• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Cruise ship season

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 stilldellin

stilldellin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1835 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I see on Marine Traffic the Sts Pogaria heading in the direction of Lerwick ( 20 mile aff ) so will be great tae see a tall ship back and then hopefully the Statsraad later in the week.

#82 brian.smith

brian.smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Good Shepherd sailed so pretty much flat calm for everybody else
  • Ghostrider likes this

#83 suuusssiiieee

suuusssiiieee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

I get that ships cancel, but today's planned visitor Columbus cancelled owing to a "weather delay". Well i checked the AIS position last night and she was west of Foula sailing at a stately 13 knots. 

The upshot is she diverted to Kirkwall, and Tuesday's planned ship Aegean Odyssey is you guessed it also cancelling her visit to go to Kirkwall. The forecast for Tuesday again looks reasonable, not Caribbean weather by any means but more than decent enough for Shetland.

So this begs the question have cruise operators finally had enough of the grubby, rundown Lerwick town centre? And lets be clear it's pretty grotty just now.

• sludgegulper likes this

#84 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

"Weather Delay" does seem like a pretty flimsy excuse given the prevailing conditions;

http://magicseaweed....d-Surf-Chart/1/

Lets face it though.  There is sweet f* all for tourists (or anyone else) to do in Lerwick on a Sunday and, perhaps, there were not enough bus drivers willing/available to operate the usual excursions.

Kirkwall, on the other hand, is not that much better but, it is much more welcoming(?) to visitors, has "built in" attractions/history, plenty of shops open on a Sunday and, plenty of places to get a coffee/meal etc.

Go figure..

I wouldn't be to hard on the tour operators as they are (possibly) responding to feedback from previous visits.

#85 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

Maybe they couldn't bear to inflict even more endless whingeing from some Shetlanders on their passengers?

Edited by Scorrie, 09 July 2017 - 08:31 PM.

• panrider913 likes this

#86 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

I don't think the cruise passengers have come all this way to just see a small fishing town centre.

And if they do I am sure Lerwick compares favourably to most similarly sized Scottish towns.

In fact comments I hear are surprised at how busy it is and also strange that no-one is wearing kilts and rivlins. 

On these tours with particular emphasis on archaeology, it is difficult to compete with Orkneys Maes Howe and Ness of brodgar.

Some of the buildings at Jarlshof look a bit un-cared for and un-lived-in.

They are usually paid up full board and as such the majority have little interest in spending time sitting in a  caff eating.

I am not really sure of the reason for this grouse unless to slag off Lerwegians. 

• panrider913 likes this