• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

How to prevent pain and ignore illnesses in the NHS

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hello again, Okay in my last post here I missed out one of my symptons. Hence the symbol ***nb.

This symptom is an insatiable need for sugar, so much so that I had to confess to raiding a biscuit hoard where I live, I did always replace them and I had asked the lady that bought them if it was ok. So I was a biscuit bandit.

I then realised that my my craving for sugar was abnormal. So I went to see the doctor and suggested that I may have a thyroid problem, specifically hypothyroidism. So Paul you took first prize, I owe you a sticky bun. As ghost said sometime ago self diagnosing is the way to go nowadays. The doctor said and these were the words used, "I can assure you that as a male you cannot have this problem." So suitably chastened and redfaced I mumbled a, " sorry."

Now sometime ago I asked for and received a complete copy of medical records so I will have this documented and in my possession.

Now, I did not start this thread to cause trouble for anyone but to highlight some possibly dangerous omissions and I maintain this.

So now I have a problem I have an appointment for a CT scan in February, on the questionaire it asked if I am allergic to iodine, so I am presuming that I may well receive a dose of iodine.

Is it radioactive iodine?

Iodine can affect my warfarin, it can also affect my thyroid.Tomorrow I must contact all involved in my case and warn them of my fears.

as, I do remember Allan, if I remember right he received some bad treatment at the time.

I will also renew and update my list of symptoms etc. I will also print it on a red sheet as the last one is buried in my docs'.

As if to prove a point I decided to make another batch of soup so I boiled a hough of pig and pulled it out of the pan to cut it up and put some veg in the pork water and let it simmer. I accidently ate a piece of the pork with a small portion of bread and lo and behold fell asleep for 2 hours. I will now scrape the pan and put on more veg.

Message to self do not eat even small amounts and leave food on the cooker.

Lately I have made a habit of falling asleep and leaving pans on the hob.

Colin, don't apologise I found it funny and possibly true.

Regards, to all and thanks.

Rex.

#42 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

I have reason to believe that this thread is being watched by someone from the NHS and I am pleased with this.

So thank you and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Rex.

• Frances144 likes this

#43 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Well, you are obviously a little confused and, perhaps, a little frightened as well. 

I'm not a medic and have nothing but anecdotes to pass your way so, I guessed that a little levity might help.

Anyway, I am aware that sugar cravings (sugar is addictive by the way) can point to a number of underlying health problems.  I'm not an expert but, I would try to cut sugar completely as a first step.  It won't kill you to do without it.

Instead of biscuits, try brown bread etc.

#44 as

as

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Rex, I will send you a pm shortly.

With regards to falling asleep while cooking: that is really worrying. Can you set an alarm clock or kitchen timer when you put a pan on the hob? Just as a safe guard.

#45 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

I have reason to believe that this thread is being watched by someone from the NHS and I am pleased with this.

I'd put money on it, and there isn't much I'd say that about. They won't post though.

But its still all good.

Edited by Ghostrider, 26 January 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#46 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

So thank you and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Rex.

Good.  I hope things start to move forwards in treatment (and other things). x

#47 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

rex this passing out is not good. seriously grab your district nurse and explain your worries. hope you have decent smoke alarms if not get those bearded firefighters to put some in. i have a similar problem with sugar the best treatment is a mars bar kept in store. when dieting i use a zero  sugar one and after a few days that problem does not happen. sugar is addictive and can lead to those symptoms.

re the GP a hypo/hyperthyroidism he/she is talking rubbish men can and do have it. i have been tested a number of times for it.

#48 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

I spoke to the district nurse on Monday, he came to check my INR.

I gave him a copy of my post, the symptom one above.

He is now arranging blood tests for tomorrow to test my thyroid functions.

Now, a word of praise for the district nurses, the ones that have visited me have been excellent and caring.

I had my shopping day yesterday. I still have a painful stomach after eating even small amounts.

It is now 0600hrs and I have been awake for 1 1/2 hours now, so I made a massive pot of soup/stew and turned of my oven before relaxing again.

Regards,

Rex.

• as likes this

#49 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

An update to the latest developments in my guinea pig life.

I had my thyroid check.

I also joined Thyroid Uk for advice.

I will also have a second blood test with a private laboratory.

I will post the results etc, on Monday.

My sister died of cancer a week ago today, she lived in Australia, I didn't even know she was ill.

Like so many people there are so many things that I wished I had said, there are also many things that I wish I hadn't said.

Her name is Glenda!

regards,

Rex.

#50 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

So sorry about Glenda.  What a horrid shock for you.

Fingers crossed for the Thyroid results.

xx

#51 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

sorry for your loss.

#52 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

So, here I am again to document what is happening to me now.

My hyperactivity has returned after a few days respite.

I suppose that the death of my sister gave me something different to think of. (Incidently thanks for the condolences), it is nice to know that even though most people don't know me and that no-one knew my sister, that there is support here.

My anxiety seems to have rocketed, I cannot pinpoint the reason. In fact I'm not absolutely sure it is anxiety, it may be frustration. I now also have nightly nightmares. I put nightly there but I do not sleep nightly I sleep within a few minutes of eating and each time for just a short while.

