Gollywogs - is this guy for real?.

Kavi Ugl

Aaahhh Enid Blyton, I was wondering when her books would come up and be used an example of Golliwogs being harmless. That would be a book that had stuff like this written in it...

'Once the three bold Golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song - which, as you may guess, was Ten Little <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> Boys.'

And just for those that don't know 10 little <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> boys was a poem put to music that celebrated the deaths of 10 black children one by one. Also 10 little <uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!> boys was the name of an Agatha Christie novel and on the cover was the picture of a lynched golliwog hanging from a noose.

Also the swastika isn't a comparible item as it is a symbol that was hijacked by the nazi party whereas the golliwog was born of racism.

I would just like to point out that I am not opposed to golliwogs in any way shape or form, I love them because to me like many of you they are innocent toys. However, I do understand and respect the reasons why some people are offended by them and I could never, ever argue against that when the facts and history are so clear.

Oh righty - o now I get it, so only ethnic monorities can be offended or complain about racism, and so I presume only women can complain about sexism and only the lederly can fight ageism and if your not gay then you can forget ever demanding equal rights for homosexuals... :shock: :?

Oh and lets not forget nobody, yes that's right nobody can ever be offended about anything unless the majority of society deems it OK to do so.

This debate has now gone beyond stupid.

Oh righty - o now I get it, so only ethnic monorities can be offended or complain about racism, and so I presume only women can complain about sexism and only the elederly can fight ageism and if your not gay then you can forget ever demanding equal rights for homosexuals... :shock: :?

Oh and lets not forget nobody, yes that's right nobody can ever be offended about anything unless the majority of society deems it OK to do so.

Oh righty - o now I get it, so only ethnic monorities can be offended or complain about racism, and so I presume only women can complain about sexism and only the elederly can fight ageism and if your not gay then you can forget ever demanding equal rights for homosexuals... :shock: :???:

Actually, you may or may not be surprised to hear you aren't far off the truth ...

... Take, for example, women in India fighting for their rights on several issues. They objected strongly to their white, middle class 'sisters' outside of India fighting their corner. Yes, empathise but when it came to dealing with the Indian Government and telling the Indian women what they should be doing, etc., the reply from the Indian women was that whilst they could empathise, they deemed their actions to be both patronising and racist.

If my memory serves me correctly (and I'm not sure), it is deemed as cultural racism (but I could well be wrong). The upshot is that many female academics (including a well known black feminist writer in the USA) are of the opinion that it is indeed patronising and racist for feminists to speak on behalf of those from a different culture as you would never understand the issues and you are as bad as the Government - by speaking on the Indian women's behalf, you were belittling them and were therefore on par with the Indian Government.

What peeves me off is that many a law has been passed simply because some prat of a civil servant happened to like what some academic has published and before you know it, someone's 'theory' becomes law.

Really?????????? Some Folk have got too much time on thier hands.

The "Golliwogg" (later "Golliwog", "golly doll") was a character in children's books in the late 19th century and depicted as a type of rag doll.

In my eyes they are toys......that is what they were origanally designed to be. We cant blame everyone for what a group of racists decided to do with the name 'golliwog'. Just like we cant blame all Germans for what the Nazis did, or all Americans for what the KKK did.

Should shops remove Blackjack sweets from thier shelves?...what about a white loaf? White Chocolate? Its all nonsence,

Racism is an Individual thing, if folk get offended by seeing something they dont like in a shop....then dont go there....its as simple as that. Why should I (and others) miss out on buying/seeing a toy in a shop because it Might offends someone

Aaahhh Enid Blyton, I was wondering when her books would come up and be used an example of Golliwogs being harmless.

I never used it as such an example, I merely said I was given the book.

I was never told that golliwogs are about racism and all that. I read the book simply as a story and did not know the meaning of the song referenced in it. I had black dolls and white dolls, colour made no difference to me.

Oh righty - o now I get it, so only ethnic monorities can be offended or complain about racism, and so I presume only women can complain about sexism and only the elederly can fight ageism and if your not gay then you can forget ever demanding equal rights for homosexuals... :shock: :???:

So, any argument against your stance is to be viewed as being 'stupid'. Oh dear.

There's a world of difference between finding racism abhorrent as opposed to being 'offended' and meddling on the behalf of those who, on the whole, appear not to give a monkeys in the first place.

I took my boyfriend and his parents past the shop, and they were like "Oh it's like that up here is it?" and I was quite embarrassed.

Even if the doll itself is not technically offensive, the connections people have with them are not so positive.

Would they like Action Man and Action Girl banned too then given the amount of people killed in wars? After all, if any toy shop sells them and likewise anyone purchasing them, they must surely be in favour of all wars.