Watched an interesting programme on BBC 1 at 5am where they tried to put some clear answers to some of the issues.

They reckoned that if Scotland got independence that it was likely to get 90% of the tax revenue from oil. That equated to roughly the same as Scotland currently gets from Westminster. So as long as there is oil we might manage. What happens when the oil runs out though?

The other issues were about the concerns of lack of answers to questions. As I've said before, there is not enough information for people to make a balanced judgement. September is closing in and all Salmond is offering is promises he has little control over.

His " I'll just disagree and argue everything but give no alternative" attitude does little to convince me we will be better off separated from the UK. In fact far from it.

This is nothing other then a huge gamble and the odds are far from favourable at the moment.

In addition the programme made a good point " Scotland is a proud people and the Saltire belongs to Scotland, not the SNP"

In my opinion the SNP has made a reasonable job of running the country, and that is what they should be concentrating on. I didn't vote for them, but I do expect them to concentrate on keeping the country running at its best and feel their time and efforts are spent elsewhere.

The President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, has been on the BBC this morning saying what I thought  (John Swinney on Sunday Politics disagrees) was unequivocally that Scotland would have to apply to join the EU and get all 28 countries to agree, which he thought might be near impossible given that other countries do not want to encourage separatism.

Barroso also said that as a new applicant Scotland would have to join the ERM and take the Euro as currency (Swinney also saying this wouldn't happen).

I feel pretty uncomfortable listening to John Swinney as he sounds like he's making it up as he goes along, not good.

Recently i was in a public sector building in Lerwick where at the reception area there was a information sign on the wall. On closer inspection it had a list of translations of the English version  in most known languages will one glaring omission there was no translation into Gaelic a minority Scottish language.

So much of a minority language that there'll be more people speaking Nepali than fluent Gaelic in Shetland.

Be thankful, if you lived in the Highlands, you'd have the Gaelic nazis trying to put their language onto everything - even roadsigns to places with Norse names......

So much of a minority language that there'll be more people speaking Nepali than fluent Gaelic in Shetland.

à¤à¤‰à¤Ÿà¤¾à¤®à¤¾à¤¤à¥à¤° भाषा कहिलà¥à¤¯à¥ˆ परà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤ªà¥à¤¤ हà¥à¤à¤¦à¥ˆà¤¨à¥¤

(euá¹­ÄmÄtra bhÄá¹£Ä kahilyai paryÄpta huṃdaina) :-)

à¤à¤‰à¤Ÿà¤¾à¤®à¤¾à¤¤à¥à¤° भाषा कहिलà¥à¤¯à¥ˆ परà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤ªà¥à¤¤ हà¥à¤à¤¦à¥ˆà¤¨à¥¤

(euá¹­ÄmÄtra bhÄá¹£Ä kahilyai paryÄpta huṃdaina) :-)

I did, but the wheel fell off and the wasps escaped. :razz:

Edited by Scorrie

The European Union press office has clarified the President of the European Union statement that back tracks the agreement from Sunday.

http://www.euractiv.com/video/extremely-difficult-impossible-i-533561

However at present the EU does not have an official view on this and will only give one when a member state asks a specific question about a clear and precise case. The UK Government can ask the EU for a formal legal opinion but publicly at least have not sought this view.

Article 50 of the EU treaty cover the issue of a country leaving. If in the proposed referendum of 2017 for a UK in/out of Europe vote, if the democratic decision of the people is two leave the treaty requires a minimum 2 year notice period to terminate membership to allow for the orderly withdrawal from agreements.

When Greenland gained home rule in 1979 and voted to leave the UK it took 6 years to extract itself from the EU in 1985.

As a pragmatist it would only appear to be a bureaucratic heaven scenario to be carrying out simultaneously negotiation in one room on how Scotland leaves the EU following a Yes vote whilst in the room next door negotiation Scotland entry.

Further the EU budget is set to 2020 so will the rUK be left paying £1 billion fee that is Scotland's share of the current UK contribution or will this be split ver all 28 countries?

In 2006 the EU representative from the Commission made a formal officially agreed speech to the United Nations that is in-line with settled will of the EU to expand as a democratic organisation that is built on the fundamental human right of a people to seek self determination via the ballot box.

http://www.eu-un.europa.eu/articles/en/article_6499_en.htm

This stated:

"the European Union firmly believes that respect for the right of self determination is an important pillar of the international system. self determination is closely associated with respect for al human rights, for democracy and for the rule of law including the principle of equality between citizens. Respect for the right of self determination requires the holding of free, regular and fair elections within the framework of a democratic society. Full respect for all human rights and fundamental freedoms is essential."

Every member of the EU is signed up member of the United Nations and in addition to article 1 there is further provisions with the UN treaties prevents undue obstacles and delays in recognising and working with New Democratic states created via the principle of self determination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-determination

• 2 weeks later...

Yes means No!

Has the Scottish Office Minister been qoted out of context?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/huge-concessions-needed-for-2016-independence-day.23608284

Surely both sides have to accept no mean no and yes means yes and accept the democratic will of the people as expressed on 18 September 2014?

There has to be reasonable time period set to conclude negotiations in the event of a Yes vote were both parties act maturely to reach an amicable settlement. After all good neighbours must the basis of the relationship if Scotland votes yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Althing Debate voted Yes tonight to the time is right for Scottish Independence by 70 votes to 42.

The pre-debate vote was 58 to 57 votes for Yes so the debate swing based upon the case presented was the mood of this small sample of Shetland was to Yes.

Details about the debate in link below

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/8121-althing-indy-debate

But isn't it always the case that those agitating for change and the party faithful will answer the 'call to arms' when a debate/rally/meeting is called whilst those who do not see the need to change largely remain apathetic until voting day?

Now call me a cynic by all means, but what if some of those party faithful were to vote 'No' pre-debate........   :thmbsup

It's a democracy with freedom off speach so you got every right to be cynical if you want to.

It is only a random sample of islanders who decided to turn out on a Saturday night in Tingwall. In addition to the Yes/No declarations there was also some who were undecided at the start 31 votes and end of the debate 22 votes. There was also a number of people who never put their hand up for any of the 3 options in both votes.

All the debate proves the settle will of Shetland is not necessary as clear as some believe and both sides of the argument need to continue to provide information and present the case for their respective position.

The vote on 18 September is the one that all islanders can express their view via the ballot box and except the democratic will of the people which ever way it may go.