NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a shock :shock:

I see they plan to use the same freight ships which is a big mistake.

And why on earrth was it announced today, of all days....?.

I also heard the Scottish Government man trot out the usual excuse as to why a Norway link can't be done :roll:

Kavi agree with you regarding the freight ships would dearly have loved to see them disappear back to Seatruck as their not fit for purpose on this route. Shame a freight ferry with say 100 passenger capacity could not have been worked into the new contract.

As for releasing it today? well as the northern isles have rejected the SNP time and time again i think they decided to just give us as little of the "spotlight" as possible!

I hold my hands up and confess that I expected a stitch-up and for NorthLink to get it but it's so obvious they've tried to bury bad news and what's sad is it will work because of the election coverage.

It's just appalling how they look upon Shetland....

There was absolutely no need or reason to announce it today.

"Fares will remain the same for the first two years after which the company expects to introduce some innovative approaches to marketing, probably along similar lines to airline operators"

Would this mean the earlier you book the cheaper it is and the longer you leave it the dearer it gets?.

"Fares will remain the same for the first two years after which the company expects to introduce some innovative approaches to marketing, probably along similar lines to airline operators"

Would this mean the earlier you book the cheaper it is and the longer you leave it the dearer it gets?.

I really hope not or I may have to learn to swim!

the extended dry dock period will come to an end. however does this mean safety will be at risk, how will ships safety be checked if less time is spent in dry dock??
I think the important word is "extended". Does not mean that the ships will not go into dry dock but either that it will be a quicker process or perhaps that they will charter a ship at least to replace the Orkney vessel while it is in dry dock. Hopefully those on the Shetland run as well since the concept of a "lifeline service" should not mean "lifeline except in the dry dock period".

Serco has a strong and growing presence in Scotland, working on behalf of the Scottish Government, local authorities and the UK Government. Our contracts include Scatsta Airport, the ACCESS joint venture with Glasgow City Council providing IT and property services, management of a fleet of support vessels for the Royal Navy at Faslane, CCTV and roadside emergency phones for Transport Scotland, the operation of HMP Kilmarnock and offender tagging for the Scottish Prison Service, and facilities management for NHS Scotland at the Forth Valley Royal Hospital in Stirlingshire and Wishaw General Hospital in North Lanarkshire. Serco also has customer contact and service centres in Fort William, Brora and Glasgow.

Don't see anything there about running a major ferry service...Well the best of luck to you say I, because it looks like your going start all over again.