Driving in Shetland

Outdoor69

It's not up to you to press charges, that's for the police. Just report a case of dangerous driving and they will decide whether to take it further. At least then if there is an accident, you will have done what you can. 

Even if the police do not take this case further, the more reports of driving like this they receive, the more likely they are to to attend and do speed checks or whatever to try to curb it.

Even taking into account the views of others who have posted here and regardless of whether the other car speeded up or not, the pick up should not have kept on overtaking around a blind bend. If you or your family or friends were to meet that head on, how would you feel afterwards?

OK I reported it to the cops. I simply emailed them a link to the Youtube clip, but now they want all kinds of other info, such as details of the silver pick-up. Unfortunately I never got that close to the pick-up, to be able to read the number plate.

I think the police are going to do an appeal to the public for info they seek, but they said nothing to me about any follow up on the black pick-up...

Any Shetlinkers have any ideas about the silver pick-up?

• 6 months later...

aaa22,there has always been boy racers and always will be,this lad does not seem to be doing

anything wrong,hes waited to overtake and not cut right in front of you,i think you need to get a

grip of yourself and ask why you need to drive around with cameras in your car, the people that

has seen this video today with me all agree that your SAD. If you want to go snopping around

with your fancy gadgets go an join the army, most young lads drive very well but you will always

get one,you may be a police man but instead of videoing the roads go on the north boats and

catch the buggers taking drugs in to the isles, I would personally shake your hand

aaa22,there has always been boy racers and always will be,this lad does not seem to be doing

anything wrong,hes waited to overtake and not cut right in front of you,i think you need to get a

grip of yourself and ask why you need to drive around with cameras in your car, the people that

has seen this video today with me all agree that your SAD. If you want to go snopping around

with your fancy gadgets go an join the army, most young lads drive very well but you will always

get one,you may be a police man but instead of videoing the roads go on the north boats and

catch the buggers taking drugs in to the isles, I would personally shake your hand

Papsy. This camera has been well worth my while. Before i had it someone smashed into me and claimed it was my fault. After that I got the cameras. 2 times i have used them to prove i have been in the right. and another to catch a thief. as for what you say not cutting in, he did. This is a wide lens camera so even the dash in the car seems far away. I was having a very nice day looking through my new windscreen, now there’s a bloody stone chip right in front of my eye line. If he had not have overtaken and driven sensibly I would not have a stone chip right in front of my eye line. I am sure you would be cursing and swearing them if that happened to you. Bet you would not give them a hug and say thanks for leaving your mark on my new windscreen. Driving like this you will soon fall foul and something bad will happen, this person is not doing less than 80mph as he comes up behind. I have lost friends because people driving like this and hit them. And the same the other way too. It makes me mad when I see drivers driving like this as it won’t be them left hurt over a long period of time. Everyone around them or the people they ran into or both. Name and shame now, maybe next time they feature on the tv news as a fatal. shetlanders are not immune to this ether.

@aaa22 - what was your speed?

Edit:

See, I can't help but wonder if you were so busy "looking through" your "new windscreen" that you omitted to do regular checks in your rear mirror, because if you had done so then you could have increased the gap between you and the car in front.  Besides, judging by the speed of the video playing back, you weren't exactly flooring it and I wonder if indeed YOU were driving in accordance with the road conditions ... at 60mph those poles on the roadside tend to blend in together a tad more than they were doing on your video.

If you want anyone to blame, blame the SIC for the loose chippings.  Were there any signs up advising of loose chippings and any signs recommending a lower speed limit?  Hazards of driving:  loose chippings and punctures ... and those who think 45mph on a fine day on a good road surface is ample.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

@aaa22 - what was your speed?

Edit:

See, I can't help but wonder if you were so busy "looking through" your "new windscreen" that you omitted to do regular checks in your rear mirror, because if you had done so then you could have increased the gap between you and the car in front.  Besides, judging by the speed of the video playing back, you weren't exactly flooring it and I wonder if indeed YOU were driving in accordance with the road conditions ... at 60mph those poles on the roadside tend to blend in together a tad more than they were doing on your video.

