• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Affordable Housing

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Equality Street

Equality Street

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

So, there's another £1 million going into so called Affordable Housing ( http://www.shetnews....rdable-housing)

What does this mean to working people at the lower end of the property market? As a married man with young children I will certainly not be able to to get on the the list for the new Hjaltland houses, given the apparent prerequisite for folks to be separated or unemployed before they can get towards the top of the list for a Hjaltland house. 

Still, seeing as the Staney Hill development will likely be a 'mixed' development like the ones they blasted half the hill at Sound to make then perhaps we could climb the property ladder? Should be able to get something for about the £300-380k mark, going by the current market value. 

My point is, what's being done to address the housing issue for ordinary working families? Nobody on an average income is going to be able to afford the mansions that are being built privately. The best anyone can hope for in Lerwick is to buy an old council house, which are going for about £150k, which is what we paid last year.  Guess I'll have to speak to the divorce lawyers and maybe get back on the dole to get one of the nicer new council houses... 

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo, 14 March 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

So, there's another £1 million going into so called Affordable Housing ( http://www.shetnews....rdable-housing)

What does this mean to working people at the lower end of the property market?

Sausage all! It'll build seven houses, which with a "Waiting List" of over 800 applicants/individuals?? will make so little difference no-one unless the seven who get them will notice.

Edited by Ghostrider, 14 March 2016 - 12:41 PM.

• AlexandraS likes this

#3 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

Surprised that we are not importing cheap chalets from China or else where in the FarEast.

Could be the one thing that is not made over there and imported !

135K per house,it will take a few years rent to re-coup that ,30 years perhaps but folk need homes.

Incidentaly anyone seen the state of some of the houses in Sandveien,looks like the wrong cement was used in the blocks again

These costly repairs will likely divert money away from new builts.

Edited by Urabug, 14 March 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#4 cicero

cicero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

has anybody out there thought about getting a piece of land and with like minded people building a few tiny homes as seen on the tv program of that name. put green magic homes into your computer and that might give you a few ideas

#5 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Looks a good idea cicero, but would need a few adaptations to make them suitable for our extreme weather conditions,wind and rain ect. 

Keeping that grass on the roofs from being washed away might be tricky!

If they could be imbedded into the face of steep cliff,but that would.probably create more problems.

Places like Mavis Grind come to mind :ponders:

#6 cicero

cicero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

you can put rocks on them

#7 cicero

cicero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

I should have said that you can insulate the outside then cover them with small rocks, all we need is a group and a landowner who would like to move on a few acres of useless land, plenty of that here. the site would have to be close to electricity and a water supply, you would use septic tanks, you could start small and add on in later years and they are much cheaper than conventional build

#8 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

Well,cicero not sure i would like to live under a pile of rocks,if the roof collapses ---- :???:

More I think about it,doubt if Green magic would work up here.

#9 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

Just to add a bit to the pot. Petrofac are more or less gone, the Sullom Sweetening Plant is conspicious by its silence, Viking are still wallowing largely directionless, and the new power station is proceeding with all the rapidity of a lazy gereatric sloth....and SIBC reported a few days ago that Shetland had recorded a significant year on year drop in house selling prices.

Soon there'll be a good few cheap houses coming on the go, leaving an equal number of folk with burned fingers, unless something changes to boost the market again.

#10 cicero

cicero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

no chance of the roof collapsing, there is more chance of the normal roof blowing off / a dome on the ground can carry a lot of weight

#11 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

no chance of the roof collapsing, there is more chance of the normal roof blowing off / a dome on the ground can carry a lot of weight

Until with age it crackes,then *#*£££.

#12 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Just to add a bit to the pot. Petrofac are more or less gone, the Sullom Sweetening Plant is conspicious by its silence, Viking are still wallowing largely directionless, and the new power station is proceeding with all the rapidity of a lazy gereatric sloth....and SIBC reported a few days ago that Shetland had recorded a significant year on year drop in house selling prices.

Soon there'll be a good few cheap houses coming on the go, leaving an equal number of folk with burned fingers, unless something changes to boost the market again.

Unfortunately I think you are correct,possibly the rents will also come down!

#13 12493

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

I wish the rents would come down. I have been offered a job in Shetland but at £900 a room? I currently pay £620 for a 4 bedroom house with garage. Who can actually afford to live up here?

• BigMouth likes this

#14 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

I wish the rents would come down. I have been offered a job in Shetland but at £900 a room? I currently pay £620 for a 4 bedroom house with garage. Who can actually afford to live up here?

Contact landlords who are offering houses and negotiate hard.

There's a fair few empty rental properties hanging around with greedy folk thinking they can still charge what they were milking the oil industry for. It'll sink in with the brighter ones that a lower rent long term is better than short term greed.

Unfortunately, those who hocked themselves up to the eyeballs with a buy-to-let mortgage to enable them to get their snout in the trough will be coming unstuck as they can no longer command the retal income to cover the overheads and will offloading their proerties onto the sale market.

