Library relocation

Davie P

Thanks MuckleJoannie for the links,could be useful will have to investigate further !  

My concerns are mainly with the future use of the library now that more and more folk have faster broadband. 

Internet shopping is changeing the "high street" difficult to see that it will not also impinge on the library services.

Think before our worthy councillors make the decision to spend thousands of pounds of public money,there should be some debate on the matter

Just a though could part of it not be used as a nice warm waiting area for those traveling by bus,Plenty of room for a bus stop perhaps :ponders:  

Edited by Urabug

^ Steady on now. In my experience your average Councillor has a phobia about using email, never mind having the technological understanding and appreciation of something as "complex" as ebooks.

Other than that, agree entirely. Unless someone has figures suggesting the contrary, I would suspect the days of mass loanings of the lastest pulp novel are already history, and libraries are fast heading towards a time when they will be a source of out of print "rarities", short run "local interest" material, prohibitively expensive tomes and donated local collections.

Edited by Ghostrider

Just a though could part of it not be used as a nice warm waiting area for those traveling by bus,Plenty of room for a bus stop perhaps :ponders:  

Excellent idea, Urabug :thmbsup

Considering the disaster that the S.I.C made by giving the entire bus station away - for no good reason - they do need to resolve the problem, and as we all know, you can end up spending a long time waiting around for your bus so the library would be perfect. Plenty to read to while away your time and they might (just "might") put a coffee machine in too :mrgreen:

I am an avid reader, I probably burn through a decent sized novel per month at least, yet I haven't been in a library for years. I have had a kindle for 3 or 4 years and have read almost exclusively ebooks in that time. 

I have also recently started studying again but when I needed a textbook it never even entered my mind to go to the library, I got advised on a textbook to buy, searched it online, read reviews then ordered it. 

There are probably many people who still prefer a proper book but if I have made such a complete transition in a few short years I am sure many more have done/will do the same. So I agree with Ghostrider about the future of libraries.

Excellent idea, Urabug :thmbsup

Considering the disaster that the S.I.C made by giving the entire bus station away - for no good reason - they do need to resolve the problem, and as we all know, you can end up spending a long time waiting around for your bus so the library would be perfect. Plenty to read to while away your time and they might (just "might") put a coffee machine in too :mrgreen:

There is a coffee machine in the existing library.

I am an avid reader, I probably burn through a decent sized novel per month at least, yet I haven't been in a library for years. I have had a kindle for 3 or 4 years and have read almost exclusively ebooks in that time. 

I have also recently started studying again but when I needed a textbook it never even entered my mind to go to the library, I got advised on a textbook to buy, searched it online, read reviews then ordered it. 

There are probably many people who still prefer a proper book but if I have made such a complete transition in a few short years I am sure many more have done/will do the same. So I agree with Ghostrider about the future of libraries.

All great if you can afford it. Kindles aren't cheap, and academic textbooks aren't cheaper. The library also offers key services to people who can't afford a personal computer. We're a wealthy bunch here in Shetland but there are still the disadvantaged few who are dependent on these services for a decent quality of life. 

All great if you can afford it. Kindles aren't cheap, and academic textbooks aren't cheaper. The library also offers key services to people who can't afford a personal computer. We're a wealthy bunch here in Shetland but there are still the disadvantaged few who are dependent on these services for a decent quality of life. 

No argument, as far as toonies are concerned, who can do this at no cost unless shoe leather and puff, but it doesn't stand up so well, if at all for all us yokels. You don't get many trips in to the Big Apple for the cost of basic internet access, even on subsidised buses.

I'd be more concerned about maintaining a decent library service for those who for whatever reason have no intentions of ever having anything to do with the internet, and want (need?) a viable alternative, and are willing to go to the extra bother/expense that it takes to live that way. Their taxes are paying for it too, and they deserve to get a viable return on their investment as well.

No argument, as far as toonies are concerned, who can do this at no cost unless shoe leather and puff, but it doesn't stand up so well, if at all for all us yokels. You don't get many trips in to the Big Apple for the cost of basic internet access, even on subsidised buses.

