School bus cut

paulb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not an easy subject.

Having attended the Skled Primary School I can see both sides of the arguement. When I was at the school there we did take the bus... through the winter. During the summer or on fine days we walked/cycled the 2.5 miles from Reawick to the school. And it wasn't that long ago.... back in the day (2003) :D

Paulb as far as I can tell your house is just under 1.5 miles from the school so I take it when you quote the 3 miles you're referring to the trip there and back.

I do think that it is unreasonable and potentially dangerous to expect the bairns to walk to/from school on the roads around Skeld in the dark during the winter. However through the summer I don't think it'll do any harm... and might give the bairns the opportunity to put into practice all the road safety and cycle proficiency training that the council spend money on!

I think it's a shame to lose the bus service, taking an income from one man and seriously cutting back the work of another bus driver. However, if they're looking at ways of making our school as viable as possible we have to count our blessings that they're not trying to close it (not this month anyway!)

The piece of this decision that really doesn't sit well with me is that it's another instance of targetting a rural area, I would hope that the Lerwick schools would be facing similar adjustments to their school transport services?

Rant over :)

Guest posiedon

The first cuts should be made via the councilors "expenses" Claims, you know? Lead by example.

I was lucky, my junior school was virtually on the doorstep but from age 11 to 15 I had a two mile walk each way to and from secondary school (in all weathers).

Bairns today eh!

The first cuts should be made via the councilors "expenses" Claims, you know? Lead by example.

I was lucky, my junior school was virtually on the doorstep but from age 11 to 15 I had a two mile walk each way to and from secondary school (in all weathers).

Bairns today eh!

Good point. Ex cooncilor Flo was taxied a whar. She could easily have walked the 500 yards or so to the end o' the S. Whiteness road and got da bus intae toon. But dats history. Hopefully the present incumbents will be more prudent with our tax money.

I do not see how luck comes into it, for some, it would make little difference as to the out come, that is possibly loosing their job to get their children to school, where ever it may be. Why should these things rely on luck. As for councillor expenses, well, you voted them in unconditionally.

Perhaps a split service may be possible, as I said, you may have to work to get the best you can get rather than just roll over, there are ways.

I do love it when it get personal, shows the levels folk will stoop sometimes. Rather than trying to pick apart Paul for his concerns, looking on how this could make a difference to some who may not be as able to deal with it would be a way to think about it. I have found in the past that those who will never be affected will think it is OK and right.

What these situations do invoke is a little bit of social cohesion. Perhaps a good thing in the long run.

let me explain. i am not arguing that the children can't walk to school of course they can. i used to walk further each day. No big deal taking her there and back. However i believe that the road and the level of driving around skeld is a risk. its only since I and a few others have complained that they are prepared to do a survey. I am much more concerned for the other children. some don't have transport. with the ban on the verge cutting there is no safe escape off the road.

they claim the cut is for fairness but other children on other routes are keeping there transport whilst they are within there limits. dont see that as fair.

i still find it odd that the anderson buses its students to the sports center are they planning on cutting that.are they going to cut that coloured school mag as well that can't be cheap to produce.

• 2 weeks later...

for those outside of the skeld circuit they have left it the same. the circuit has been cut. please say how that is fair. which was there main reason for the cut.

we have forced them to admit that the route is not safe in winter so everyone get the bus for winter.

there road audit is flawed so we are not giving up. the poor taxi driver feels bad having to drive passed kids he has always given lifts to he now runs half empty.

As I said in a previous post, the education authority is required to offer any vacant seats on school transport to pupils who live on a route but within walking distance of their school.

It may be worth your while chasing up on this? I don't know if the route goes past your house, but if the taxi is passing children who are walking there should be nothing to stop him picking them up and giving them a lift.