Total Hotel

engineer21

Sadly, it looks absolutely dreadful and is reminencent of the Firth council houses.

http://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/DCB54CB7213D6019C35EA5D663B5E801/pdf/2011_367_PPF-APPROVED_PROPOSED_NORTH_AND_WEST_ELEVATIONS-55678.pdf

http://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/5666C3543CC9F251240B9B84186D312D/pdf/2011_367_PPF-APPROVED_PROPOSED_SOUTH_AND_EAST_ELEVATIONS-55679.pdf

Why, oh why, did the planning dept not advice them at earlier stage that is was a pretty awful design and get them to produce something a little better?.

:(

Oh why did no one else do something about it?!"!

The plans were available for all to see. An objection could have been raised

Regarding this. Folk were not concerned or did not care.

The fact that it appears the one most vocal about buildings in Shetland has

Let this happen withou any protest, oh, until it is too late. Kavi, you let that one go there .

I'm afraid that's not true SP. I won't go into details but I did try to encourage a better design but it fell on deaf ears......

It would have been listed in the objections if there were any, there were no written objections. All objections would have been listed on the Officers report if a; in time and b;written.

Condition 13 is about the finish of the building, it cannot be started until that has been accepted so as to fit in with the rest of the area. The road will also be lit to provide a safe junction for motorists.

It would have been listed in the objections if there were any, there were no written objections. All objections would have been listed on the Officers report if a; in time and b;written.

Where did it say he objected to the planning application, from what I read he stated I did try to encourage a better design but it fell on deaf ears...... that could be a letter to the architect.

Writiing to the consortium or one of their members would not convey a public concern.

It would probably be ignored. Objecting formally through the planning process would have sshown public concern. Perhaps a lesson to be learnt here. If you feel so stronly about the buildings, watch the planning pages and publicly object. The planning laws will be changing over time, I am sure those who feel strongly about this sort of thing would have taken part in th public consultation or any future one regarding any specific variation. Perhaps the hotel will be open for Xmas dinner. :wink:

Folk can still take part by ensuring the numerous conditions are followed. Especially 13.

I would be happy to help if Kavi wants to see future plans opposed if they do not fit with what folks want. Kavi can pm me and we can go from there.

Sadly, it looks absolutely dreadful and is reminencent of the Firth council houses.

http://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/DCB54CB7213D6019C35EA5D663B5E801/pdf/2011_367_PPF-APPROVED_PROPOSED_NORTH_AND_WEST_ELEVATIONS-55678.pdf

http://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/5666C3543CC9F251240B9B84186D312D/pdf/2011_367_PPF-APPROVED_PROPOSED_SOUTH_AND_EAST_ELEVATIONS-55679.pdf

Why, oh why, did the planning dept not advice them at earlier stage that is was a pretty awful design and get them to produce something a little better?.

:(

Document Unavailable. :cry:

Yes, it was the actual Hotel company that I wrote to a few months ago and to be fair they replied but sadly the main design was already in place.

I'm not sure why the link doesn't work in my post as it works fine on the SIC website.

I'll try again.

SP, thanks for the offer and I'll definately keep it in mind!.

Try here

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/Agenda.asp?meetingid=3411

And click on public agenda at the top.

You also need to read and digest the local plan, this will tell you what is favourable and in what area. The council here are working on their new one, it has taken many years to put in place, it is to prevent developers developing where they want, the new planning laws will do two things, on the whole, allow housing to be built and associated facilities without as much red tape and lets folks have a greater say. This may put many years of work in the bin for many councils.

There are specific time scales, anyhow, the documents were available for anyone to see from that date, now, we are in March, so folk had 2 months.

What it did show it the lack of interest folk pay in what goes on around them, until it is too late.

If you look at the picture on the Shetland News, you will see that the building does fit the surrounding buildings quite well. It would be difficult to convince a committee that it was out of character with the surrounding buildings.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/images/stories/thumbnails/images-stories-03-12-total_hotel-578x351.jpg

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/3498-long-term-fears-as-total-hotel-approved.html

The difficulty with the pink house campaign is that Planning may deem it out of character with the surrounding areas and reject it. Looking at our benchmark, Bergen, there are many that look similar if not more dominating.

This is why folk need to get involved and take time to get involved.

The sad thing that has been overlooked is the valid points made by the Councillor regarding the accommodation.

“My concern is that Total’s workforce is not going to be committing to Shetland for at least five or six years".

That of the Committee has to be noted as well...

“It obviously means it’s been accepted by those in Brae. I think it will mean a lot of jobs and a lot more income coming into the area, and that’s what folk are looking for in Shetland just nowâ€

If you do not live in the surrounding area, it can be harder to validate an objection.

Hopefully, local trades will be used as well as local suppliers, the next job and opportunity is to petition BDL to include local produce on the menu and encourage some more development to remove the "Toytown" tag.

Oh man, it looks awful :(

Toy Town is a prime example of Shetland's poor architectural throwbacks of the 70/80s oil boom housing so why build a huge hotel that's just the same......?.

This infamous phrase "out of character" is a piece of nonsense - I've mentioned before that it takes no account of the fact that what's already there is totally dire and needs all the help it can get.

I despair...... :(

The trouble is, it is reality, happens to be solid and there.

It is fine to have an ideal, but if you really are serious, you need to work within the planning laws. You will also need to read and understand the policies that surround the choices made and the fact that the population delegate these choices so it is the will of the population, if so by default.

It cannot be too nice for the folk who live on that estate though, but not much can be done really, unless you find enough funds to knock them all down and start again. What the estate did was encourage life into the area.

The hotel is very similar to many hotels all across Europe. The next thing you need to do is work on ways to influence builders on how these look. This of course will take additional funds, you may have to let them off infrastructure funds to enable them to put that money into any enhancements.

This infamous phrase "out of character" is a piece of nonsense - I've mentioned before that it takes no account of the fact that what's already there is totally dire and needs all the help it can get.

The hotel does match the surrounding buildings. To build something different would be out of character with the surrounding area and buildings.

The guidelines are there. It would be very costly to the council to risk appeals, as the developers are used to winning cases on appeal, and the costs are paid for by the tax payer. You will be asking the tax pay to gamble as well as go against national guidelines. The only way you could do that is by removing the local plans and the Local Development Framework or similar. This would let more developers to build what they want. This maybe not what you want, but the rules have been so relaxed to go against established thinking.

In some places there may be nothing there, so a blank canvas, but when there are already buildings certain lines have to be drawn.

You then may want to look at the needs of the community, there are 30 equivalent full time jobs on offer, a new bit of road and street lighting, a new venue that may attract visitors for a meal and a looksee. As we know, the local B&Bs are fully booked all the time by oil workers, so is said on here. That is not a promotion for the area.

How would you justify perhaps loosing that by insisting that the building should be fitting with another area of Europe.

The local buildings tend to be built from local materials until we could afford to ship bricks and blocks up. Perhaps the wood and the slate from Luing may have had to come up at the time. So really, the character is buildings made from stones. For thousands of years, many built by the Danes, and continued even now to the present day. The 70's did throw up many building innovations, but it is a result of those innovations we have the planning laws we have today. The way you can change these is by being part of it.

Oh man, it looks awful :(

Toy Town is a prime example of Shetland's poor architectural throwbacks of the 70/80s oil boom housing so why build a huge hotel that's just the same......?.

I despair...... :(

I think it looks quite good. Sort of like a modern re-interpretation of the traditional Shetland Lairds hoose.

I completely agree with you regarding toytown though.