• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

work in shetland

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

hasnt this post gone of track abit ... wasnt it about how shetland is as a place to live and someone who was thinking about moving here?

Yup, and the OP has been hounded out of it.

Mods - lock the thread. It aint going anywhere positive.

Subjective!

#82 Iknow

Iknow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

hasnt this post gone of track abit ... wasnt it about how shetland is as a place to live and someone who was thinking about moving here?

Yup, and the OP has been hounded out of it.

Mods - lock the thread. It aint going anywhere positive.

Subjective!

My point exactly. It isnt "Rosy" the truth or opinions of Shetlanders that disagree or have a differing opinion. So best lock this thread. Because it might offend someone like Sudden Stop. He says lock it then, lock it down!

And you "Mods" are pathetic if you think you can be done with libel or legal reprimand because people speak their opinions freely. See in normal society people do speak their minds and in most forums they are aloud too as well because opinion is just that opinion.

But then again in Shetland its just local community gossip and we wouldn't want "outsiders" thinking they shouldn't spend there money here on a bunch of gossip mongers eh????

Go on lock it, delete my post or just out and out ban me.... the truth hurts doesn't it ;)

#83 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

http://www.wisegeek....net-slander.htm

If not the mods but the posters. The mods have the contact details, they also log the IP. A court can ask them to reveal the identity of a poster. This could then reflect on the forum. I have asked and made a suggestion. It is up to the mods and forum owner to work this out in the context of my question.

#84 Iknow

Iknow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-internet-slander.htm

If not the mods but the posters. The mods have the contact details, they also log the IP. A court can ask them to reveal the identity of a poster. This could then reflect on the forum. I have asked and made a suggestion. It is up to the mods and forum owner to work this out in the context of my question.

I think you will find that every lawyer's interpretation of what is internet slander would be very different from the silly 4chan link you just posted.

God forbid anyone ever speaks about a news story on a forum.

#85 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

You've hit on something there SP.. It's got me wondering about the legality's of my particular situation.
I've made (privately, although it's now public) requests to have my account closed. I'll need to look into what the data protection act has to say about retaining personal information specifically against a persons will.

#86 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

I think you will find that every lawyer's interpretation of what is internet slander would be very different from the silly 4chan link you just posted.

God forbid anyone ever speaks about a news story on a forum.

I assume you are an expert, as being silly, we may take your expert and proven advice.
Of course, comments can be made, but at what cost if they are untrue and are used to promote another. It is the subjected who could instigate the proceedings. In such a small community, could commenting on court cases be seen as acceptable, even if there is a possibility of a different outcome if not. Shetland can be quite a cold and isolated place if an accusation is made and the local rag publishes your details, then to be found innocent will never be enough. I do know of a person who endured this sort of treatment. I would shudder to think what would happen if he was banded about here to be ripped to pieces before his aquittal. For my friend, the damage had been done by the local rag.
It is not right that that sort of damage be done to someone because of the need for others misfortune, to offset some posters own sad existence and give them a hiding place.

#87 Spinner72

Spinner72

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

^^ Exactly.

Which is precisely why certain things are removed.

There is no free speech on a forum where all members have agreed to the terms and conditions before signing up. If you disagree, you have the option of not joining, its very simple.

Like everything else in life, there are no conspiracies, no "hidden rules", just a set of sensible terms to which everyone here has agreed (so to disagree now is to disagree with yourself, remember) and basic common sense and decency. The vast majority of members manage this without batting an eyelid, so it can't be that hard.

Now I will patiently wait for this post to be deleted :D

You must have astronomical patience! :wink:

#88 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

There is no free speech on a forum where all members have agreed to the terms and conditions before signing up. If you disagree, you have the option of not joining, its very simple.

And there is no changing your mind once you have submitted your personal details.
Maybe you should add that to the T's & C's?

