Moving to Shetland - Planning a baby, supper clubs, teaching

Whilst I appreciate that there are school closures coming i'm sure that there will always be a need for supply teachers

yes, however there is already a large amount of qualified teachers available to cover who are already on the radar, especially as many were on temporary contracts that have now not been extended.

Work in outlying areas may be available here and there but good chance that the fuel costs more than its worth to do the cover.

thanks,

Hopefully being a couple moving to the area long term we will seem attractive to landlords.

No disrespect, but there are literally hundreds on the council/housing association waiting lists, including couples already living and working in Shetland ... and many rental properties go literally within hours. In essence, there is no shortage of prospective Tenants for many areas of Shetland, although you might find that the outer isles have more available properties.

Hopefully being a couple moving to the area long term we will seem attractive to landlords.

Private rents on Shetland are amongst the highest in the UK and the current influx of travelling workers has made finding a suitable property to rent very difficult.

(I know of 1 property that rents out for £2000 per month)

Furthermore, the only thing that seems important to local landlords is Cold Hard Cash....

Being a couple does not really come into the equation at all, unless of course, the prospective landlord considers your ability to pay his rent..

I personally know people who have been on the housing waiting lists for more than 15 years (they work and pay their own way) and I also know people who have 'turned up' on Shetland and been housed within 6 weeks (they don't work for various reasons and the Government pays)..

Your opening post suggests that you are neither 'reprobates' or 'renegades'. Is it possible that you might be 'runaways' chasing a dream in a perceived idyllic location? If so, come for another holiday and do some proper research.

Colin,

I am neither" chasing a dream in an idyllic location" nor a "runaway". I am a highly skilled worker who has accepted a job on a 2 year contract who is opting to live outside company accomodation for the 2 years of my contract, bring my partner to shetland and contribute to the local community and economy and who knows, maybe even stay.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands. I won't come and do more research, I'll take my chances.

When I fail I'll PM you so you can laugh

Colin,

I am neither" chasing a dream in an idyllic location" nor a "runaway". I am a highly skilled worker who has accepted a job on a 2 year contract who is opting to live outside company accomodation for the 2 years of my contract, bring my partner to shetland and contribute to the local community and economy and who knows, maybe even stay.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands. I won't come and do more research, I'll take my chances.

I think you should do more research - you might discover that there is no place called "The Shetlands" for starters.

Members are being helpful and pointing out flaws but you appear, perhaps unintentionally, to be adopting an "I know best" attitude. I'm an incomer. My ex-husband hated the place. Seriously, both of you visit. Take onboard the advice given here with good grace because right now, I can sense a hissy fit/flounce.

Good luck with your move, There are propeties available slightly more out of the way afar from major employment hotspots for reasonable rents if you are prepared to commute.

The drive into Lerwick from where I am is approx 35miles each way. It takes me about 40mins or so and it is a pleasant drive, not like being stuck in a traffic Jam for an hour or so as one may experience on the mainland!. The only thing that holds me up is sheep dordling about in the road! :lol:

seriously 2 years up here can be either the best or worst 2 years of your life. it normally takes that long just to adjust to living here. the winters are the real make or brake time. if you can cope with them then odds on is your going to be staying. if not they will get you running after being hit by a bad one.

as unlink says you either love it or hate it. its not a place of half measures. a possibly cheaper option is to buy a smaller older house and do it up. house price are not going to fall in the near or distant future. your looking at paying 10- 24k in rent. you can buy for about 60 if your lucky.

seriously come up if just for your wife sake . shetland is an unique place to live. and expensive and lonely if you don't fit in..

Colin,

OK, before we really get off on the wrong foot.. I did not intend my posting to be 'snide' or otherwise misinterpreted. I was just trying to point out that an awful lot of people turn up here for the 'wrong' reasons and are ill prepared for the vastly different attitudes they will find.

What seems to be an idyllic location at first can turn out be be a nightmare in the long term. Just think about it properly.

Totally unnecessary comment... on several counts.

Firstly you shouldn't patronise anybody by insinuating that we should be 'grateful' and are in some way 'backward' by arrogantly claiming that by coming to Shetland, 'highly skilled' people like you are doing us a favour when we already have a surprisingly large collection of well educated, highly skilled, talented and gifted individuals (we couldn't live here without them..)

You just might have a talent or skill that is in short supply here but, that's another matter.

Don't do any more research and take your chances. That's your shout so, best of luck and there was never any intention of laughing at you (or anybody else for that matter) if you failed...

Lastly, lighten up a bit.. Lots of people here have tried to offer sound advice. Don't lose the head because some of it may not fit with your pre-concieved vision of how we should react.

FWIW

I to am an 'incomer'.

Been here more than 35 years but, to some, I am still an incomer and when I arrived, I brought a talent and skill set that nobody on Shetland had. I didn't shout about it. Just got on with doing what I do..

Most of the skills are leaving the islands and staying away because for some, they have had enough. However, Shetland is a great place to have a spell at staying. It can be inhospitable, mainly because of some folks attitude a small part is the weather. It is no different than going anywhere else to stay, in a big city, you can feel isolated, in a rural town, you can be overwhelmed. See how you like it and good luck.

We moved up 19 years ago :shock: with two small children and three cats.

We rented to start, then bought.

I have never looked back. Shetland is incredible but it is not for everyone. Rent first and see if it really is for you, is my recommendation.

Offer, help and fit in. Adapt to the way of life here. It is so different to south - hard to describe. Yes, the Shetland-way can be frustrating at times but if you return south for anything, you will realise just what a wonderful place this is.

I feel privileged to live here and to have brought my family up here too.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands.

This will not make you friends.