EU

Redrobbie99

While the logic is flawed (it is possible for 100% of remain voters to have been well informed (however unlikely that is)), it highlights the point that it was damn near impossible for anyone to have a truly informed opinion. That is, without having dedicated their life to the study of the UK in the EU.

It was obviously easier to have a much clearer picture as a remain voter by virtue of already being in the EU. It was also, sadly, pretty obvious a leave vote would result in a steeper rise in racial tensions.

As far as Shetland goes, the leave campaigners heralded a leave vote as a vote to bring back control of our waters. Which is fine. But it's not exactly in-the-bag and who's to say it will be? They were frittered away going into the EU when the industry was more powerful than it is now, so who's to say it won't get bartered away on another exit deal.

I highly doubt it's going to be boom-time. Which leaves us with all the other leaving fallout to deal with and to keep what's there of the fishing industry going in the mean time. As highly valuable to Shetland as a roaring fishing industry could be... there was more to the vote than fishing!

Well the remain voters were fairly well informed on the ramifications of being in the EU, having actually experienced it for 40 years. 

Being part of something does not always equate to being informed upon the subject.

eg: Going to church doesn't necessarily make you a good Christian.

Alastair Carmichael was taken to court for comments he made which some felt may have influenced how  people voted.

Now we just had a UK democratic vote which concluded the UK  should leave the EU,but because the overall vote for Scotland indicated otherwise, Nicola Sturgeon is now trying to manipulate this by trying to keep Scotland in the EU.

Is it not now the fact  Nicola Sturgeon is trying to avert the course of British democracy and also should now be taken to court.

Sturgeon hasn't got a snowballs on that one.

I've a measure of respect for her as she appears to be one of the few UK politicians of standing that hasn't gone into a tailspin over this.

However, the SNP now have a sizeable headache. They cannot go direct for EU membership without first getting a positive outcome in an Indy ref - and that is no longer a clear cut vote. There will be a sizeable portion of Indy voters (myself included) who voted 'Yes' last time as we believed we would have a good trading relationship with rUK as fellow members of the EU.

This will no longer be the case. Scotland would have to comply with whatever the EU decided regarding trade with rUK. And if the EU decide that they are going to do what the 'remain' campaigners used in EU Project Fear - threaten to punish the UK for leaving - then Scotland has just binned its major trading partner. In a time when all the 'bonus' money from oil has disappeared.

Plus vector in the fact that some new EU members have had to jump through massive fiscal hoops to get into the EU, they will not allow any soft options that allow Scotland to join on more favourable terms than they had. And then there's the 'Separatist' issue for EU countries that have trouble with states wishing to split off..... Basque and Catalonia for example. Spain has already threatened to veto an Indy Scotlands application

Scotland is not well placed for an Indy ref right now - and Nicola knows it. She needs to know what line the UK is going to take next. I believe that only when the SNP have a clear idea on where exactly the UK is heading - and how the negotiations begin to shape up with the EU - will they decide when to hold another referendum.

But, then again......

Edited by Scorrie

Ignoring pointless nitpicking... is there not talk of Scotland's EU membership status being mothballed until a future date e.g. after an independence referendum? So the question of getting back in to the EU would be moot as we wouldn't technically have left. I'm damned if I can find the article again and I'm hoping I didn't imagine it... but then anything is possible with the state my brain's in these days.

Well the remain voters were fairly well informed on the ramifications of being in the EU, having actually experienced it for 40 years. 

Hardly, the EU was only formed on 1 November 1993.

OK Mrs Pedantic. This whole debate refers to the community we've been living in since the 70s, as confirmed when Ghostrider mentioned 1972. 

Found it:

Margaritas Schinas, European Commission spokesperson has said said that the Commission respected the results in Scotland re Britain’s referendum, where a majority of voters supported to remain part of the Union.  Schinas also said that Scotland’s bid to remain in the EU "is an issue that pertains to the constitutional order of the United Kingdom and will have to be dealt with this context".  EU officials later clarified that a deal could be done but only if London and Edinburgh agreed it between themselves first.

In other words, an independent Scotland could be part of the EU after Brexit without re-applying for membership if London and Edinburgh were to agree, EU officials have said.

Separately giving evidence the Scottish parliament Dr Kirsty Hughes, former senior political adviser in the European Commission and an Associate Fellow at Friends of Europe think tank, said she had been told "off the record" that discussions were taking place in the EU over placing Scotland in a "transitional holding pen" after the UK leaves the bloc, thus preventing Scotland from having to go through the process of leaving and re-applying should the public back independence.  She also stated that independence would be the "simplest and most obvious way" to maintain Scotland’s place EU membership following last week’s Brexit vote.

Source (which may possibly have a Scottish bias!): "ScotlandForBusiness"

I'd be dubious about London and Edinburgh "agreeing" to anything. Excessive leverage over westminster would be needed I doubt!

To an extent, yes. Members were split on the vote. 

"Given concerns about the carcinogenicity and endocrine disruptive properties of the herbicide glyphosate, used in many farm and garden applications, the EU Commission should renew its marketing approval for just 7 years, instead of 15, and for professional uses only"

Worth noting that the UK voted to re-approve the use, whilst the French were against. Doubtless there would be no safeguards on use had the commercially inclined British Government had it's way. Be interesting to see it's legal status in the UK in a few years time. 

Edited by Equality Street

I am hoping Farmers in a new UK can be encouraged to replenish the soils with essential minerals, thus passing into our food.

ie I would rather have Tomatoes that are capable of having 57 essential minerals, than the supermarket ones averaging 27 essential minerals.

EU and our UK Gov has not looked after us. 

I want better food legislation from our UK.

I would also like to see Organic Salmon in supermarkets rather than the toxic Salmon that the rest of EU know about and do nothing.