#89 Iknow

Iknow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sorry could one of the "mods" point out the section that says any opinion, even if it doesn't break the Terms and Conditions can be censored at a whim???

As I said its laughable that one can't speak their mind here in regards to freely accessed news. And the "small community" line just doesn't work.

Community : A group of people living together in one place. Oh let me think how many millions there are of those of all sizes where people freely speak their minds... exception Shetlink, because we all know all the gossip is better spoken face to face than online here in Shetland.

Small or big community it is just a sad pathetic excuse to censor and make everything look perfect and rosy as apparently that is what this forum was set up for.

And Shetlandpeat I never said I was an expert but nor are you and that is blatantly obvious ;)

So when is the monthly book burning then??? I must have been kept out of that loop.

#90 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

There is only one reason you have been left off getting the burning notification. :wink:

This has come about from posting details of those in court.. also, a comment in the high street is not viewable by millions for as long as the forum is maintained.

#91 Ironwithin

Ironwithin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

I see on page 6 of the Shetland Times they have one of those lovely people who have moved up here, he likes it so much he would rather go to jail than move.

#92 owre-weel

owre-weel

Account closed at user's request

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

This thread started with the OP considering a move to Shetland, quickly followed by the usual negativity, then onto posting names of court cases from many years ago, ( not sure what that hoped to achieve), then on to discussions about legality of posts.

The OP has given up, apparently after receiving PMs which he regarded as unsuitable, and the loonys have now taken control of the nut house.

Shetland is a great place to live, despite all the issues which have been well documented throughout this thread. The one thing I hear time and time again is that it is the friendly people which make it special.

Now if I was the OP and based my decision on this thread, I certainly would not dream of coming to Shetland.

Personally i have always been proud to live in Shetland and welcome anyone who wishes to move here. Some will come and settle, others will move on again This is the same as happens throughout the country. To suggest someone shouldn't come here because others didn't stay is ridiculous.

Several posters have made very valid comments regarding the pluses and minuses of living here, but others ! Well, we will say no more!

Could those who seem to have other issues to greet aboot start there own threads, possibly headed up "constant negativity", which other users who have a more positive outlook can simply avoid. That way all the other threads will continue to be worth looking through
:D

#93 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Anyway,
Spook if you get the chance of that swap to Brae take it.
You would be close to the two biggest employers at the moment. Also Scatsta quite often advertises positions in security or baggage handling.
All the best whatever you decide to do.

#94 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

that would be a very good idea.

#95 pete-builder

pete-builder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well people of Shetland , I have been visiting your fair isle for a number of years and on the whole have found it a very welcoming place and have myself contemplated moving up .
Yes ,the weather can be ROUGH,been there,seen that ,spring ,summer and winter.
Yes ,housing is in short supply and what is available can be expensive.
Now to the people , as an outsider I can say that all that I have met have been very friendly and I have been welcomed into many homes.
Most of the posts in this thread have been quite cynical and 'of-piste'to say the least though some have been quite constructive .
With regard to finding employment,this too can be difficult as I firmly believe it is not what you know but who you know and outsiders would find it hard to get established

#96 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just ignore the sad internet clowns banging their own personal drums and cherrypick the useful info out of the thread.

PM me if you've got any questions you'd like answering without getting mired in a sea of witless pish.

#97 Guy Mealing

Guy Mealing

• Social Media Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

I have the experience of coming here and being co-ersed and conned out of my money by two islanders one after the first.

I'm left disabled and broke, and neither of them help, visit, help me out.

anyone interested to here a lot more ring 01595694269 to discuss the issues

#98 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

I have the experience of coming here and being co-ersed and conned out of my money by two islanders one after the first.

I'm left disabled and broke, and neither of them help, visit, help me out.

anyone interested to here a lot more ring 01595694269 to discuss the issues

surely would not have been hard to search on google and find that this was not the man to hang with taking a load of rescue animals into hell just says you should never have been allowed to look after them

• Frances144 likes this