Serco staff cuts

fionajohn

My bench mark for this is the cost compared to P&O. For me to get up, it is still cheaper than when they ran the service. As for fares for islanders to go south, that is something for your local councillors and MP/MSP/MEP to address. Did you not think the cost of fuel would make a diference???

Good luck with your full and robust campaign.

I don't have the qualifications to judge the number of staff required to safely run the nort boats, but it seem to make sense to me that if you have, say 20 staff on duty when the boat is full to capacity, do you really need the same amount of staff in the winter when there might be only 20 passengers on board?

Why staff up the cafe/restaurant to cope with 300 passengers, when there is only 20 ?

Logically it seems reasonable.

My concern would be to ensure there are always sufficient staff to deal with the passengers numbers on board, in a safe and efficient manner.

^^ Thats the thing.

It seems to make sense, but what about the times during the winter when there is more than "average" (or whatever they model to) demand?

Will the passenger numbers be limited if these changes are made?

I just can't envisage extra crew being prepared to come on for a few days at the festive, up helly aa etc.

im sure when they took over they did say that there would be fare rises. and well if you think about it with fuel costs going up and with the improvements they have suggested then it seems fair? is it not only going to be about a 3% rise?

Whilst I agree that 3% dosn't seem too much it's still an outrageously expensive service , £550 or so to take the family and motor off the island is an outrageous fee for a lifeline service , and that's with islander discount. how the hell tourism is ever meant to flourish is beyond me . As I've said on here before , it's cheaper per hour to go on an unsubsidised cruise with Cunard that it is with northlink , and not just a little bit , more like to the tune of 50% more per hour to enjoy Northlinks wares over Cunards , and Cunard feed you for free !

im sure when they took over they did say that there would be fare rises. and well if you think about it with fuel costs going up and with the improvements they have suggested then it seems fair? is it not only going to be about a 3% rise?

Whilst I agree that 3% dosn't seem too much it's still an outrageously expensive service , £550 or so to take the family and motor off the island is an outrageous fee for a lifeline service , and that's with islander discount. how the hell tourism is ever meant to flourish is beyond me . As I've said on here before , it's cheaper per hour to go on an unsubsidised cruise with Cunard that it is with northlink , and not just a little bit , more like to the tune of 50% more per hour to enjoy Northlinks wares over Cunards , and Cunard feed you for free !

Totaly agree with you there!

paying £100's to get a cabin and a car south it a compleet rip off

you can get better rooms in a hotel for far less and get the entire family in it with plenty of room. And its the same price wheather your on your own or if you use all the beds. i grudge every penny, they need some compertition like P&O to set up aganst them like they have in Orkney than they could fight for their custom, rather than the take it or leave it attatude

I'm struggling to ascertain how they'll be able to cut jobs. At present, I understand the shifts start in Aberdeen for a two week period. They live on the boats. So even if they cut back on the catering/cleaning staff, what happens in the event of foggy weather? They can't 'magic up' temporary staff this end and they sure as hell wouldn't be able to fly them in due to the foggy weather. It is when such foggy/bad weather occurs that flights get cancelled and suddenly, more people use the boats. How do Serco propose to address that scenario then?

I am wondering if Serco understand the meaning of a "lifeline service". Means one that runs all year subject to extreme weather conditions and also means that passengers in the depths of winter are entitled to at least a reasonable service. Also means that passengers and freight users are entitled to a service that is not disrupted because Serco is finding ways to save money that do not meet with the approval of the unions.

Since Serco took over this route I have discovered that Serco Northern run the filthiest trains in the UK although to be fair the trains do manage to run more or less on time except in exceptional weather conditions but I am left wondering if filthy trains equates with missing out on dry docking periods for the North Boats.

On the other hand some of Serco's ideas may be progressive so I guess we have to see what they offer next year in terms of improvements.

Fusion wrote:

you can get better rooms in a hotel for far less and get the entire family in it with plenty of room. And its the same price wheather your on your own or if you use all the beds. i grudge every penny,

No, if you don't need all the beds you just book per bunk and share a cabin.