Poverty in Shetland

angelpie

Hi, has anyone had to use the Food Bank in the last 12 months, is suffering from fuel poverty or just struggling to get by financially on Shetland and willing to talk confidentially to me about their experience? 

I'm writing an article and need some information from people who have actual experience. 

Hope to speak to you soon. 

NJ

Hi Angelpie

If you look on the Shetland news site, there articles regarding poverty by Citizens Advice, whom I'm sure would have some statistics they could share. I also see that the Althing Debate is about poverty. Might be worth attending as this could provide good fodder for your item.

Colin, you cannot simultaneously deride others for being presumptuous, while you yourself make the baseless assumption that angelpie is not also carrying out "boots on the ground" research in conjunction with this request. It is possible (and, indeed, sensible) to use as many channels as are available. Your manner in this thread has been quite aggressive and I cannot figure out why. Whatever angelpie's reasons for wishing to write this article I don't see any need to attack him or her as you have here. 

And you cannot make the "baseless assumption" that he/she is as, no such claim has been made.

I would hazard a guess that the first port of call was, probably, facebook then, maybe, here whilst getting out into the cold, rain, wind etc.to do some 'real' research was pretty low on the list of 'things to do'.

why not. could try your old local newspaper. [/size]

Because writing an article about poverty and receiving payment for it just wouldn't sit right with me at all, that's why not.

Do you expect journalists, academics, or researchers to work for nothing, or do you think that people just shouldn't write about poverty? What about charities and aid agencies which are devoted to fighting poverty, do you think that their staff should also work for nothing?  

As an aside the OP never said they were receiving payment for their article, did you have a point to make by raising that, or are you simply trolling? 

There's lots of data already out there done by such researchers (Rowntree, for example) regarding poverty.  Many aid agencies do have unpaid volunteers who do work for nothing, if by nothing you are measuring it as being no money.

I replied to a point made, I personally would not seek to make money at the expense of others' unfortunate situation - that's me.

Not all journalists are exactly brilliant at reporting the facts these days, if anything, the standard of journalism has declined somewhat over the years into snippet misleading headlines.

The OP may well indeed work for a charity but they don't say.

Now, are you just trolling?

I made no such assumption. My post doesn't depend on that being the case. 

However, you were initially a bit rude, a manner you have decided to ham up further descending into full on beliigerence. You know nothing of this person and are attacking them as if they are incompetent and lazy. You come across as somebody with a bit of a chip on their shoulder about something else, that you have needlessly decided to take out on somebody who made a very fair and reasonable request. 

Rude?  I would have said "concise and to the point" in pointing out the flaws in the op's original request.

The original post seemed, to me anyway, as an attempt to sensationalise (newspapers were mentioned) a very serious problem by someone who may have no direct knowledge of it's extent but, thinks that they can "make something of it".

Minimal information was provided other than that the 'article' may, or may not, be published in an as yet un-named newspaper.

In other words, "let's write it first and then see if anyone wants it".

I couldn't care less whether or not the op gets paid for it (none of my business) but, it seems pretty obvious that he/she is "taking a punt".

Colin said ""I couldn't care less whether or not the op gets paid for it (none of my business) but, it seems pretty obvious that he/she is "taking a punt".""

I see nothing in what the OP has said so far that supports the above statement.  Could simply be that the OP has a genuine concern about poverty in a wealthy place like Shetland and that their article will be seeking to publicise that such poverty can and does happen and perhaps to look for answers to the problem.