North Isles Bus - Not Allowed To Park Right Outside Tesco Store

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

They could save more fuel by not running the bus! Seriously though, I am only surprised that the bus driver manages to get a parking place there as it is normally full of cars. The temptation to move one with the keys left in it and the engine running is difficult to bear!

You know the bus has to run BigMouth. :-)

Yes - last Friday, the bus couldn't find a parking place in the car-park - Christmas looms... 

Edited by Fetlar Writer

There is a bus stop with shelter on sea road.  Town service uses it.  Interesting to see that google maps show a bus stop in the middle of the Tesco car park for some of the shopper services.  But sad to say that although it is handy to have the bus stopping at the door there is a real risk to people using the pedestrian crossing when the bus is there.  Incidentally not only the North Isles service but the Bressay shopper and I think a south mainland shopper also stop there.

...... put a bus stop on the Sea road right outside the gap in Tesco's stane wall.

No, provision for pedestrian traffic should minimise interaction with motorised traffic, removing it totally if possible.

The Zebra crossings aren't legally zebra crossings as there are no beacons. Pedestrians cross at their peril.

Of course there has to be a bus! Those poor fok of Fetlar, Unst and Yell deserve some time in the big city!

"The Zebra crossings aren't legally zebra crossings as there are no beacons. Pedestrians cross at their peril."

AFAIK, not one of the markings/crossing controls are "legal" as the car park is private property and not a public road.  They are "advisory" only.

That doesn't mean that Tesco cannot "police" them any way they see fit.

"There is a bus stop with shelter on sea road.  Town service uses it."

There is also a bus stop on the South Road in front of Tesco.

I would imagine that there might be a bit of a row brewing if "shopper" buses started "parking up" in either of these places as they would definitely cause an obstruction/hazard.

Having said that, I have (twice) seen a HGV "low loader" parked on the Sea Road (and causing quite an obstruction) whilst the driver was in Tesco.   Traffic was stopped in both directions when the Town Service had to pick up/drop off passengers.

Bottom line is that if Tesco wishes to serve country "shopper" buses then, they should provide adequate and safe parking places.

"So, I'll be writing. A suggestion - anyone who needs assistance to get their shopping to any bus that will be parked in the car-park in the future - ask a Tesco member of staff to assist them across the car-park with their trolley"

By all means ask a member of staff for assistance. That's what they are there for (and I have already seen them "assisting") but, I would suggest that anyone who is capable of spending half an hour, or more, pushing a trolley around Tesco should be more than capable of pushing the trolley a few yards across the car park.

I've just remembered something:

Back in 2005-ish, Tescos built one of their larger type stores in Wick - where we were living at the time. A very good store on an edge of town location.

The car park was absolutely massive compared to Lerwicks' and taxis used to queue just outside the store front (about 3 or 4 cabs at a time - nothing excessive) waiting for hire. After a few weeks they were politely requested not to wait for hire on Tescos property as there were concerns about pedestrians having negotiate stationary vehicles not in specific bays. Immediate pickup and dropoffs were still OK, mind.

Also, even though there was ample room, a bus stop was not incorporated into the parking area during the build. A layby had to be constructed off-site on the short section of public road that went from the main A99 road to Tescos own car park. A complete pain in the futtocks for any pedestrian shoppers as they had to negotiate the Tescos filling station with their shopping prior to accessing the layby. Also, the trolleys were set to 'lock' as you got to the filling station.....Oh how the pedestrian shoppers laughed......

So, I would say that could possibly be a company policy to keep public transport off site and not necessarily a situation unique to Lerwick

Edited by Scorrie

If anyone is denying you some "independence"(?) it is Tesco/Co-op, not me and, Tesco/Co-op are not "social workers".... 

My position is that a "Shopper Bus" parked up at the store entrance creates a "bottleneck", restricts visibility, and is a dangerous hazard and an inconvenience to ALL store users. 

You also have to keep in mind that the "Shopper Buses" are for EVERYONE to use and are not just for "disabled/elderly folk".

As for insufficient staff and only having 45 minutes in the store, you should take that up with Tesco/Co-op and the bus operators.