On our way

Sparky

Just stumbled across this website quite at random whilst searching for some information on the Shetland and thought I'd sign up and say hello :)

My wife and I currently live in Suffolk but having sold our house we are Northbound and should be moving to your beautiful island sometime during September, with our 3 nippers in tow.

I visited the Shetland last November when I came up for an interview and although I wasn't succesful that time I fell in love with the place and we have been working towards moving there for what seems like a very long time since!

Hopefully I have just about sorted out accomodation and with a little luck and lots of persistance I should have work lined up for me on arrival (or very soon after).

I just wondered if there was any good advice that anyone could offer for a Southern softie before he arrives :wink:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sparky, West Burrafirth is a lovely area, i'm very fond of it myself, especially the hills, lochs and coast in over the back of Engamoor, and, come to think of it, Kellister too, some good trout fishing out that way...ahem anyway, i digress.

Ask not what Shetland can do for you, but what you can do for Shetland, and you'll be fine.

And if you are in W Burrafirth, stock up on essentials in the winter time, and always pay heed to the forecast.

And never regard anyone in the countryside as a stranger. You'll meet them again, however unlikely it seems.

Always wave at cars that stop in passing places for you. In fact in the country wave at anybody for any reason at all, and smile. :D

And never hurry away from an irrelevant conversation with someone unless you have to, pass the time, it always pays off.

And..... erm, i'm getting carried away now. Safe travels :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Welcome Sparky,

I think my brother in law came from Suffolk, or perhaps that's just because his CB handle was The Suffolk Ram, either way there are many worse places to move to than Shetland.

May I suggest if you're living in West Burrafirth, there is some great fishing about there. Both fresh water and sea.

Enjoy your journey, and remember to stay in touch with Shetlink for any help or advice you may need.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I think the way of life in the Shetland:oops: is going to be just what we are looking for. People are all strangers nowadays and although we often like to keep ourselves to ourselves here we really do want to feel a part of a community.

If anyone is able to post up some photos of the West Burrafirth area that would be excellent.

:)

check out:

google map for a satellite eye view .. thats the papa stour ferry pier! and then have a scoot here at panphotos.co.uk:

http://www.panphotos.co.uk/shetland/west_main.asp?index=-1

to see it from land .... check out some of the other panphotos too for a feel of Shetland. ;)

They're taken by a guy called John Pedley - he has a very good eye and was an art teacher I believe? Please correct me anyone if I'm mistaken.

There are things you have to accept living in Shetland. The darkness in the winter and some horrendous gales. Finding the road to West Burrafirth is blocked by snow.....and that there is no chance of getting the power or the phone back on until the road is cleared.

Getting your mail a day later than Lerwick......thats if the mail plane gets in at all. The newspapers may not arrive.......been a bit of that in the past month. Less choice of food and everything else in the shops......a Lerwick supermarket after two days without ferries is a sorry sight. Sadly due to freight costs most things are dearer here than on the mainland.

And watch out for the "surcharge" that a lot of online retailers charge on orders from Shetland.........not all do surcharge, some add on a reasonable bit extra, some add so much you think they do not want your business and some firms just point blank refuse to deliver to Shetland.

Think what the kids might miss......ice rink, bowling alley, cinema (for the moment), Macdonalds. KFC and so on. Nearest theme park somewhere south of Inverness.

If any of that is going to be a problem......I mean a big problem.....then it is time to forget the whole idea. But if good people, clean air, fantastic sunsets, the Northern Lights, the Simmer Dim, waves crashing on the foreshore, good schools, great leisure facilities for the size of the population..........and being in the best place in Scotland.........matter then this is the place to be.

One tip......do not arrive and start telling people how to do things. Maybe something really was done better in England but take it easy. Try the local way first and if after a while you are still convinced you have a better idea then gently mention it.

You can do the virtual West Burrafirth by road tour:

http://www.walls.shetland.co.uk/shetland/west/westburrafirth/020.html

If you click on the "main map" option on that page, it'll take you to the main part of the site (Origin Art), and you can do a virtual tour by road of anywhere and everywhere in Shetland you like.

Thanks again for all the advice :)

I may still be wearing the old rose-tinted glasses but the negatives mentioned so far really don't faze me. In fact, they probably serve more to endear the islands to me!

We tend to do most things as a family so the kids are happiest when we're all together. Coming from a fairly small town things like bowling alley's and ice-rinks will not be missed and we will all (I include the kids in this statement) be very happy to see the back of Mcdonalds and Co. :lol:

The one thing I think I will need is a reasonably reliable broadband connection as I tend to spend a fair bit of time online and it will serve as our connection to family and friends back here, I think that's the only real concern I have at the moment in all honesty. We're all getting very excited about the move and frankly I'd go tomorrow if I could.

Oh, is there a decent butchers on the mainland? Don't recall seeing many on my visit last November :?:

Disaster!!! The house we had all but agreed to rent (was supposed to be phoning the owner tomorrow to confirm) has been let :( She phoned earlier to let us know someone had viewed it over the weekend and she had offered the lease to them.

I was told that there was "no rush" and I'd "no doubt want to look at the property first" but I pretty much said we wanted it.

Although I hate myself for it I can't help but consider the idea they have 'jumped the queue' being local. I'm sure once I've calmed down and you've all no doubt given me an earful for suggesting such a thing I will disount that thought entirely but it does sting a little at the moment.

I'll continue to look but with 5-6 weeks before we have to move out here and no home to move into there I'm starting to worry a little bit!

I've put an ad in the Shetland times and also on the property forum here but if anyone knows of a 3/4 bedroom house to rent in a nice area please let me know :)

I think the way of life in the Shetlands is ...

A word of warning...most people that live here cringe at the sound of 'the Shetlands'. We tend to refer to it as 'Shetland'. Small point but one that you are better off knowing!

Sorry to hear about your housing problem. Hopefully you will get things sorted out and once you get here enjoy your stay.