Anyone have info about Day Dawn Fishing Boat

Lerwick antiques

^ That's another one, LK 432, I didn't have her number when I made that entry. She was a small steel stern trawler, I think Robbie Watt might have been the skipper, she went down with a load of eels when she wasn't very old, a year or two at most I think.

There have been at least three, if not four Day Dawn's over the years. First one I know of was an old wooden herring drifter owned by Shearer's, she was LK 138. The one in the picture only came to Shetland during the 80's I seem to think, she may have come via Orkney and been K 691 before she was LK 691, but I'm not too sure of that. Likewise, there would seem to have been another Day Dawn that was also LK 691, but was around during or around the 60's, again I'm not too sure of her details. Pretty sure the 60's one and the 80's ones are different boats though, unless a fairly extensive refit was done, different wheelhouse, masts, trawl gallows, remodelled stern etc.

Further to the above I had some more time to kill at the Library because of the power cut so I asked one of the librarians to look out some more Harry's Shetland Fishing Almanacs from the 1980's and found this.

Photo of Day Dawn LK 138 dated in the 1950's

Day Dawn LK 432 was registered to OGT Watt (Taity?) in 1981. In 1982 she is listed for R Watt and described as having sunk.

Day Dawn LK 691 joined the fleet 1n 1983 and was still on the list in 1991.

• 4 years later...

Hello

I live on the Isle of Wight and in the harbour here is a 60's trawler which was converted to being a houseboat in the 80's I'm told. The agents have very little history except that its name is Red Dawn, it's believed to be from the Shetlands, and its number was LK691. There is a plate below deck referring to a GEC Diesels Ltd. KELVIN engine.

Here is a link to the sale particulars.

https://www.hose-rhodes-dickson.co.uk/property/-87825.aspx 

I'm thinking of buying it. So if anyone has any history, or photographs (none of the links in the thread seem to lead to one), I'd be grateful!

Oh dear, sorry about the link. And I misquoted the name - Day Dawn, not Red. 

I found out a bit more ... seems it could be FR470 according to the following links and one of its former crew