Shetland's airports (and parking)

breeksy

^ Being charged for parking at their work was well established for NHS staff in some PFI hospitals in Scotland as long as 20 years ago. A bone of contention especially with A&E or theatre staff, as if they were held back by an op taking longer than planned, or tending to an A&E patient where they couldn't just stop and hand over to someone else to finish what they'd started. Not only did they have to pay for their normal working hours parking, they had to choose between just paying that amount, and risking a hefty 'fine' whenever they were held back, or pay for an extra half hour or hour as well every day to ensure they didn't get fined in case they were delayed knocking off for the day.

If staff start getting charged to park in certain areas of work then they will start parking anywhere and everywhere to avoid these charges just causing more problems.

We have been lucky so far here in Shetland as far as chargeable parking is concerned,but I can see "local" authorities getting on the band wagon using the excuse of cutting car pollution when in fact it is just another way getting more money out of anyone who has to use a vehicle.

It's not fair for any employer to charge staff to park but should the Scottish government  proceed with this proposal and it become law many employers will have no choice.

Like most of the UK, travelling from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen comes with a charge of around £30.00-£40.00 per day (24 hrs), a two hour stop is around £10.00-£12.00. Both Manchester and a couple of the London sites are cheaper than Glasgow when parking two hours or less for some reason. The airports "home nation" is irrelevant and they all charge "around" the same.

UK mainland airports have alternative parking with shuttle services, and these will normally cost around £40.00-£60.00 per week at most airports if you book online. Heathrow is a little more expensive I find and tends to cost around £50.00 a week for the park and ride. I flew from there last year and the park and ride and it cost me £49.00 for one week.

Edited by Whistle and Flute

• 2 months later...

Scottish Ministers could impose workplace parking charges of nearly £400 per year to discourage commuting by car.

So, how much does it cost us to park our bicycles then..

Scottish Ministers possibly could. Then again, I suspect that what English Ministers are doing, and will do time and time again to their own would be an awful lot more painful. Whether any of them are capable of riding a bike is another question.

Edited by George.

• 1 month later...

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me, I'm traveling in November and will return before the parking charges are implemented, I would like to take my car.  However I'm a little worried I may find it towed away somewhere on my return, given that they are working on the area.  Is the car park well sign posted as to where it is safe to leave your car during these "works" ?  I will be arriving in the dark and haven't been at the airport for a while.