• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Unseen Economy; A Retrospective Look At Shetlink Classifieds

classifieds

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 fionajohn

fionajohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

i agree we ald dug £10 a year braks doon ta 0.027 pence a day even an oap widna mind dat  

#22 unlinkedstudent

unlinkedstudent

Account closed at user's request

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3645 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

i agree we ald dug £10 a year braks doon ta 0.027 pence a day even an oap widna mind dat  

Some might if all they did was flog one item a year worth a fiver.

#23 beachcaster

beachcaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Every body kood pay say £ 10 a year and put as many adverts on as they need as i was told last year that i had used up my number and not alowed to put on any more adverts .

I seem to remember someone having an issue with not being able to create new adverts.

It turned out that they had 100* old adverts in the system that had not been deleted and that was causing the code to prevent any new adverts being created.

* - number plucked out of thin air as I can't recall the exact number off hand.

#24 owre-weel

owre-weel

Account closed at user's request

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Some might if all they did was flog one item a year worth a fiver.

Perhaps a small joining fee which would allow members only, to place adverts and access the members only sections. This might discourage ads like the seven puppy's for sale placed this morning. It would also discourage people having more than one log in.

Those who do not want to be a member can still look at ads and buy items but not place an ad?

As long as the fee was reasonable people would still see it as a cost effective way of selling/recycling items.

A slightly larger fee could be charged for business membership.

This would bring in much needed income for server upgrades etc, and hopefully reduce these spam ads. Just a thought!
  • Aaron Foord likes this

#25 B/M/S

B/M/S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Id like more e-bay style buying options in the classifieds , where you can pay for things by paypal, select delivery ,  shetlink could claim a small fee or percentage of each item

#26 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

In one thread we feel for the hard done by trader, in this, charging them more than everyone else. If this is to become a business, then do so, but if it is a community asset, be fair. After all, if it is recruitment , there are still job centres, though there is a little hassle into the signing into the Government Gateway and proving your responsibility as an employer is checked, they are in the main, a better option.

The ebay option would need policing, you can see if you look the problems ebay have had to overcome the less than honorable trader/buyer.

I am sure that us normal users have contributed in the past, and will probably carry on doing so, though, now rectified, I heard that an acknowledgement of such donations were few and far between. this then leads us to the classified section paying for those who do not use that section but happily take up banter and debate in other areas.

If you start to charge, folk will expect.

Edited by shetlandpeat, 14 December 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#27 trout

trout

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6438 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

In one thread we feel for the hard done by trader, in this, charging them more than everyone else.

Can you clarify this point? Grasping what you mean is out with my control at moment?!

Let me ponder: I've been swittlin in the broon muck at the bottom of my stank now for a long set of years and have only become involved in Shetlink now since the last peerie while! Without direction of thought ...

.... contributers / those that donate. I would like to see some form of recognition for those users i.e. a badge at least or other or even further access to areas - or other. This should have been done in the past but, for whatever reason didn't materialise. As has been pointed out in various threads, PM's, Facebook Classifieds - without those contributing - this show would now surely be off-road. A 4x4 website - now that's a thing.

If you start to charge, folk will expect.

Without doubt and a mainstay of this thread and the direction it's taking. People however, have also to 'expect' that over a considerable number of years there has been more than just 'blood, sweat, and tears', put into Shetlink by those behind the scenes to enable it to survive, not only technically, but also on a raft of 'other levels'. Without those bods tender care again we're into 4x4 chat.

We're all in an online realm looking forward to 2014 - where are we all as a community going to drive? 4x4 ?

Id like more e-bay style buying options in the classifieds , where you can pay for things by paypal, select delivery ,  shetlink could claim a small fee or percentage of each item

Yes, auction stylee you mean too?

Re: paying for things. Is there more want from anyone else also? How does everyone see this functioning - i.e. pay 'n post / deliver Shetland only, escrow, etc. Certainly possible but, will need further development to achieve.

