• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Tory Brexit white paper, are they selling out our fisheries (again)?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Dirty smelly stuff = money

#17 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

How many folk want to work in the fishing sector now ! Is this not seen as a dirty,smelly and unpleasant job.  

That could be seen to a be rather derogatory view of fishing crews in general.

(for any fishermen reading this, derogatory means disrespectful)

Probably so,but believe me many, especially among the young ones do not want to get there hands "dirty" but they still want big money.

I have great admiration for our fishermen who work very hard , but also a bit envious of the rewards that some of them make.

The skills required in the processing of fish also  requires some praise. Not something everyone can do.

What would our diet be like without a bit of fish occasionally.

#18 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

How many folk want to work in the fishing sector now ! Is this not seen as a dirty,smelly and unpleasant job.  

no worse than agriculture essy kert nurse social care worker sewerage worker slaughterman undertaker etc

• thebfg likes this

#19 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

no worse than agriculture essy kert nurse social care worker sewerage worker slaughterman undertaker etc

Absolutely correct, essential jobs which are grossly undervalued but which we are all dependent on.

• thebfg likes this

#20 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

The one point which I am informed  puts some folk of working in the fish, is the irregular supply due to bad catches,weather,boats tied up because of quota restrictions ect.

If one is working "piece work" it is difficult to maintain a reasonable wage if you have nothing coming in to process,and are paid by what you process.

Brexit cannot and will not solve all these problems but hopefully the UK will get what is rightly ours,helping us further develop and maintain our place in the fishing industry.

Teresa May should be invited (forced)to go"aff" with some of the fishing fleet, and have discussion with all involved in the industry then possibly she might understand the situation better,leading to what we all hope is a sensible conclusion for all .

Difficult to negotiate something you know little about, and I'm certainly in that position with all the "bull**it" that has been thrown at it in the past 40years or so, you would need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to understand it all.

Get rid of all the unnecessary red tape and let everyone get on with the job.

#21 Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Teresa May should be invited (forced)to go"aff" with some of the fishing fleet, and have discussion with all involved in the industry then possibly she might understand the situation better,leading to what we all hope is a sensible conclusion for all .

Unless I'm massively mis-informed, no Tory has ever given a toss about people within an industry. And why the fishing community believe they have some golden right to a lifetime career over miners, steelworkers, junior doctors, soldiers, firefighters or any other member of a Tory decimated industry is beyond me.

#22 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Unless I'm massively mis-informed, no Tory has ever given a toss about people within an industry. And why the fishing community believe they have some golden right to a lifetime career over miners, steelworkers, junior doctors, soldiers, firefighters or any other member of a Tory decimated industry is beyond me.

Thankfully I have no allegiance to any political party,but it is economics that is the driving force .

When labour was in power it was spend,spend and spend and we all know where that has got us. We cannot have our cake and eat it.

Now it's constrain,constrain and constrain to the point that councils and health services hardly have enough to function.

It's the same old story, company's and for that matter ourselves , will buy commodities from the cheapest source available and very often that will put our own industries out of business.

What is the answer --tax everything entering the country.

We could easily have,and possibly do have Spanish fishing boats catching what we would call our fish,processing them and us buying them "back"at a cheaper price, than we could process them for in the UK. 

It is all to do with wages and the operating costs and it will not make a jot of differ what party is in power,but those at the top of the ladder who award themselves massive salaries should show an example by demanding less.

#23 ll

ll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

A bit disappointing what with the NAFC in Shetland that the boats are so heavily crewed by Ghanaians, Filipinos and Eastern Europeans. Are there not enough locals wanting to fish?
  • Urabug likes this

#24 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

Even Compass Head is experiencing cut backs --must have been a very heavy Tory (Scorrie)

Could be said a hard breaksite   :rofl:

http://www.shetnews....-cliff-collapse

Edited by Urabug, 13 April 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• brecken likes this

#25 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Even Compass Head is experiencing cut backs --must have been a very heavy Tory (Scorrie)

I hope you're not saying I'm a Tory, Urabug. :razz:

But I'm definitely heavy enough to cause landlsides and rockfalls.......

#26 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

When I first saw this link two things ran through my mind:

"Oh dear, It looks like Cliff Richard maybe joining the list of deid pop stars"  :-(

And then:

"Uh, what was he doing on Compass head? I didn't even know he was in Shetland?"  :???:

Edited by Scorrie, 14 April 2017 - 04:46 AM.

#27 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

I hope you're not saying I'm a Tory, Urabug. :razz:

But I'm definitely heavy enough to cause landlsides and rockfalls.......

No I would not make that kind suggestion,but there again you could be! :evil:

Nope! they blew yon horn a few weeks ago to welcome spring,mabe that what has rattled the "rotten" banks  :roll:

If dey blaw him next year will da light dissapear :ponders:

#28 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

A bit disappointing what with the NAFC in Shetland that the boats are so heavily crewed by Ghanaians, Filipinos and Eastern Europeans. Are there not enough locals wanting to fish?

globalisation and economics if you make more money employing the foreigner then why not and if the lesser take home pay of the foreigner has the same or superior buying power in his country as a higher rate a local would expect has in this one is any of it so wrong

#29 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

globalisation and economics if you make more money employing the foreigner then why not and if the lesser take home pay of the foreigner has the same or superior buying power in his country as a higher rate a local would expect has in this one is any of it so wrong

Allegiance comes to mind .Folk up and down the UK cared more about their local communities many years ago consequentially employing local labour and selling businesses/property best they could to keep it in that "community".

Alas! these days are long gone, when selling it goes to the highest bidder no matter where they are from,and if your an employer it is who will do the job for as little as possible.

We live in a global market now a days and our only allegiance is to ourselves to make money, no longer do we really care about who comes or goes in the community so we will sell to who ever and employ who ever.

Well that is how I see it.

Will BREXIT change that ?  NO

#30 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

^^^
"Will BREXIT change that ? NO"
Brexit changes everything, a small example is the 13% to 20% import tariff the EU charges Norway on processed salmon which effectively means all Norweigen salmon processing has been moved to Poland to avoid tariffs.
What will happen to our fish farming industry?