• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

work in shetland

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 JohanofNess

JohanofNess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

can i put my house on here mods for exchange ? thanks sean

You'd have to put that in the classifieds section

http://www.shetlink....y=Accommodation

my daughters school is catholic its now 50%immigrant . all the shops are immigrant all the building work going on is immigrant . now we have polish to contend with working for a pittance pushing English folk out of jobs because the will do it cheaper . so you know now why we all want out . moving to a place you have never been or visited happens a lot what about people moving to Australia ?. sean

Careful buddy, you will be viewed as an incomer to Shetland, taking a job and possibly a house from someone who has lived their whole lives on the isles. It's clearly not a nice feeling for you in England so spare a thought for the soul in Shetland who might not get a job because you do.

#22 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

just remember that once you move up here you will be one of those immigrants stealing others jobs and housing. fact is you really cant live in a camper van apart from the summer. its just to hostile. please tell us you have been up here if not make the effort before you decide. we have been up her 6 years and its not been easy all the time. the wife missed her dads death because of the amount of time it takes to get back south, its not cheap living up here, it will be lonely being by yourself.
come and visit take a tour around the islands and see what there is to offer ignore the tourist stuff. make a list of what if's if they are more positive than negative then come but really think about it. if your a little englander then shetland wont be a fun place for you.

#23 owre-weel

owre-weel

Account closed at user's request

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I don't think Kavi should be accused of being negative for being honest. Yes Shetland can be a great place to live but then it can be awful?

There's the difference, a balanced opinion. The problem I have with Kavi's posts about Shetland, both this thread and others is the constant negativity and lack of balance. I don't believe the majority of residents would agree with his opinion.

Shetland has always been a place that people who move here, either love or hate. Some will come to stay and others can't wait to get away from the place. But I do agree that people should spend some time on the islands to get an idea of life here before contemplating a permanent move.

The whole country is in recession and for him to suggest that Shetland should be avoided as things are likely to be better in rural Scotland is a bit misleading.

As they say, the grass is always greener. 'especially in Norway'

:wink:

#24 spook

spook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

just remember that once you move up here you will be one of those immigrants stealing others jobs and housing. fact is you really cant live in a camper van apart from the summer. its just to hostile. please tell us you have been up here if not make the effort before you decide. we have been up her 6 years and its not been easy all the time. the wife missed her dads death because of the amount of time it takes to get back south, its not cheap living up here, it will be lonely being by yourself.
come and visit take a tour around the islands and see what there is to offer ignore the tourist stuff. make a list of what if's if they are more positive than negative then come but really think about it. if your a little englander then shetland wont be a fun place for you.

i am british paul not a immigrant getting to a point where i wish i had not said anything , its a dog eat dog world we just have to give it your best shot you only have one chance . i feel a lot of hostility towards me/incomers why ? ok i have not been up there i may just come up soon to do a rekki , people move to all places in the world they have never been . ok its desolate i don't mind that i love my own company , thats what i want i have no family ie mam and dad only my kids 5 are grown up and one is still at school , you never know i may meet a nice lady friend lol thanks for all your input .

#25 crofter

crofter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

the streets are dirty the shops are derelict there is doom and gloom everywhere you go

Sounds just like Lerwick...

#26 clairehuntington

clairehuntington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

:roll: my dad is a LITTLE ENGLANDER who came up to shetland from london to help build sullom voe and he met my mum and so on now he is a respected part of the community he is a under taker he loves it here!...

#27 JohanofNess

JohanofNess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

the streets are dirty the shops are derelict there is doom and gloom everywhere you go

:lol:

#28 owre-weel

owre-weel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

:D :D :D

#29 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Thanks to those who have posted a little support for me. I don't mean to be (so) negative and will try to be a little more balanced while painting a fair picture.

Sean, I can understand your "excitement" at the thought of a better life but moving to Shetland isn't something that should be done in a rush.

I'm not denying that many have settled in Shetland over the years and now consider here their home but the official statistics show that as many people leave each year as arrive.

I can appreciate your happiness at being alone but coming to Shetland and living like a hermit/cutting yourself off from everybody isn't the Shetland way. Infact, from what I have seen a number of incomers over recent years have done this i.e they have locked themselves in their own little castle/world and don't want to integrate. This is not what Shetland is about, but likewise the Shetland way is not to come in all guns blazing either. My advice to incomers is to embrace the Shetland spirit of being reserved, quiet and thoughtful.

I personally know people who have moved here and they're as arrogant and loud as they day they arrived and it's obnoxious.

The peace and quiet is one of the best things about Shetland.

Although life here is changing it's not(yet) the rat race found elsewhere in the world.

As mentioned, take a trip here and have a look. Don't be surprised if it feels like -10 with a howling wind in June - because that's Shetland!.

#30 owre-weel

owre-weel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks to those who have posted a little support for me. I don't mean to be (so) negative and will try to be a little more balanced while painting a fair picture.

Sean, I can understand your "excitement" at the thought of a better life but moving to Shetland isn't something that should be done in a rush.

I'm not denying that many have settled in Shetland over the years and now consider here their home but the official statistics show that as many people leave each year as arrive.

