Muslims

Yowe

Is the "problem" between Muslims and non Muslims getting worse?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is the "problem" between Muslims and non Muslims getting worse?

• No, it's the same as ever.
    • Yes, it's getting really scary.
    • Don't know/care.

After the recent outrage from Muslims over the cartoons in a Danish paper there seems to be a huge surge in anger towards Muslims. Every non Muslim I talk to is at the end of their tethers with frustration and a feeling of enough is enough. Also, if you look on any chat site concerning the subject, the comments are very strong. I can't help feeling threatened by the Islamic movement and I can't help having some very anti Muslim feelings. I don't like this feeling and I would like to know how other people feel about this subject.

Another reason why I dislike religion.

Yes its getting worse but bloody hell, take a (THIS SECTION BEEN EDITED) joke. I wouldn't (THIS SECTION BEEN EDITED) if any cartoon took the piss out of Tony Blair, The Queen or any related associates.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY THE SHETLINK MODERATORS

WE FEEL THAT UNECCESSARY USE OF POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE IS INAPPROPRIATTE. WE HAVE NOT TAKEN THIS DECISION LIGHTLY

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO BYPASS THE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE FILTERS. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON. IF YOU DON"T AGREE WITH OUR LANGUAGE POLICY, PLEASE DO NOT USE OUR FORUMS. ADMIN

I canna believe it. Fair enough, if the cartoons were offensive to the religion, perhaps they should have been more carefully considered before being published.

However

Yins the first time I've actually seen them. The response by the muslim community is a joke. Burning flags and holding up banners that read: "death to the danish" (and worse) just add to the already negative stereotype of the muslim community.

On a less serious note:

JAStewart, I hay some cartoons I found (did) of Chris Podge (name changed for legal reasons), at my hoose. Fancy a peerie protest ootside my hoose? I have an A4 printer and its turbo fast and we can make up signs that say, "death to PoolHaddock" and "I love you PoolHaddock" (du can hold that een). Anybody else can come that wants tae. Also, theres a whist drive on later that we could get fancies at.

I can't help feeling threatened by the Islamic movement and I can't help having some very anti Muslim feelings. I don't like this feeling and I would like to know how other people feel about this subject.

Without getting too far into the debate:- I feel the need to point out that we are dealing with minorities here. Not the whole Islamic movement. And also, if they take such great offence at it, why provoke them? The cartoons are not exactly life changing from a comic point of view. And if we do not understand their culture it does not imply that we are right and they should lighten up. If an indigenous culture that practised female circumcision and marriage at ten years old started publishing jokes about it in the west, we would all be pretty upset about it. We might even make a few banners and burn a few flags. But they co-exist with us on the planet none-the-less. We pride ourselves on our sophistication at being able to watch documentaries about them! It's all about perspective and they(muslims) have a right to their own.

Whilst we side with a nation that is now politically more than 50% neo-conservative and progressing toward creationist education and nuclear domination of those who do not concur with them, "we can have them and you can't", and that's all okay is it? vote "uk politics" to perpetuate it.

Damn, i just got too far into the debate...doh! :x

I think the real problem is that angry Muslims make such good television. It fills large chunks of news bulletins when they're all hoppin' up and down, screaming about stuff. Well, when I say them all I mean just enough to look like a crowd when filmed at close range. It was an 'International Day of Anger', the news-crews must have been delighted; they got the shots they wanted easily and got an early finish on a Friday. Down the pub lads, who give a pootle about balance.

A more cynical man than I might suspect that the media are priming us ready for a holy war. Iran, anyone?

Angry protestants in Glasgow were hurling missiles at an Irish republican march the other week. Nobody seemed to draw any broader conclusions from that scuffle. Maybe if the local minister had a hook for a hand, that would do it.

In a week when freedom of expression has been challenged in the Commons, this all seems to be playing right into the governments hands, as an example of why such freedom is dangerous and should be curbed, both in the case of the cartoonist who sparked it all and in the case of the radical Muslims who are trying to make a (I suspect pretty naively motivated) media impact. I smell a rat.

I can't help feeling threatened by the Islamic movement and I can't help having some very anti Muslim feelings.

I feel much more threatened by the neo-conservative, christian movement who are responsible for the mess we're all in.

Here here. This is exactly my thoughts. Politics and religion in todays world has absolutley no place - whatever religion! The neo-conservative diatribes with a distinctive Christian slant you hear eminating from America is in my mind no better, and in some cases, far worse than anything coming out of anywhere in the middle east!!

Politics and religion in todays world has absolutley no place - whatever religion!

I agree. We shouldn't let peoples opinions on ghosts, horoscopes or the tooth fairy affect political decisions either

However, I do believe that the recent foreign policy and political dogma of western, so called christian, countries has made a potentially explosive situation even worse.

And I think that George Bush's repeated use of the word 'Crusade' is one of the most illadvised political utterings of recent times. Does he actually comprehend the historical religious meaning of the word? Rich glory seeking christains rampaging through Muslim homelands, slaughtering innocent people in the name of 'God'. At least Nick Griffin understands the effects of his own hateful propoganda.

Its no wonder that many Muslims feel under threat from this type of quasi-religious rhetoric from the most powerful country on earth and supposed leaders of the free world.

What would you do if all that you held dear was under threat from a military and economic 'Crusade'?

Here here. This is exactly my thoughts. Politics and religion in todays world has absolutley no place - whatever religion!

And that is supposed to be a less extreme view than the muslim or christian fundamentalists?

Pot calling kettle and all that...

I agree. We shouldn't let peoples opinions on ghosts, horoscopes or the tooth fairy affect political decisions either..etc

Yeah, okay, while i was responding to trout, peeriebryan got in there with a better response/portrayal

In terms of excluding religion altogether though as trout was proposing, even in the most simplistic terms, there is an undeniable benefit from having a system of ethics, morality and rules in general, in any culture. Especially ones that are not as advanced as our own.

That is a huge subject in itself.

Here here. This is exactly my thoughts. Politics and religion in todays world has absolutley no place - whatever religion!

And that is supposed to be a less extreme view than the muslim or christian fundamentalists?

Pot calling kettle and all that...

Surely political decisions should be made through carefully considered ethical and moral debate, not pre-subcribed religious belief.

Okey dokey, i may have taken a different meaning to trout's statement than the one intended.

I do, however, follow my previous comment with the fact that theist or not, many of the ethical and moral systems we have in place are only there because they stem from religious doctrine from previous centuries, that is to say, religion -good or bad- is intertwined with our culture whether we notice it or not.

There is a middle ground between hocus-pocus and hard line sterile philosophical politics, and for those who do not wish to engage in philosophical debate it is an awful lot easier to read it from a 'good book' with 'magical' stories.

there is an undeniable benefit from having a system of ethics, morality and rules in general, in any culture.

Absolutely!

But unfortunately, most organised religions have very little to do with reinforcing ethics and morality, and an awful lot to do with scaring the bejeezus out of the proles to keep them all in line.

Shetland in particular has a sorry history of the minister preaching the laird's commandments on a Sunday, and threatening hell and damnation for all who would dare question the status quo.

The major religious establishments as they are today should have no place in political decision making.