• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

SIC cutbacks/ youth clubs and buses

sic youth clubs bus

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Ian_H

Ian_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

..... The new houses that are being built at Hoofields will be outside the limit for kids so they will have to have a service laid on there I would have thought!

Presumably if the proposed new policy is accepted, the distance limit will move out beyond Hoofields and a service won’t be required.

#17 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2235 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

"Transport staff believe a further £100,000 could be saved if drivers stop picking up children who live off the main school bus route from their front doors."

I don't quite get this but, maybe it's because I don't understand how the school runs operate.
Maybe collecting bairns from designated stops is a good idea but, does it really cost so much, presumably in extra fuel, to operate in this way or, is it just some non-productive idiot with a spreadsheet (again).

#18 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4871 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

pretty sure it is colin. these savings never happen.

sad to say even if the new housing gets a free bus. even if it was to pass your front door officially they would not be allowed on. even if its half empty. if you can show you have a need mainly safety they may let them on.

take our route for an example. the westerskeld route to skeld primary. they cut the service to there guide lines. resulting in the school bus being half empty. the bus driver would pass the kids each morning and evening and drive by were he used to stop. how was that a saving. he was still doing the same milage for fewer kids so unit price must have gone up.

after appeals most children are back on the bus. after two road safety reviews and lots of officer time. im guessing the same will happen when it gets put out island wide. it simply does not produce a saving.

#19 Wagon Wheel

Wagon Wheel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Will this be another case of the council picking on the small rural schools again, or will the Lerwick buses be cut too.
I know cuts have to be made but it must be done fairly.
All houses in Lerwick are within 2 miles of the schools so there will be
no primary or secondary buses in town.
Pupils 8 and over from all of Gulberwick going to Sound will have to walk and pupils under 8 from the nearest half of Gulberwick will have to join them. I know this sounds crazy for a 5 year old to walk from Gulberwick to Lerwick leaving in the dark and getting home after dark on a horrible winters day, but this is what is being proposed. So I hope you will all support those of us with children at rural school to keep this very essential service for ALL our bairns.

#20 ll

ll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I wonder if there will be a corresponding cut in usage of council vans for commuting and personal use?

Have seen council vans fitted with child seats in the past!

#21 Staney Dale

Staney Dale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

There needs to be a bus available, especially in winter, but it could be a shared public bus, and fares taken. Might be useful for school staff too. The point is that we're providing more free transport than we need to.

The safety problems caused by all the cars crowding round schools are terrible - I think they should build in a car exclusion zone around schools to discourage cars, and to encourage both staff and pupils to bus/walk/cycle. They have the chance to do something like this with the new Lerwick school. Don't think they will though.

#22 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4871 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

the winter buses for schools is an extra dont expect it to stay.

there is really no space on most buses for fare paying adults.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sic, youth clubs, bus