Home insurance

gibby

Gibby I forgot to specify my house was timber clad to an insurance company a few years ago (I forget the name of the company).

Luckily I noticed when I got the paperwork through and phoned to correct my mistake, they said they would have to charge me an extortionate rate which I politely declined and cancelled.

I then went onto moneysupermarket.com, when you ask for quotes they have a list of assumptions when you're filling out the details eg...

1)Your house is more than 400 metres from a body of water

2)There are no trees within x metres of your house

3your house is brick clad with slate roof

Etc etc etc

You can click on the assumption regarding the building material used in your house and change it to timber clad and retrieve the quotes, I've just done it myself to make sure what I'm telling you is correct and have recieved quite a few reasonable quotes.

You could also try the Clydesdale Bank. I had similar problems trying to insure my house. I even had one woman who asked if I was sure there was no bricks in my house and when I said no she asked house my house stayed up if there were no bricks in it!! Needless to say I just ended the call there and then.