• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

EV Charging Shetland

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ichorus

Ichorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hello, I am looking to come up in the new year to Shetland in my EV (Electric Vehicle), just wondering if anyone on here has used the Chargers in Shetland and if they're reliable?

#2 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

all put in this year. but unless your not touring about. i would say dont. distances are pretty big. would be cheaper to hire up here.   

#3 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

I have yet to see one being used.

• Urabug likes this

#4 Twerto

Twerto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2600 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

The are currently 3 in operation within Lerwick.

1 at White House (council head quarters)

1 at Grantfield council offices

1 at Clickimin Leisure Centre 

with a further 6 being installed over the next couple of months.

1 at Ulsta Ferry terminal and one at Gilbertson Park which are both going to be Rapid chargers (30 minute charge)

1 at Fort road Car park

1 at Bixter Bus Exchange

1 at Boddam Shop

1 at Brae Health Center

These 4 will be Mini Charge points.

#5 Ichorus

Ichorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

all put in this year. but unless your not touring about. i would say dont. distances are pretty big. would be cheaper to hire up here.   

Hi, my cars range is typically 90-100miles. Which is enough for the length of Shetland. Once the Rapid charger is in town that will be a great hub for a quick 30min charge (from empty) with others charging between 1hr and 3hrs. We also have a 3pin plug if we stay the night anywhere far away from a charger and out of range.

Hopefully by the time we come up though we will have one with 250+ mile range. 

The are currently 3 in operation within Lerwick.

1 at White House (council head quarters)

1 at Grantfield council offices

1 at Clickimin Leisure Centre 

with a further 6 being installed over the next couple of months.

1 at Ulsta Ferry terminal and one at Gilbertson Park which are both going to be Rapid chargers (30 minute charge)

1 at Fort road Car park

1 at Bixter Bus Exchange

1 at Boddam Shop

1 at Brae Health Center

These 4 will be Mini Charge points.

Thank you. Some of the charge maps I am using aren't showing all of these so this is really handy.

#6 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4805 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

bixters still not installed properly. bollards still around it.

#7 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

Another  option would be to ask at the marinas if you can hook your 3 pin into their 240v berth supplies - bring an extension lead. No shortage of marinas around Shetland.

Try caravan sites on the same basis.

Edited by Scorrie, 01 November 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#8 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

As far as I can see using a normal three pin connection will take over 12 hours to fully charge, so Ok if you sleep nearby.

#9 Ichorus

Ichorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

As far as I can see using a normal three pin connection will take over 12 hours to fully charge, so Ok if you sleep nearby.

Yeah from 0% to 100% it has taken me as little as 10 hours on my 3pin. When you first plug it in it says 18hrs :)
Should rarely be at 0% though.

#10 Ichorus

Ichorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

So a year and a half later I am finally popping up in my EV, just wondering if Boddam has it's charger installed?
I can't find it on the charing apps or network websites.

I should be fine as the car has 200mile range and I am staying somewhere with a charger.
I'll definitely be using the Rapid Charger at Gilbertson Park though.

Are there many EVs in Shetland? I know of an i3 owner.

#11 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Have seen 2 Tesla Model S' in Lerwick, and a couple of Nissan Leafs. EVs are the way forward, especially now that the VED has changed. Every brand new ICE car since April costs at least £140pa unless it's a pure EV, which is zero rated. Even PHEVs have a VED cost. 

#12 Property2017

Property2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

These electric and hybrid cars are a complete joke, the carbon footprint to extract the low energy materials and battery is far more lethal to the environment than it will ever save.

Huge industrial mines with guzzling diesel plant and coal furnaces are how they get the materials.

The best way to save the environment is to maintain and keep your petrol or diesel car for as long as possible.

Edited by Property2017, 23 June 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#13 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Crashbox, cost isn't always the main issue.

For example the Nissan Leaf barely has a charge capacity that will get if from Yell to Lerwick and back.

Good for banging around city centres, rubbish if you live anywhere that involves  a reasonable amount of travel.

• Suffererof1crankymofo likes this

#14 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

82709533.jpg

• tiodylb17 likes this

#15 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

These electric and hybrid cars are a complete joke, the carbon footprint to extract the low energy materials and battery is far more lethal to the environment than it will ever save.