The last time that these short burst of  sleep happened to me was when I worked on Icelandic net boats and the skipper shouted, " Bouyaaa!" when it was my turn  to hook out the bouy.

I can eat a little more but, it does cause pain or at least accentuates it.

I am feeling cold despite a room temperature of 23 degrees.

regards,

Rex.

#53 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

back to the doctors a mild antidepresant may help. its best to get these issues sorted early. 

#54 manxman

manxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

The tiredness, faintness, confusion and craving for carbohydrates all imply low blood sugar. I take it you've been tested for this?

#55 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

back to the doctors a mild antidepresant may help. its best to get these issues sorted early. 

I know you may mean well, but to me this exemplifies just about everything that is the core "problem" with the NHS - in a nutshell, ignore the big picture and throw drugs at the minor issues.

To be blunt, after a month of being knocked about from pillar to post from one "medical professional" to another, especially after having been unwell for some weeks prior, and yet to be not one bit wiser as to what the the problem is, nor what or when, if anything is likely to be done about it. It would come as a surprise to me that Rex wasn't anxious and/or frustrated in the circumstances. Were it me, I'd add a whole slew of other things to the list, such as irritated, annoyed, angry, bitter.....

Not to put too fine a point on it, were something actually be begun to be done to treat and hopefully resolve Rex's problem, I'm sure enough to put money on it, that any anxiety/frustration he feels would rapidly vanish by itself as a result.Throwing more and more drugs at a patient so they "feel as normal as possible" while failing to address the underlying root cause, is as sane as switching your car engine off and coasting down each hill to prevent the engine overheating from lack of coolant for as long as possible, instead of just topping it up - the day will come when you run out of hills to coast down when you seize your engine trying to make it to the next one.

Rex, are you losing weight? I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear it, and no doubt have already thought of it, but after over a month of only very limited eating and drinking you have have to be making inroads in to your body's reserves to maintain yourself, which, I'm sure you don't need to be told is a situation of very finite duration.

I don't know how to get through to NHS people so that they pay attention, listen, understand and believe what their patients tell them, rather than heading away off on some irrelevant tangent of their own. I've tried to do so more times than I care to think about, and have failed the same number of times, but unless you do while you are strong enough to fight with them, you have no chance should your condition take you to a weaker state.

Letting things slide is not really a luxury you have for much longer I would speculate, the stronger you are when you receive whatever treatment you may require, the more rapid and full your recovery is likely to be. The more depleted your body reserves become, the poorer your prognosis.

Edited by Ghostrider, 02 February 2014 - 11:58 PM.

• unlinkedstudent and as like this

#56 as

as

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well said, Ghostrider.

#57 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

as rex has visits from his community nurse they should be keeping track of his weight. hopefully they should work out whats wrong with him soon. i totally agree he should have been seen and tested when it first started. its a joke when our animals get faster and better treatment. our old dog was seen scanned and operated on within 2 days.

we don't know how long rex has been having the none sleeping. however treating his mental health as just a side effect from his other health problems is a mistake. with the death of his sister and his serious concerns for his own health it would be surprising if he did not need help. 

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK HIS WAIT IS ACCEPTABLE  ITS NOT.  his nurse his gp should be putting pressure onto the hospital. its been going on for way to long. its very clear that his consultant has not got a clear message that he should be seen as urgent. maybe he could try to speak to him/her again and make it very clear that its more serious than they think. basically complain to the head of medical services. to the chairman of the health board. even tavish scott. the more noise the quicker they will get there finger out and do something.  

#58 bresail

bresail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

http://thyroid.about.../l/blderryb.htm

I did have a thyroid blood test done last week and I was warned from another source that it would probably be half a test that had no value because it is a test that has no medical value.

My test, had a TSH level of 0.78, range is 0.35 - 3.50 normal - no action. I told you that I had joined Thyroiduk so I spoke to them about my result. I was asked what my t4 and t3 conversion was and by now I knew what they were talking about. But, unfortunately normal - no action means ignore it. You do know of course that ostriches don't bury there heads in the sand

The above address will take you to an article explaining why a correct check should given or at least a valid check. If you do have thyroid problems it would be wise to read it, it is however long winded, but so am I. I have asked if they will do the complete check here in Lerwick and I await an answer. That is about all I can say about it at the moment but if anyone wishes to contact me, then do a Pm.

On Friday I go for a flexible cystoscopy if any of the ladies want to lend a hand they would be welcome. You do know of course that

I was able to eat soups etc and I had a roast chicken dinner, a mini one on Sunday.. It did frighten me and lo and behold, I'm back to non eating again. I thought I may have had to call emergency last night.

So Friday it is, when I suggest that something definite should be done and quickly.

I wonder how do they ever manage to catch an illness in time?

#59 as

as

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Rex, is there anybody who would be able to accompany you to the appointment on Friday?

Is there anybody here from the Lerwick/ Bressay area who would be willing to lend moral support to a fellow Shetlinker??

I am sure that Frances would help out, but she is off the island.

I live out West and don't have a car but if there's no one closer then I will volunteer.

#60 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Next time I would be happy to. Down south with my ill parent doing the nursing bit but please, and I seriously mean it, give me a shout next time. Of I can, I will. 809 432? Back this Sunday. X

Edited by Frances144, 05 February 2014 - 05:02 PM.