I'd be more concerned about maintaining a decent library service for those who for whatever reason have no intentions of ever having anything to do with the internet, and want (need?) a viable alternative, and are willing to go to the extra bother/expense that it takes to live that way. Their taxes are paying for it too, and they deserve to get a viable return on their investment as well.

I was about to make the same point regarding affordability for those outside Lerwick. Does the library van not exist any more? That was a much more cost effective accessible service?

Edited by whalsa

A good 40% of Shetland's population lives in Lerwick. Is our approach to equality in the isles really going to be "we can't have it so they shouldn't either"? There's another 20-30% within reach of it through the excellent Central and South Mainland bus routes, many of whom regularly go to town anyway (if we're talking about those in less affluent situations, I'd assume anybody on Job Seeker's Allowance or other employment benefit still has to go to Lerwick regularly to meet with staff at the Job Centre). 

Anybody who's been in the library recently will know it's still well used. The computer lab in particular has never had fewer than two or three people in whenever I've used it. There are good services with not just internet access but printers, scanners etc and access to software such as Driving Theory Test practices. 

And yes, the library vans are still used. There are two of them, operating daily, one of which has just been upgraded. One was in Whalsay this past Wednesday. With respect, that you didn't even know this was still operating makes me question how well placed you actually are to comment on library services. 

Edited by hjasga

A good 40% of Shetland's population lives in Lerwick. Is our approach to equality in the isles really going to be "we can't have it so they shouldn't either"? There's another 20-30% within reach of it through the excellent Central and South Mainland bus routes, many of whom regularly go to town anyway (if we're talking about those in less affluent situations, I'd assume anybody on Job Seeker's Allowance or other employment benefit still has to go to Lerwick regularly to meet with staff at the Job Centre). 

Anybody who's been in the library recently will know it's still well used. The computer lab in particular has never had fewer than two or three people in whenever I've used it. There are good services with not just internet access but printers, scanners etc and access to software such as Driving Theory Test practices. 

And yes, the library vans are still used. There are two of them, operating daily, one of which has just been upgraded. One was in Whalsay this past Wednesday. With respect, that you didn't even know this was still operating makes me question how well placed you actually are to comment on library services. 

Hjasga I think you will find it is nearer 30%. 

Regardless I never said Lerwick shouldn't have a library, nor did I say I knew anything about it. In fact I said I hadn't been inside for years so of course I have no idea how much it is used. 

I am away from home working at the moment so would not have seen the library van last week. As I said previously I read all my books on my kindle so I have no need for the library van, the reason I asked if it was still operating is because I had not seen it around for a considerable time period. Having a central library with a travelling library van is a sensible approach in my opinion and I never said otherwise. All I was saying is caution should be taken when trying to predict future library needs as it is hard to anticipate how peoples habits/usage will change. 

Okay, 30% then. We still have all those in the South and Central Mainland, a fair old whack of whom either regularly access services in the town anyway or are over-60s with free bus passes. I'd maintain that c.60% of Shetlanders could easily access the services of the central library should they wish. 

I am simply trying to put across that there are services offered by the library that are extremely valuable to certain demographics and will likely remain so for some time. Library usage has actually increased in Shetland in recent years:

http://www.shetland-library.gov.uk/documents/Library2015-16ServicePlan.pdf

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/documents/AnnualPerformanceReport.pdf

Edited by hjasga

• 2 years later...

What do you folks think of this?

"Library may stay put as refurb costs rise" http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/17054-library-may-not-return-to-old-building-as-costs-rise

THE DELAY in refurbishing the old Lerwick Library due to council staff being moved there when the North Ness headquarters was evacuated in 2016 has seen the price of the job rise by over £600,000.
Members of Shetland Islands Council's education and families committee heard on Thursday that the cost of refurbishing the building at Hillhead in Lerwick and consolidating library services under one roof has risen from £900,000 to £1.51 million due to increased construction costs and an underestimation of fees and recharges.