Huge industrial mines with guzzling diesel plant and coal furnaces are how they get the materials.

The best way to save the environment is to maintain and keep your petrol or diesel car for as long as possible.

I kind of held similar beliefs but over the past 7 or 8 months I've been looking into the pros and cons and I've certainly had my eyes opened. Battery technology will be changing over the next few years. The current Li-Ion battery has its weaknesses, one of which is environmental cost during mining, but once the material has been extracted the benefits start. 1.Once mined and refined it'll always be above ground and can be reused over and over again. Fossil fuels a once only use. 2.The lifetime of these batteries will far outlast the car they will be used in. There are at least 3 EV taxis in use in NY City that have well in excess of 500k miles on their clocks. Each one has their original batteries, and they still hold over 70% of their original capacity. 3.Once the batteries have been removed from a vehicle at the end of its life, they can be reused in what is called 'second life' as power storage for homes/offices/factories.  If you listen (as I once did) to the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, then petrol will be the only choice forever, which is clearly ridiculous. There is currently research going on into developing clean batteries which will greatly reduce the environmental concerns and they are hopeful of improving charging speed, capacity and lifespan. The only thing I can do is point you in the direction of Robert Llewellyn's (he of Red Dwarf and Scrapheap Challenge fame) Youtube channel, FullyCharged, which is very informative. https://www.youtube....SgWNs9ZAvRMhW2A

#16 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

Crashbox, cost isn't always the main issue.

For example the Nissan Leaf barely has a charge capacity that will get if from Yell to Lerwick and back.

Good for banging around city centres, rubbish if you live anywhere that involves  a reasonable amount of travel.

Early days, and there are improvements all the time. The technology in use today is very much in its infancy. In the next 10 years the majority of new cars sold will be pure electric, and they will have a range of 300+ miles. Don't dismiss it yet. 

Orkney produces well over 100% of its power needs from renewables, mainly wind, and the council are actively encouraging the residents to swap to EVs. Can't understand why that isn't the case here in Shetland. We have no need to be connected to the national grid for 'our benefit'. 

• Scorrie likes this

#17 shetlandcars

shetlandcars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

In the next 10 years the majority of new cars sold will be pure electric,

The majority....really!?

#18 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I'm fairly confident. A majority is anything greater than 50%, so I can see EVs taking more than half the sales volume in 10 years from now. When you look back at the market share of petrol and diesel cars back in the 1980s. petrol far outnumbered the sales of diesel, but within 10 years the figures had drastically changed. Due to poorly thought out incentives through taxing, the market for diesel engined cars took off. We now all know about the issues with diesel thanks to the 'Dieselgate' scandal and that form of ICE is heading towards near extinction, if not fully gone, with petrol engines going the same way some time after. The number of EVs on UK roads at the end of 2013 was somewhere around 3000 units. It's now in excess of 100k vehicles and climbing. The infrastructure is rapidly improving all the time. Every UK motorway service station now has a number of chargers installed. You can plug-in and recharge within around half an hour. Not as quick as stopping at the filling station and putting fuel in the car, but you don't have to take an EV to the petrol station section of the services, and you don't need to stand by the car holding the pump nozzle while you refuel. The Chargers are in the main carpark, and by the time you grab a coffee, have a stretch, and use the facilities, the car is ready to continue your journey. Next generation of cars and chargers will be inductive, so the car will recharge wirelessly through a plate buried in the parking bay. It'll all be very simple and easy.  

#19 zebedee

zebedee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

Well judging by Volvo's announcement that they are planning to be purely hybrid/electric by 2019, Crashbox may well be right.

Edited by zebedee, 05 July 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#20 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, announced on Sunday that the Model 3 will enter production on Friday, two weeks ahead of schedule. He said they expect to build around 100 cars in August, 1500 cars in September, and by December the factory will be producing 20,000 cars a month. This is going to be the game changer. Prices in the US are expected to start at $35k,  the Model S starting price is well over $60k. Expected range will be 215 miles for the smaller battery pack, in the real world, which is more than adequate I think. Porsche has also announced in the last few weeks that it expects half of its production to be hybrid or pure electric within the next 6 years. Nissan is launching an all-new Leaf later this year, which is expected to have a big hike in its battery range to take on Tesla's Model 3.