Bannock Recipe(s)

Gary

Does anyone have a good recipe for bannocks. I'm in Moscow for a few weeks and have a craving, will try to make some tonight if anyone can tell me how...

Thanks

Gary

Canna hae de starvin!

16oz white flour

1/2 level teaspoon salt

2 rounded teaspoon baking powder

1 tub natural yoghurt

1 egg

1 pt milk

Mind - this is a family sized serving of bannocks, you might want to size it down a bit.

Sift the dry stuff into a bowl. Whisk the egg and yoghurt together with enough milk to make up about a pint.

Make a well in the middle of the dry stuff and pour in the wet stuff. Mix it together till you have a claggy lump. Sprinkle some flour on the table and give it a bit of a knead (good for getting rid of stress). Cut it up into bannock sized bits (my auntie Mary whose recipe this is used to use a flowerpot). Stick it under the grill until risen, turn and leave till browned on the other side.

Enjoy!

Thank you Nautim,

I'll be trying it out tonight.

I've asked my Granny for the recipe a few times but she never measures anything out. She says things like 'A hand foo o dis, an a sprinklin a dat. Mix it all up and den add in some oh dis and a bit maer oh dat'. I always end up with too much of one thing and not enough of something else. I'll try your recipe tonight and maybe give what's left to the people in the office tomorrow.

Thank you again.

Gary

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

It was a 200g pot of yoghurt, 1 egg and probably half a pint of milk if that. I did an egg, yoghurt, bit of mik mix first and then topped up the mix with milk as i mixed it until it looked right. Added 1/2 tsp of whole grain mustard to the liquid and kneeded in some grated cheddar.

They certainly look and smell fantastic. Been strict with my self and waiting until my lamb broth soup is ready for dinner, it's hard work though :lol:

---- ok I couldn't wait until the soup for dinner. yum yum they're lovely 8) , my wife reckons they're better than the ones she's had in town, not that she's biased :lol:

I'm delighted that the recipe is working for you all - the size of yoghurt pot I generally use is one of the small 150g ones. It just gives that touch of sourness that makes the bannocks taste good. You could use buttermilk instead of the milk/yoghurt combination if you want.

It's really my Auntie Mary's recipe, but as she's no longer around I look after the recipe... She was good fun to bake with - we would try out all sorts of combinations, some better than others. If the results were inedible it went on the peat shed roof for the scories!

Stupid questions:

Are you sure it's a pint of milk? I used 150ml yogurt and 1/2 pint of milk and I had to add more flour because it was so gloopy.

What temperature under the grill (I work with an electric oven - can't trust me around gas as I've no sense of smell)

How long should they be left under the grill? 3 kids running around I get a bit absent minded and use my timer for absolutely everything, or else we'd be eating charred food.

If you were to bake them would 200 degrees do, for maybe 10-15 minutes?

Sorry for my silly questions. I'm making your bannocks now nautim, they're under the grill and the kids are bannished from the kitchen so I can keep an eye on them!

:)

probably half a pint of milk if that. I did an egg, yoghurt, bit of milk mix first and then topped up the mix with milk as i mixed it until it looked right.

I did say probably 1/2 pint max and I put a bit in first and then added it a bit at a time as I mixed it in the flour until it looked right as above.

I used an electric grill on full but had the tray lower down and watched them and moved the tray around if any were getting too much heat/ not enough.

When brown enough on one side I turned them over and did the same watching and juggling until done. No idea for an oven sorry.

Luckily I only had one 2 year old running around not 3 kids :lol: