• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Driving in Shetland

bad driving

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

As a professional driver I know perfectly well what flashing lights mean. :thmbsup and the highway code,.

If anyone has noticed when passing the 20mph flashing amber warnings outside the schools,as you get nearer to them they can appear to go out .

A similar thing happens to "some" cars with led lights and could be confusing with one thinking that a driver is flashing at them when in fact they are not.but just going over an uneven piece of road.

Its all to do with the width of the beam I think.

Possibly i am the only one who has noticed this,but I doubt it.

With many motorists being friendly and giving a flick of the lights  it would be easy as I nearly did and  innocently pull out thinking they are giving way to you..

• Da_Lipper likes this

#122 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Would it be possible for the DVSA ( Driver &Vehicle Standards Agency) to share the use of Tingwall Airport, now that they will lose the AHS site.

A little bit of extra income towards the running of this airport might be enough to ward of its "possible" closure.

Then again there is a fine unused airport in Unst that would surely suffice but a long inconvenient way to go .

#123 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1116 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Driver &Vehicle Standards Agency

Yawn. is it that time already?

#124 The Cutty Sark

The Cutty Sark

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

The only thing that someone "flicking" their lights at me indicates is that their lights are working. Until someone comes up with driving standard of morse code, I'm always a bit cautious of putting my trust in someone else's judgement on what's safe  :ponders: though I take your point. Mind you, if beams get any brighter, I'm pretty sure we can do away with our remaining lighthouses  :rofl:

As a professional driver I know perfectly well what flashing lights mean. :thmbsup and the highway code,.

If anyone has noticed when passing the 20mph flashing amber warnings outside the schools,as you get nearer to them they can appear to go out .

A similar thing happens to "some" cars with led lights and could be confusing with one thinking that a driver is flashing at them when in fact they are not.but just going over an uneven piece of road.

Its all to do with the width of the beam I think.

Possibly i am the only one who has noticed this,but I doubt it.

With many motorists being friendly and giving a flick of the lights  it would be easy as I nearly did and  innocently pull out thinking they are giving way to you..

#125 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

In some countries I believe flashing head lights are a warning, that means give way I am coming through.

#126 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8992 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

It all becomes something of a moot point if you follow the rule, not to commit yourself to any one course of action based on someone else's signal only, regardless what it is. Always ensure they are committed to following through first.

• George. likes this