• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Lerwick Up Helly Aa - sexist or traditional?

up helly-aa

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Poll: Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (104 member(s) have cast votes)

In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

1. Yes (54 votes [51.92%])

Percentage of vote: 51.92%

2. Voted No (50 votes [48.08%])

Percentage of vote: 48.08%

Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

1. Yes (49 votes [47.12%])

Percentage of vote: 47.12%

2. Voted No (55 votes [52.88%])

Percentage of vote: 52.88%

The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

1. Sexist (42 votes [40.38%])

Percentage of vote: 40.38%

2. Voted Traditional (62 votes [59.62%])

Percentage of vote: 59.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#166 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9324 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

^ I think when the 'protestors' became their own worst enemy when they began to appear to imply (perhaps unwittingly or by accident) that the women who are already involved with UHA in some way, were some sort of downtrodden '1950's housewife' people, who didn't dare question their man's word, and were in some way 'conditioned' to believe they liked things exactly as they are.

The Committee has to represent and act upon the majority will of the participants, nobody else, if they didn't they'd soon be talking to themselves, as the participants would just go and do their own thing. The women who make suits etc, organise and run the venues, and attend as guests are as much participants as guizers in squads, and there's probably more of them than there are participating male guizers. Unless you get a majority of those women supporting change, whom the committee has to listen to, nothing is going to happen, the opinion of non-participants is of no concern to them.

• Russabell likes this

#167 Rasmie

Rasmie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

While I've enjoyed being in mixed-sex squads in other festivals, I enjoy Lerwick where the normally hen-picked working class indigenous Shetlanders can have one boys night out a year.

#168 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9324 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:33 AM

^......and dat wis why Rasmie wis met it da tap idda Soond Brae da neest mornin be a bawnd on men in tights wavin firey brawnds, an nevir allooed ta set fit idda toon igyen. ;-) :lol:

• George. likes this

#169 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

A very well written letter from a woman who loves Lerwick Up Helly Aa the "way it is"

Women are a major part of Up Helly Aa

It's refreshing to have a 'long read' from this point of view. The polarised social media insult trading is very tiresome

• Russabell likes this

#170 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

Read it myself, and I am happy to agree with the Lady 100%.

The whole debate has been driven by far to much "screaming" in the "social media echo chamber", and fueled by cheap and inaccurate reporting.  Indignant sensationalism over content and a misplaced sense of "entitlement" will be the ruin of it.

I don't take part in Up Helly Aa, nor do I "contribute" in any way at all.  And, I don't "do" Facebook either.  It's just that I happen to believe that it should be left alone.

Want to be in a Fire Festival, there are 11 others to choose from.  If you  can get in....

• Russabell likes this

#171 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

I'm pleased to see the SIC has clarified their position on this. It's the first time for a while any 'new information' has been introduced into the ongoing opinion based discussions.

https://www.shetnews...h-equality-law/

In previous years the sexism discussion only came up around the time of Up Helly-Aa, but now it seems to be on-going on social media, and the 'traditional' local and national media seems intent on keeping the story current too.

It is a shame for those who want to guize but can't, but until there's a change in consensus amongst those involved (guizers, hosts and hostesses, and committee) and/or there's a change in legislation then I can't see the current situation changing. It is perhaps symptomatic of wider discussions around identity politics - in this instance a group of folk who are not currently involved to the extent they wish to be imposing their wishes on those who are involved and are happy with the situation? Who knows.

A change will probably come but I don't think that perpetually criticising those involved, or those who hold more traditional opinions, is helping and only seems to be causing positions to become ever more entrenched.

#172 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Don't see many men in the ladies football team or the ladies rowing, scottish women's institutes ect.

Could be the Lerwick Up Helly Aa is deemed as an "all male" event.

Where would a transexual fit into any of those scenarious   :ponders:

#173 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9324 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

Isn't UHA allegedly at least equally as nepotistic as it is allegedly sexist, and aren't the two intertwined?

Even *if* UHA had female squad members, it would be the female friends and relatives of existing squad members first, random females with no connection to anyone already in a squad would have no more, or less chance of a squad place than random males in the same circumstances have right now. That's how it works, it's who you know, not who or what you are that discriminates between those 'chosen' and those not.

Edited by Ghostrider, 11 May 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#174 Rasmie

Rasmie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yes any change would need to come from within. I.e the females from a: inside the current up helly as "families" and b: Uthe ladies of Lerwick. I suspect outsiders of any gender will have no sway.

#175 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

This is going to upset some people but, if women want to be in UHA so badly.  Why don't they start their own event..? Don't see much point in a bunch of people who are not really "wanted" by the majority in any squad trying to force their way in regardless.

#176 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

https://eresearch.qm...e=1&isAllowed=y

Meanwhile, an ugly rumour is spreading(?) that Douglas from the Lurpack advert has melted.  <G> 

<troll>Obviously, a woman somewhere has not been doing he job properly </troll>

#177 pernjim

pernjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

So, this is going to upset a few people (hahahahaha)...

'Sexist or traditional'?  Who says it's not both?  I think your highly representative poll is missing a box.

• George. likes this

#178 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9324 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

The question will be a moot point as soon as Greta gets to hear of the whole shenanigans, she'll be here crusading to have it banned......all in all the carbon footprint generated by the whole UHA season must be as eye watering as the reek from the torches.

#179 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

'Sexist or traditional'?  Who says it's not both?

Possibly more accurate to suggest that it's all too often traditionally sexist.

#180 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

Despite the various legal muttering by a status quo proponent, I can’t understand why they don’t simply say there is no bar to females joining a squad. With the current rules it is unlikely a new squad would get in unless the festival had some unforeseen decline. Therefore it would take a considerable time before it gradually changed. Mind you, I reckon, most females are not daft enough to invest 15 years of savings and time on one big pi55up.