Serco Ferry

Frances144

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, they are looking at making around 32 staff redundant, namely some of the 'hotel' staff (Bar/cafe, hotel manager/pursar).

The paper says that this means they will only be allowed to carry 300 passengers instead of 600 (They need so many crew under the Regulations for safety reasons, etc.). Serco reckon when it is busy that they'll increase crew numbers.

The ferries now are going to be a place where you cannot stretch out on a bench as you could in the past if you were travelling without a cabin.

But who the hell is going to sit upright in a recliner in the forward bar on a bad night? That would surely make you feel worse i reckon...if the seating at the shop has gone the way of the dreaded recliners there will be hardly any escape from the damn things!

Hardly a gushing step forward in comfort more the opposite.

I wonder if there is any support for those loosing their jobs and how it will affect the service as folk have exclaimed. Now managers are going to crew the vessels to keep them going. Perhaps if folk boycotted using the service on the day(s) of action, it may send a message to Serco that Shetland is united. If it happens...

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=165354

We don't have a choice to boycott anything. This is a lifeline service. Either you get off the island or you don't.

It is not as though we can change to a different boat, or decide to rent a car when we get off the plane (because we decided to boycott and fly thus not taking a vehicle) .... THERE IS NO CHOICE. Just what we have!

The real world is about making savings. Down south everyone is saving money. Up here they are just looking around for another drain to pour it down imho.

Another feasibility study, anyone?

I wonder if there is any support for those loosing their jobs and how it will affect the service as folk have exclaimed. Now managers are going to crew the vessels to keep them going. Perhaps if folk boycotted using the service on the day(s) of action, it may send a message to Serco that Shetland is united. If it happens...

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=165354

Not so sure I am united. If Northlink (not Serco) has been running up and down all winter for lots of years with a full catering crew then that is not a very responsible use of a subsidy. If not then what are Serco changing?. Anyway have they not already got enough people volunteering to take redundancy so that they can avoid compulsory redundancies which the unions are quite rightly against.

But of course this is a lifeline service and if Serco fail to engage sufficient staff at busy periods and fail to operate a vessel at full capacity when there is a demand then are they not breaching their contract with the Scottish Government?.

^^ Only if the contract has a stated minimum capacity of passengers.

If not, then its not Sercos fault they are reducing to save money, thats what any contractor does to make their money, the fault lies with those who drew up and agreed to the contract.

Its pretty clear Serco have been listening to the public. More recliners, comfy sleep pods, gaming area, imporved facilities for the kids, quiet lounge, more senble range of grub, and SHOWERS!! - so ensuring glowing reports from those who do get to travel, enabling those who can't (if numbers are restricted as it seems they will be) to be swept aside quietly..

Okaydokay, lets have a look at at serco's "offer". First off, 36 catering staff made redundant. The vast majority go back to the good old days of P&O and are very experienced seamen who cannot stomach the new serco regime who are refusing to accept the terms and conditions carried forward from both P&O and Northlink which were negotiated and carried out in good faith by both employers and employees. This will lead to undermanning of the ships on both the Aberdeen-Shetland, Scrabster-Stromness route. This means that the passenger carrying certificate on both the Hjaltland and Hrossey will be reduced to a maximum of 350 passengers. Almost every weekend both boats carry more than what will now be allowed. When this was pointed out to Stuart Garett that there was always a possibility of fog, snow or any other unexpected occurance (ash cloud ?) which would close the airports in Sumburgh and Scatsta, and which would mean more passengers trying to travel by boat than the passenger certificate will allow his reply was, and I quote "We will leave them on the quayside" When this contract was awarded to serco it is no longer a lifeline service but is now a business driven to make profit for the serco shareholders.

Next their much vaunted and screamed from the rooftops "exciting" new refurb and Gastropub experience.(Nandos will not be amused to find they are being quoted in the same breath as this bunch of cowboys!)

Mr Garett has stated that the refurb for both boats has cost £ 1 million,

but to put that into perspective the company were quoted £ 1 million to chip and paint the CAR DECK on each boat at the last dry dock. The refurb is nothing more than a cosmetic makeover that re-uses the recliner seats and relocates them in another area. For instance in the cafe area the carpets and seating which is now almost 11 years old are not being replaced and this is one of the busiest areas on the ship.