If you want anyone to blame, blame the SIC for the loose chippings.  Were there any signs up advising of loose chippings and any signs recommending a lower speed limit?  Hazards of driving:  loose chippings and punctures ... and those who think 45mph on a fine day on a good road surface is ample.

@Suffererof1crankymofo

the speed i was behind the other 2 cars witch you obviously cannot see went back up to 60. the last good spot to overtake they were alternating between 50 and 60 but there were other cars coming so i could not over take. Then the orange car started to fall behind the black. I do not like overtaking around corners that i cannot see around as there could be a speeding bike (not uncommon up here ether) come round the corner. I was aware of him coming up behind me as i was having a think on overtaking the orange car. I am not going to drop back because I too want to get passed but i am not going to "floor it" and hold it there. my car is old but is well maintained and i like this car very much I don’t like thrashing it just because I want passed. I like to get to 60 and press the crews control button and off we go almost all the way to lerwick as there is now a 50mph zone in the way.

technology has moved on alot and blurry shutter effects of moving objects are a thing of the past and in the movies. sure i also think that people doing 45mph. If i could i would have overtaken them, but I dont like to "floor it" as this is just waiting my fuel and for what, could be only 5 seconds in front

I think going to a race track is grate I had a great time. You should try it I think rallying was fun too and off roading. I am all for Shetland having one to a proper one not a stupid bit of small tarmacked carpack. There a place for that kind of driving and it is not on Shetlands roads.

Sure it would be a lovly thing to blast it from lerwick to go over 90 all the way to bray but it is just not safe as there could be anything on the road from a stupid sheep to a tractor. leaving the race track road is one thing. leaving the road and flipping in Shetland now quite deep diches is another.

@aaa22 - I did see the other two cars.  I don't overtake around corners either but where were the corners (plural) on your video?

Sugar, my FlipCam (HD) still shows poles and white lines merging together at 60mph! ;-)

No he pulls in just as the corner comes up because he cannot see around it so he squeezes himself in. you can see his brake lights are on the moment they come into to the shot.

A Flip cam! gosh how on earth can you put up with that in your window. they were pretty hopeless for action shots even in its day, I remember getting one and filming the bikes blurry and poor frame rates. got rid of it a long time ago. na get yourself a right dash cam. I have a mini DVR with the wide lens easily fits behind the mirror and does not distract you or block your vision. cost less that £30

I don't know what the number of corners has to do with anything TBO. Unless you're wanting to argue pointlessly about what constitutes a "corner" e.g. > 90 degree bend. There is more than a single "blind corner" as they are commonly referred to in the video anyway.

The blue car was clearly exceeding 60 while not overtaking, overtook approaching a blind corner and, only at the last minute, cut in rather than continue overtaking round said corner. That's not great driving! They did, at least, not sit right up where the sun don't shine. I'm sure that's a feature which comes as standard on all Audis  :evil:

edit: good point about the brake lights datatech so maybe not quite "last minute". Still not a good maneuver IMO.

Edited by Roachmill

@aaa22 - I did see the other two cars.  I don't overtake around corners either but where were the corners (plural) on your video?

Sugar, my FlipCam (HD) still shows poles and white lines merging together at 60mph! ;-)

No he pulls in just as the corner comes up because he cannot see around it so he squeezes himself in. you can see his brake lights are on the moment they come into to the shot.

A Flip cam! gosh how on earth can you put up with that in your window. they were pretty hopeless for action shots even in its day, I remember getting one and filming the bikes blurry and poor frame rates. got rid of it a long time ago. na get yourself a right dash cam. I have a mini DVR with the wide lens easily fits behind the mirror and does not distract you or block your vision. cost less that £30

Make it full screen you will see that too. but remember there are 2 cars infront of me. he overtakes me. pulls hard in. overtakes the orange car, then hard in again, then the next one. he is a very small dot not way infront of the black car. I dout he is doing 60.

Its not a brilliant piece of driving by any means, but had it been me I'd never have given it a second thought (unless for the killed screen), pretty much "average" driving on Shetland's roads all the time I've known them really. Not sure whether that says more about the lowness of my expectations of what you meet and always have met on the roads, or the guy's driving though.