..

Posted Image

So, +ve attitude in Bergen, by the authorities and the folk who live there...

With a population of 250,000, Bergen is Norway’s second largest city and the capital of western Norway, the leading region for all significant Norwegian export industries. It is participating in Cities of the Future, a national programme around land use and transport, heating, consumption patterns and waste and adaptation to climate change. It has joined and signed the Covenant of Mayors as well and has committed to going beyond EU targets for CO2 reduction in emissions through enhanced energy efficiency and cleaner energy production.

Not so +ve

If the Lerwick Town Centre shops want to cash in on the cruise ships, they will have to open whenever they come? Cruise ships operate to their own timetable, not that of Lerwick shop opening hours.

Tis about folk getting on with it. Stromness used to open when the P&O ferry docked at night, why not open Lerwick up on a Sunday?

Not like you are at church now is it!

So, you cannot really compare now can you? Attitudes are totally different. It is the folk that make a place alive.

#11 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

No hint of bias in your comparison of photo's there then Kavi! :-)

#12 tlady

tlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

^^^

Yip just a bit ! :lol:

#13 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

No hint of bias in your comparison of photo's there then Kavi! :-)

Perish the thought :oops: :lol:

Mind you, they say a picture is worth more than a thousand words!.

Yeh SP, that's just my point - many/most parts of Norway are just living and working places but, with a little thought and colour, they've managed to make it look beautiful.

:)

#14 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Perhaps all the sea facing properties could be colourfully painted and we could have an eccentric living in the WWII obs building on the hill making stuff from old plastic bottles. Any suggestion of a name?? What's the story in ???????

A side note on your image of the view from the sea, the fjord picture has two steel ship containers, a rusting metal shed, a fellow rolling something???, a caravan, a building that has no windows until it reaches the eves and some mirky waters.

#15 suuusssiiieee

suuusssiiieee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

While 59 calls (by Shetland standards) is a solid number the rate of liner calls has hardly exploded, more peaked and generally flat lined as shown by the figures from recent years, 2007 (42 calls), 2008 (41), 2009 (46), 2010 (48), & 2011 (58).

Take away calls by the sail training vessels (7 last year for example) and the real picture emerges - Lerwick is in danger of losing trade in later years if it does not get it's act together.

The reality is so many more ships should visit here, but whatever reason be it high port charges or something else they don't. There's something wrong somewhere in regards to the marketing of the Shetland product.

Emerging ports throughout Northern Europe are now competing fiercely for a slice of this trade, so Lerwick and Shetland as a whole cannot afford to stand still or it will be left behind quickly.

#16 Dratsy

Dratsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

One thing that could be done to part the passengers from their money would be a money exchange at the pier when the boat docks that does not charge an extortionate rate of commission and will change any money they may have left ate the same rate when they return to the ship.
this would encourage spending among the passengers as they are more likely to change money if they are not worried about getting stuck with a few pounds they haven't spent. you would be surprised at how frugal these rich old codgers can be.

#17 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I think suuusssiiieee's post is bang on. Even the lady from the Lerwick Retailers Association, when speaking on Radio Shetland last night, almost laughed at the figure of £1.3 million spent and said she didn't know where it was being spent but it certainly wasn't in the shops of their members.

I know this is not what people like to hear but there really is no product. Yes, there's "wildlife" and "nature" but apart from that there's really not a lot to see. Who wants to look at a hillside of grey houses?.

@SP, I think you've done a little hair splitting with my fjord picture :wink:

Now then, compare that photo though with the Holmsgarth/Old North Road area, the jewel of which is the old Judane factory.......

My message and point as always is that Shetland has the basic foundation of being a really attractive place but we seriously need to start thinking outside of the grey Shetland box and up our game.

#18 hairyian

hairyian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

I think suuusssiiieee's post is bang on. Even the lady from the Lerwick Retailers Association, when speaking on Radio Shetland last night, almost laughed at the figure of £1.3 million spent and said she didn't know where it was being spent but it certainly wasn't in the shops of their members.

I know this is not what people like to hear but there really is no product. Yes, there's "wildlife" and "nature" but apart from that there's really not a lot to see. Who wants to look at a hillside of grey houses?.

@SP, I think you've done a little hair splitting with my fjord picture :wink:

Now then, compare that photo though with the Holmsgarth/Old North Road area, the jewel of which is the old Judane factory.......

My message and point as always is that Shetland has the basic foundation of being a really attractive place but we seriously need to start thinking outside of the grey Shetland box and up our game.

Perhaps this is why passengers are bundled into buses and whisked out of Lerwick ASAP ?

I have a feeling this could start something ... mulling the idea of a Lerwick Carbuncle award !

#19 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

One thing that could be done to part the passengers from their money would be a money exchange at the pier when the boat docks that does not charge an extortionate rate of commission and will change any money they may have left ate the same rate when they return to the ship.

The banks certainly don't want to do money exchange. Every year there is at least one occasion when I am in a bank a cruise ship passenger comes in only to be told that the bank doesn't change foreigh currency. Apparently the only place in Lerwick that does it is the Post Office.

#20 MJ

MJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2275 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Places - there are 2 post offices, even if only 1 of them is open on a saturday afternoon. All post offices are bureaux de change. Sunday is the difficult one. Harbour Cafe is open and takes Euros