• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

School closures

sic school closures

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#221 trowie246

trowie246

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

The new hostel is too small, as is the existing hostel as it has even fewer beds. It can't accommodate all the pupils if they discontinue education in S3 and S4 in the isles. There are 59 pupils boarding at the moment and you will double that number if proposals go ahead, with the possibility of requiring even more beds depending on the girl/boy split and building in extra capacity. The new hostel can take 46 boys, 46 girls and 6 ASN pupils = 98. The Janet Courtney can hold 91 pupils.

I've been reassured that the officials are aware the new hostel might be too small.

Unfortunately, a decision will be taken shortly on the size of the hostel, before the councillors make a decision on education in the isles.

The hostel can be extended if necessary but I would imagine that this will be of significant cost to the SIC.

I'm not sure what will happen in 2015 when pupils are due to transfer if these proposals goes ahead as obviously the new hostel will not have been built.  Presumably they will remain in the JHS's until accommodation which is fit for purpose has been sorted out.

• CrunchieSquirrel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sic, school closures