Camping

erter

Hi,

Hoping to go camping with my boy in the summer holidays, I know of a few places but wondered if anyone knows of some decent, quiet & remote, don't mind if it's a trek away, not interested in the usual campsites, Central Mainland preferably.

Somewhere near the shore or banks for fishing maybe too.

Scott.

You could do worse than drive out to Kirkabister, (out Nesting way), and hike north to the loch of Stavaness. There's brown trout in the loch, and at the sea end of the loch the coalfish come in with the tide. Get sea trout in there too sometimes. Lovely quiet place and great beach to explore.

Just googled loch of stavaness, apparently large cod have been caught in the loch too, I didnt know that. But it's deep water where the sea runs in from time to time so could catch anything I guess.

I've caught coalfish and brown trout there, and a friend caught a 2lb sea trout in there once using mackerel belly bait. Havent been there for years but getting interested again, might just take a trip out there shortly to see what's what.

Guest tiodylb17

The back of Ronas Hill is amazing , loads of lochs , you can walk up from the road , think the one we were at was called roar water , someone might have better knowledge to help 

how about not going onto ronas hill with a air rifle. armed trespass is an offences now  i would suggest reading the following.                       

Legal requirements Foxes

There are no specific legal restrictions on the night shooting of foxes. Authorised persons may legally carry out this form of fox control. Ensure you comply with previous guidance in this code.

Restrictions on the taking and killing of rabbits and hares

The night shooting of rabbits and hares by tenants or occupiers of land, who are not the owners of the land, are subject to the following restrictions. These do not apply to landowners, but they should be aware of the legal restrictions on shooting hares at night:

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 schedule (7) amended Section 6 of the Ground Game Act and Section 50 of The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, to allow night shooting of ground game under certain conditions.

England and Wales: it is lawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game at night if the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take the ground game on their land e.g. holder of shooting rights. The following conditions apply:

1. No person should be authorised by the occupier to kill ground game except: a) Members of his household resident on the land in his occupation B) Persons in his ordinary service on such land e.g. employees c) Any other person, bona fide employed by him for reward in taking and destruction of ground game. The keeping of ground game satisfies the requirements of reward in the absence of money.
  2. Every person so authorised by the occupier, on demand by any other person having a concurrent right or any person so authorised by him in writing, must produce their written authority. In default, a person would not be deemed to be an ‘authorised person’.

Under the Game Act 1831 Section 30 non-compliance with any of the above restrictions may make the person taking ground game a trespasser within the scope of poaching legislation e.g. trespass in pursuit of game. A defence that the person had permission from the occupier would not apply.

Scotland: the following criteria apply:

• It shall not be unlawful for the owner of the shooting rights on any land or any person holding those rights from him, or the occupier of any land to use a firearm for the purpose of killing ground game thereon at night
  • The occupier of any land shall not use a firearm to kill ground game at night (except where he has exclusive right) unless he has obtained the written authority of the other person or one of the other persons entitled to kill ground game
  • An occupier, who is entitled to use a firearm for the purpose of killing ground game, may be subject to the provision of Section 1 of the Ground Game Act 1880, which authorises one other person so to use a firearm. ‘Common Law’ permits a landowner to take and kill game on his land, and, subject to reservation, an agricultural tenant, as occupier, to kill ground game for crop protection.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act defines ‘ground game’ as hares and rabbits.

‘Night’ is defined as one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

Close season Ground game (rabbits and hares)

There is no close season for rabbits or prohibited time of taking with the exception of the provisions of the Ground Game Acts 1880 and 1906, relating to the taking of rabbits on moorland and on unenclosed land.

There is no close season for hares, but they are included in the definition of game and are therefore protected on Sundays and Christmas Day.

The Hares Preservation Act 1892, Sections II and III make it an offence to sell or expose for sale any hare or leveret between 1 March  and 31 July inclusive, but this does not apply to imported foreign hares. This Act is applicable to England, Wales and Scotland.

Taking hares at night

Under the Hares Act 1848 and Hares (Scotland) Act 1848 it is an offence for ‘anyone to use any firearm or gun of any description at night for the purpose of killing game’. This is an additional offence to night poaching where game is being shot during the night, which begins one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. The Ground Game Act (as amended) and The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948 appear to override the prohibition on night shooting of hares by occupiers or persons authorised under the Acts.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is now illegal to shoot mountain hares (Lepus timidus) at night with the aid of a lamp or image intensifier, or at any time using any semi-automatic weapon with a magazine capable of holding more than two rounds of ammunition. However, licences can be granted to allow night shooting under certain circumstances.

Moorland and unenclosed land

Moorland and unenclosed land does not include arable land or detached portions of land less than 25 acres which adjoins arable land.

In England and Wales under the Ground Game Act 1880, as amended by the Ground Game (Amendment) Act 1906, occupiers or authorised persons may only take and kill ground game on moorland or unenclosed land between 1 September and 31 March inclusive, however, firearms may only be used for such purposes between 11 December and 31 March.

In Scotland, Section 1 (3) of the Ground Game Act 1880 has been modified by the Agriculture Act (Scotland) Act 1948 as follows:

The occupier of the land or persons authorised by him to kill ground game, throughout the year, on moorlands and unenclosed lands (not being arable) by all legal means other than by shooting, and by means of firearms over the period from 1 July to 31 March inclusive.

All those who shoot in Britain should conduct themselves according to the law and to the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and courtesy, with full respect for their quarry and a practical interest in wildlife conservation and in the countryside.

Never guess at what the law allows. If in doubt, contact BASC or your local police firearms licensing department.

reading that you would need all the owners permission or occupiers permission. that would be a lot of folks. plus why shoot mountain hares. there are plenty of rabbits to kill. 

how about not going onto ronas hill with a air rifle. armed trespass is an offences now  i would suggest reading the following.                       

reading that you would need all the owners permission or occupiers permission. that would be a lot of folks. plus why shoot mountain hares. there are plenty of rabbits to kill. 

Why bother shooting anything at all unless you are going to eat it...

'Living the life' and 'dreaming the dream' makes it unlikely that you would be a good enough shot to make a clean kill with an air rifle anyway. 

I would also be alarmed at the thought of your son (being younger and less experience(?)) being able to do so as well.

If all you want to do is inflict pain and suffering on defenceless animals then, maybe you are in the wrong place to do it.

Don't give responsible gun owners a bad name.

Why bother shooting anything at all unless you are going to eat it...

'Living the life' and 'dreaming the dream' makes it unlikely that you would be a good enough shot to make a clean kill with an air rifle anyway. 

I would also be alarmed at the thought of your son (being younger and less experience(?)) being able to do so as well.

If all you want to do is inflict pain and suffering on defenceless animals then, maybe you are in the wrong place to do it.

Don't give responsible gun owners a bad name.

im a reasonable shot however i would never dream of hunting hares. they are not hurting anyone so let them be. only time ive used an air rifle on a rabbit is if its sick and im killing it to stop it suffering. i know its not against the law to hunt hares with an air gun but you would need to be close and a very good shot. really not worth it. if i was going to shoot them i think a small bore rifle would be a lot better. again just a reminder you can not go wandering with an weapon of any type. someone shot a pinkfooted goose on our croft last month. had the sspca out to rescue it. if i had caught them i would have reported them. they shot into a field with heavily pregnant ewes. we were not impressed.