^^ Largest issue is Shetlink as a conduit can't also be on top of deals gone sour. Not without people 24x7 policing. I understand this is where Shetlandpeat was driving. PayPal and their dispute system for instance. Massive timespace and money gone into achieving that.

#28 brian.smith

brian.smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Have you ever looked at sponsorship

Edited by brian.smith, 14 December 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#29 trout

trout

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6438 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Way back in the misty times there was chat. Things never got moved forward. See ^^ last post re: materialisation. More so everyone's real lives took precedence over anything else. Shetlink is now where it is.

You fancy a spot of sponsorship? ;)

#30 brian.smith

brian.smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Well with the amount of traffic the site gets I would have thought it would interest some

#31 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have no problem with expecting trade/business paying for Ads, and the "Xmas Special" price IMHO is a reasonable "middle ground" charge within the reach of just about any size of established business. The way I see it, trade/businesses exists for one reason only, to make the owner(s) a profit, so why should Shetlink contribute gratis to the furtherance of someone else's business, and they'd get next to nothing for the same spend with the alternative local media medium's ads which have all been paid for only for a long time.

There's no doubt a whole telephone directory worth of other "enhancements" that could be incorporated to improve the 'selling experience', but from where I'm sitting I'm not seeing any of them being really practical/workable without some form of "policing" from 'da management' - sooooo, that's one for 'da management' to come back on. Is this a viable possibility, or just a good in theory but unlikely to be justifiable in practice idea.....I'm thinking "chicken and egg", but....

Finally, I would be very wary of being "inspired" by, or adopting any ebay stylee "system" without much research, and long and hard consideration - WYS is not necesarily WYG over there, at spin and PR they excel, but for doing what it says on the tin, well, perhaps not so much. Again, we're back to businesses and making profits, ebay's profits are their No.1 priority a long away over any others, and their actions fully reflect that.

#32 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have no problem with expecting trade/business paying for Ads, and the "Xmas Special" price IMHO is a reasonable "middle ground" charge within the reach of just about any size of established business. The way I see it, trade/businesses exists for one reason only, to make the owner(s) a profit, so why should Shetlink contribute gratis to the furtherance of someone else's business, and they'd get next to nothing for the same spend with the alternative local media medium's ads which have all been paid for only for a long time.

There's no doubt a whole telephone directory worth of other "enhancements" that could be incorporated to improve the 'selling experience', but from where I'm sitting I'm not seeing any of them being really practical/workable without some form of "policing" from 'da management' - sooooo, that's one for 'da management' to come back on. Is this a viable possibility, or just a good in theory but unlikely to be justifiable in practice idea.....I'm thinking "chicken and egg", but....

Finally, I would be very wary of being "inspired" by, or adopting any ebay stylee "system" without much research, and long and hard consideration - WYS is not necesarily WYG over there, at spin and PR they excel, but for doing what it says on the tin, well, perhaps not so much. Again, we're back to businesses and making profits, ebay's profits are their No.1 priority a long away over any others, and their actions fully reflect that.

I would think that it is much more complicated than just 'requiring' a business user to register and make payments.  Some business users may decide to sell items which are privately(?) owned and not part of their general business activities.

There would also be the added problem of administration and collection of any fees due.

IMHO, such a scheme would only be possible if all business advertisers were obliged to register with their real name/address and were to agree to paying a small amount towards the costs.  This would, of course, not stop anyone from trying to 'cheat' the system but, such users should be fairly easy to spot.

Going down the Ebay/Paypal route would be fraught with issues such as, requiring some kind of 'official' go ahead in order to charge for certain activities.  All very time consuming and expensive to maintain whereas the current scheme, which only asks for 'voluntary' contributions, seems to work up to a point.

Why not charge all users a small fee to register?  This will do away with most of the  administration etc and Shetlink would then become a business(of sorts) but, it would put everyone on a level playing field and would, almost certainly, get rid of the spam adverts we see from time to time.

