Shetland Move ??

Renting:

Lerwick and Brae area are the two 'hotspots' where it's either difficult to get a rent in the first place or the price is inflated.

As a rule, the further you are prepared to travel to get to Lerwick - the more the availability of housing increases, and the price of the property decreases.

If you are happy to live on the outer isles, then accom does come up that is sensibly priced, but the trade off is less employment within the immediate area with a longer hack to a potential employer. More than a few properties get rented out via word of mouth, so it can be difficult to find out what's available if you're not on the ground.

But.....what is classed by some as a 'long and difficult commute" up here would have anyone who has lived in the central belt or that there England rolling on the floor in hysterics.... :P

• 2 months later...

I'm reading all this very carefully. I'm emigrating myself as soon as I can get my house sold here in Cumbria (any takers, incidentally? Anyone wanting to swop SVT for Sellafield would find it handy), and yes, I do think of it as emigrating. I'm not intending to move again in this lifetime. Commuting isn't an issue as I'm self-employed but a bus route is. Therefore - Mainland. I don't want to be too isolated but I don't want to be in Lerwick or Brae either. Anyone recommend Waas?