Moving to Shetland

Nellie

Good morning,

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Shetland. I am from a semi-rural village in the West Country, and hubby is from Wales. We currently live in the South East of England, no reason, we just ended up here with job moves. We have both lived in Scotland for a time, not far from Edinburgh, and any chance we had we headed out to the Highlands for the weekend. We are not city people particularly, we like social activities such as karate, walking, book groups, that sort of thing, rather than being bright lights, big city folks.

We know this is a big move for us and if we do it we want to make sure we get it right. We are planning a holiday to come and visit the islands to get a feel for how life is there.

We work in engineering, so hopefully our skills would help us find a job.

I'd be really interested to hear from folks who have made the move. Or any insights folks could give about the way of life, pace of life, being so remote etc.

Are there any practicalities we need to think about? We don't have children, so schools aren't a problem. What about things like fuel, transport, weather (I hate warm weather, so I guess that's one positive!), shopping... There is so much I take for granted here, that may not be so easy when living on an island!

Many thanks!

Engineering is a good line to be good line to be in at the moment in Shetland. There were a few ads in the Shetland Times this week, plus the council ferry service had to cancel services due to a lack of ships engineers.

The downside of moving here at the moment is that accomodation is getting very scarce due to oil related work going on in the islands.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/category/situations-vacant/page/3