Edited by Colin, 17 December 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#33 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

Regards charging for adverts, even if you only took a fixed amount of 3p per ad for the "domestic" adverts, it would make a big odds regards your server / development costs.  Every 33 ads, would be another £1, it would soon stack up.  The 3p contributed by the individual being next to nothing, so everyone would (presumably) be happy to pay?

To avoid high transaction and admin overheads, and to streamline the process of setting up adverts, you could maybe have a system where people "buy" credit up-front (in, say, £3 units) to top up their seller account with.  It would take a hundred three-pence sales to whittle away at £3.

Just as an aside - From the buyer's perspective, something I would love would be a "saved search" facility on Shetlink, like-wot ebay use, to alert sellers by email when something tasty turns up that they've been looking for.  I never have the time to trawl through the Shetlink classifieds regularly enough, unfortunately, but there's a huge range of hellery that I'd love to be alerted to, if and when any of it does appear in the listings!  Again, you could charge for this, say, 10p per "saved search"?  I would be very happy to pay this.

Likely tae tak' a peerie coarn o' time tae code onything lik dis though!!!  Volunteers...?!

#34 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

PS, this probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'd just like to say a quick "thanks" to everyone who works behind the scenes to keep Shetlink going, for the benefit of mere punters like me.  Great effort!  :)

• BigMouth likes this

#35 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

To avoid high transaction and admin overheads, and to streamline the process of setting up adverts, you could maybe have a system where people "buy" credit up-front (in, say, £3 units) to top up their seller account with.  It would take a hundred three-pence sales to whittle away at £3.

Good Idea but, I would say 10p per ad pre-paid with a minimum of £1 spend would be more like it.

Edited by Colin, 18 December 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#36 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

I personally would be happy to pay more than 10p per domestic ad.

But, in setting rates, if it was me, I wouldn't want to scare sellers away to the "free" advertising options elsewhere.  So, would suggest starting any domestic fees at a very low rate, so that people can get used to the idea, and then possibly gradually increasing it (5p per ad equals £1 for every 20 ads) to see what effect it has on sales.  I don't think 3p would curb the number of adverts significantly, but I suspect 10p might.

More obviously though, charge different rates for posts in different categories.  50p for vehicles?  Â£2 for property sales?

The reason I suggested the £3 unit for credit, is that PayPal don't half sting you for each transaction charge....!

#37 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Also, different rates for different categories, allows for zero charge, for posting in "free / recycling".  :)

#38 tooney1

tooney1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

I think its fine charging for trade ads/situations vacant.

Another revenue stream could be charging a fee for an advert to be featured (top of list, bold) like gumtree does. But I would keep the basic offering free, otherwise users will just go elsewhere (facebook classified pages).

More manditory information would be useful - location, maybe photo. Folk also often forget vitals when selling e.g. a car or house - dont know if its possible to offer guidance notes or a default template by category for example?

#39 johno6998

johno6998

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hi - would it be possible for the "expired adverts" to remain in my folder for a longer period before being deleted. I have spoke to a few folk who (like myself) have not sold something and then a few months later decided to try again but the adverts gone and you have to download the whole thing again. Maybe 4 months or so before deleting. Just a thought.

Great website by the way - keep up the good work

Cheers

Johno

#40 admin

admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

^^ Yes, indeed. 

Shetlink are happy to announce that we have moved to a brand spanking new server. This will see a more stable platform from which Shetlink can be served and continue to 'connect Shetland'. This has gone on in the background and has been essentially seamless.

This has been possible only through the continued interest in Shetlink Classifieds, kindly donations, and from the introduction of the Trade / Commerical and Situations Vacant sections. Thank you to all those users. Shetlink aims to continue future development for the Shetlink Shetland online community.

With the new server in place we have, for the meantime as we view server load, stopped archiving old classifieds. This will enable people to go back in time and access their classifieds as per your query johno6998.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classifieds