I can appreciate your happiness at being alone but coming to Shetland and living like a hermit/cutting yourself off from everybody isn't the Shetland way. Infact, from what I have seen a number of incomers over recent years have done this i.e they have locked themselves in their own little castle/world and don't want to integrate. This is not what Shetland is about, but likewise the Shetland way is not to come in all guns blazing either. My advice to incomers is to embrace the Shetland spirit of being reserved, quiet and thoughtful.

I personally know people who have moved here and they're as arrogant and loud as they day they arrived and it's obnoxious.

The peace and quiet is one of the best things about Shetland.

Although life here is changing it's not(yet) the rat race found elsewhere in the world.

As mentioned, take a trip here and have a look. Don't be surprised if it feels like -10 with a howling wind in June - because that's Shetland!.

Great, balanced and informative post Kavi :D

#31 shetlandcars

shetlandcars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

i am british paul not a immigrant getting to a point where i wish i had not said anything , its a dog eat dog world we just have to give it your best shot you only have one chance . i feel a lot of hostility towards me/incomers why ?

British maybe, but not a Shetlander....rightly or wrongly you will be termed a sooth-moother indicating your non Shetland origin.

You've hit the crux of the matter by assuming because you're British you aren't seen as a foreigner to Shetland folk.

Lerwick's own high street has its own high percentage of empty shops.

#32 shellb2

shellb2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

i understand that some people dont fit in to shetland life but at least they have tryed isnt it better to try it than sit wondering unhappy all thier life at what could have been? i moved here last august and had never even been to shetland ..where i lived before i felt more isolated than here even though it was full of people .. i never felt like i belonged .. here is so different i feel part of the community ,ok winters are dark and weather can be really bad etc.. but u have community spirit ...

#33 shetlandsun

shetlandsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I dont understand why people are being like that most south mouths as you would say have taking something good to shetland they are doctors police or even the coastgaurd i dont see what the problem is anyone can move up here if they want at the end of the day not all shetlanders orgianate from shetland. You should be proud people want to live here not put people off. Working class people who will work and earn a living its not them u need to worry about getting all the house the new houses go to druggies who sit on the dole and spent our taxs on there drug habbit they get new houses with all the contents new without having to pay a pennie there the kind of people who as you would say steal our houses not working class people who would like to move up here and pay there way.

#34 shetlandcars

shetlandcars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

You should be proud people want to live here not put people off.

Is the OP 'proud' to have all the new incomers to his own home town? from what he posted it would suggest not.

#35 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

nobody is trying to put anyone off. we just want anyone that comes up here to make sure that its a thought out move. the more planning the easier the change.
the bit about not being a native was in response to the ops view on others taking jobs and houses.

op come but come with an open mind then it can work. i could not leave now even if i could the kids have adapted to shetland.

#36 spook

spook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

You should be proud people want to live here not put people off.

Is the OP 'proud' to have all the new incomers to his own home town? from what he posted it would suggest not.

not ethnic ......british .yes

#37 Infiltrator

Infiltrator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

You've hit the crux of the matter by assuming because you're British you aren't seen as a foreigner to Shetland folk.

Urban myth, it's comments like this that give folk the wrong impression about the isles. I saw hundreds of folk arrive on the islands to work, and I don't ever remember any such issue other than the usual shop floor banter you get anywhere.

Positives about the place.

Low unemployment
Buoyant economy
Unspoilt unique landscape
Good community spirit

Negatives about the place

Cost to get to/from
Cost of living generally higher
Every social event has a beer tent
Weather can be extreme and relentless
Midges
Fog

Pessimism is directly proportional to latitude - have a read on here for a while and you'll sonn see this.

#38 windsweptislander

windsweptislander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi Spook
Don't judge Shetland from what you read on here, this is only representative of a very small portion of the population, indeed this forum is shunned by most for being filled with spite from a few.

You will find most folk who actually live and work in the isles to be helpful and friendly, the long winters do get some folk down, but the summer nights more than make up for it. I love Shetland and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I have lived here most of my life.

Shetland though is a lot like marmite, there tends to be no middle ground, it is love or hate.

I would suggest you try to secure work before moving, and make sure you know what you are running to, as opposed to running from.

I basically agree with infiltrator

Appart from that, I wish you all the best.

#39 windsweptislander

windsweptislander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi Spook
Don't judge Shetland from what you read on here, this is only representative of a very small portion of the population, indeed this forum is shunned by most for being filled with spite from a few.

You will find most folk who actually live and work in the isles to be helpful and friendly, the long winters do get some folk down, but the summer nights more than make up for it. I love Shetland and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I have lived here most of my life.

Shetland though is a lot like marmite, there tends to be no middle ground, it is love or hate.

I would suggest you try to secure work before moving, and make sure you know what you are running to, as opposed to running from.

I basically agree with infiltrator

Appart from that, I wish you all the best.

#40 jz

jz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

... not ethnic ......british .yes

Reads as if you are looking for some sort of Aryan nation in Shetland, spook. You do realise it is possible to be a member of an ethnic minority and be British?