That's my take on it, anyway. But even if I'm way off beam, I wouldn't just ignore the higher rental adverts - get in there and negotiate. You never know......

• BigMouth, whalsa, brian.smith and 1 other like this

#15 whalsa

whalsa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Is that £900 a room in Lerwick? You may well find rental properties outwith "da toon" for a lot less. Agree with what Scorrie says, negotiate, the rental market is nowhere near as lucrative as it was even 6 months ago. 

#16 audi-ya-do

audi-ya-do

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:45 AM

You think rent's aren't artificially high here, look at the accommodation section on this site...

...£900 per month for an ex council house in Brae. I would guess more than double the council rate for a similar property. In my experience, over 11 years, there is a huge lack of reasonably priced rented properties in Shetland.

However rents have risen in most places in the UK as more people are priced off the property ladder. But I would hazard no where has seen such a rise as Shetland, especially in the lower end, lower spec properties.  

For the average people on average wages this ties you into renting forever. As, when like me, you spend over half your income on rent  you can never put enough money aside for legal fees and a deposit on any house.

Just a thought to government: Offer 100% loans, to people who rent, to either buy or build a house then pay it back as rent over 20 to 25 years (with a small amount of interest added) after that time the deeds become yours. If you leave within that time then you are treated as if you just rented it and some one else gets the chance, on the same scheme, to buy the property in the same manner.

Offering £2000 towards buying a £200000 to £300000 home is just ridiculous. If I had enough money to buy a £200000 house what difference would £2K make to my decision???

• whalsa likes this

#17 whalsa

whalsa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

You think rent's aren't artificially high here, look at the accommodation section on this site...

...£900 per month for an ex council house in Brae. I would guess more than double the council rate for a similar property. In my experience, over 11 years, there is a huge lack of reasonably priced rented properties in Shetland.

However rents have risen in most places in the UK as more people are priced off the property ladder. But I would hazard no where has seen such a rise as Shetland, especially in the lower end, lower spec properties.  

For the average people on average wages this ties you into renting forever. As, when like me, you spend over half your income on rent  you can never put enough money aside for legal fees and a deposit on any house.

Just a thought to government: Offer 100% loans, to people who rent, to either buy or build a house then pay it back as rent over 20 to 25 years (with a small amount of interest added) after that time the deeds become yours. If you leave within that time then you are treated as if you just rented it and some one else gets the chance, on the same scheme, to buy the property in the same manner.

Offering £2000 towards buying a £200000 to £300000 home is just ridiculous. If I had enough money to buy a £200000 house what difference would £2K make to my decision???

The new Help To Buy ISA scheme can help, if there are two of you and you have one ISA each and can afford to deposit £200 per month (the maximum) then the Government will give you 25% when you go to put a deposit on a house. If two of you put the maximum in then after 4 and a bit years you will have £12k each, the Government will then give each of you a further £3k taking your combined total to £30k. 

I understand everyone can't afford to put away £200 - £400 per month but anything you can afford to save will be worth it as you will not get anything near 25% interest with any other method of saving. 

#18 audi-ya-do

audi-ya-do

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Whalsa, this sounds a great idea, I'm 43 years old and after bills my wife and I have an expendable income of around £50 per month. So I'll leave the maths to you but with most first time buyer mortgages being 20% deposit plus legal fees, I'd say I would be around 60 when I could start buying. Even if I came into a little financial windfall and went to a bank for a mortgage I may as well go in with a clown suit on and big floppy shoes. My point being is not all people qualify for a mortgage. My rent is very high and we've never missed a payment-ever! But I would not be offered a mortgage, if I wanted one, yet I believe I've proved over 25 years of renting I will repay it. We are not alone, millions are in the same position, hence my idea about hire purchase type schemes.

I have resigned myself to being on the rental conveyor forever. I just worry, as many do, that I will eventually be unable to afford to keep a roof over our heads due to ever spiraling (greedy?) private rents. 

#19 Da Burra Shop

Da Burra Shop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Whalsa, this sounds a great idea, I'm 43 years old and after bills my wife and I have an expendable income of around £50 per month. So I'll leave the maths to you but with most first time buyer mortgages being 20% deposit plus legal fees, I'd say I would be around 60 when I could start buying. Even if I came into a little financial windfall and went to a bank for a mortgage I may as well go in with a clown suit on and big floppy shoes. My point being is not all people qualify for a mortgage. My rent is very high and we've never missed a payment-ever! But I would not be offered a mortgage, if I wanted one, yet I believe I've proved over 25 years of renting I will repay it. We are not alone, millions are in the same position, hence my idea about hire purchase type schemes.

I have resigned myself to being on the rental conveyor forever. I just worry, as many do, that I will eventually be unable to afford to keep a roof over our heads due to ever spiraling (greedy?) private rents. 

It would seem the right to buy scheme suited your situation a pity it is no longer available.

#20 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

Where can I afford to live?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-23234033