They are doing away with the very popular A la Carte restaurant and replacing it with an "airport" style lounge. All very good as long as you can afford to pay the £18.50 admission charge, then your meals will be charged seperatley. They are limiting the number in there to 50,but as there is only around 30 comfy seats I would get in there early!! The drive for profit clearly comes at the price of comfort.

The reclining chairs which have been relocated to the forward bar and outside the shop should come with a health warning, as well as 4 point seatbelts to keep the passengers in the seat.

The new "sleep pods" which have been fitted are all well and good as long as you can afford them. They are £18, £20 and £22 dependant on the season you travel,per crossing.

The cafe will only serve breakfast on production of a £10 breakfast voucher.Anyone that just wants a cup of tea and a bacon roll will have to go to the bar for this. (oh I forgot to mention, tea-that will be £1.95 please,bacon roll? sausage roll?egg roll? that will be £3.40 each please!) The whole new "gastropub" experience also comes at a price. All meals onboard are going up in price by between 15 and 20 % Coffee starts at £2.20 per cup. Fancy a pint to while away a couple of hours on your journey? That will be £ 3.80. A bottle of Magners? £4.80 please.

The seats in the cafe and both bars are being fitted with dividers every second cushion to stop people from stretching out and sleeping on them.Serco have stated that every person travelling will have a numbered seat, berth or cabin so there will be no "camping out" allowed.

The new wifi they have stated they will have is not possible to fit aboard the ships at this time. Meanwhile they are looking into the possibillity of charging for what is at present free. The showers which they are shouting about are being charged at £5 for 5 mins. If you need a towel you pay a £3 deposit which is returned when the towel is returned

P&O and Northlink rightly prided themselves on the fact that they did not charge for amendments or cancellations to your travel arrangements as Islanders needs to travel can change with the weather. Serco on the other hand, are introducing an amendment charge. This is £10 for changes made six months to two weeks before travel. Two weeks to one day before travel, this rises to 50% of the TOTAL booking charge, PLUS £10 charge. No travel forfeit all payment.

In conclusion, how can serco state they will be having an improved service when they have cut 36 front line jobs,cut 2 freight boats to 1,do away with a popular restaurant, cut the dry dock/maintainance schedule,shuffle about a few chairs and are in the process of cutting shoreside/terminal jobs ??This is all about the bottom line---MONEY

We don't have a choice to boycott anything. This is a lifeline service. Either you get off the island or you don't.

I was not thinking long term. I am sure many could avoid using the ferry on the date if it is announced. A day or two, if planned will not risk anyones life, really. If there is an emergency, planes. If it is such a lifeline, the fact that it is boycotted for a day will send a stronger message.

It depends I suppose how much you value the service. With the complaints about the cut in service already voiced, but probably not noted, there is a start of a base line feeling.

I for one will not use the ferry on the days announced, if they are.

I take your point about sailing with full crew but with few passengers, as the ferry is an on demand service, that is folk can just turn up and sail, the staff were needed, it may even have been part of the deal which the Gov subsidised. The only way to curb that is to allow pre-booking only. With the "We will leave them on the quayside" policy, imagine a last minute spree south by a squad only to be told only half of them can go because of over bookings, or any other group.

chookyargyll you are right about the front bar. It was a last resort, but OK at certain angles/couches. Sitting up right is not my idea of luxury.

It is the casualisation of skilled jobs that is the worry. Serco however are used to dealing with industrial action, there are a few going on now.

I hope Flybe/Loganair are taking note of this and making arrangements to cope with the increase in passengers they will get. A few more flights and hopefully a reduction in fares resulting from the increase in passenger numbers is going to make flying a far more attractive option for a lot of people.

Serco: Shetland maritime version of Ryanair? Looks like it.

It's always been a fairly thin dividing line between taking the car down and flying/renting for me. Looks like I'll only be using the ferry as a foot passenger or when I'm on the bike if all the above pans out as described.

Chookargyll: No disrespect, but I assume you can supply hard evidence to back up your statements?

Thanks for the detailed info chookyargyll - it looks like the service is doomed.

The quote "We will leave them on the quayside" is absolutely shocking and should have alarm bells ringing from Lerwick's Town Hall to Holyrood.

Any news relating to the freight charges?. Are the hauliers going to get a shock too?.

Another triumph of the Scottish Executive.

Please keep us posted.