Flybe/Loganair flight safety

RileyBKing

I note another flight safety incident today involving a Saab 340 operated by Loganair on behalf of Flybe, this one a charter flight from Aberdeen to Rotterdam, fortunately without any injury.

There do seem to me to have been a disproportionate number of flight incidents in recent times, only one of which that I recall being under the "Act of God" variety, i.e. a lightning strike last December. I do wonder whether there is a maintenance issue, or whether the planes are simply getting old.

I think it would be helpful if some light could be shed on this subject.

I note another flight safety incident today involving a Saab 340 operated by Loganair on behalf of Flybe, this one a charter flight from Aberdeen to Rotterdam, fortunately without any injury.

There do seem to me to have been a disproportionate number of flight incidents in recent times, only one of which that I recall being under the "Act of God" variety, i.e. a lightning strike last December. I do wonder whether there is a maintenance issue, or whether the planes are simply getting old.

I think it would be helpful if some light could be shed on this subject.

Rather than wondering if there are 'maintenance' or airworthiness issues - perhaps you could enlighten us regarding the 'disproportionate number of flight incidents'?

ie: evidence to support your opinion.

on time flights down from 95% to 75% in the last couple of years, "technical faults" being blamed. that is a maintenance issue surely which would mean lack of engineering and/or lack of spares. Ages is less important. as all components have planned replacement schedules. . i.e brooms and handles.

www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/loganair

8 incidents + 1 yesterdays in less than 18 months.

OK, so we have a list of reportable incidents.

In itself, it is meaningless unless it is compared to other airlines on a like for like basis. So what we need is a calculation that takes into account how many aircraft are operated by companies, how many incidents are recorded across the fleet and then convert this into a incident percentage figure. Then we need to categorise these incidents into weather related, pilot error or mechanical/electrical failure.

We can then compare these figures across companies and come up with a set of statistics that either prove or disprove your concerns.

Until that takes place, everything is pure conjecture.

Edited by Scorrie

As opposed to "statistics" :ponders:

That went over my head, Colin, (unlike a Logan Air flight it would seem :razz:  )

Do you mean the linky is giving statistics already? If so, I've missed them. I thought it was just listings without any statistics regarding size of fleet/incident ratios.

Or am I just being a bit thick...again..... ?

Thistle airways to the rescue...perhaps?

Loganair reliability being discussed on this forum;

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/568567-loganair-sf34-rotterdam-hydraulic-failure.html

Be careful how much you read into some of the posts, the egos and politics on PPRUNE make Shetlink look like a well balanced friendly forum...