• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Definitely, actually moving to Shetland

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lupine

lupine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

Hi all,

My partner and I came up to Shetland last Easter, and again this February. We've had an offer on a house on the Shetland mainland accepted, and it's fair to say we're pretty excited about it! All things going well, we should be here in April or May.

I'm bringing my job with me - software stuff, work from home, all very 21st century. Obviously, the first thing I do with a new place is find a forum for it :P. Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

#2 RileyBKing

RileyBKing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

This may be a statement of the obvious, but i hope you have checked broadband speeds for your chosen location, even on the mainland this is patchy and given you qre in IT may be a limitation. Having said that, all the best!

#3 Equality Street

Equality Street

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Welcome. I recommend joining some of the many facebook sites devoted to the isles. Shetlink used to be awesome and I still check in from time to time, but a few years back it became clear that a few folk were dominating the forum and their negativity has deterred most folk from getting involved to the extent that they used to. Not intending to put you off, just best to be aware that the forum isn't really a representative sample of the wider Shetland public! Good luck :-)

• sludgegulper and PurpleRonnie like this

#4 lupine

lupine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Yes! Fibre (or the lack of it, rather) ruled out quite a few nice houses, but the place we've settled on has better internet than back home in Yorkshire :). Had to go into town today and work, it was off all day *grumble grumble*.

No Facebook for me. I wouldn't say I'm on the paranoid side, but others might :D.

#5 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3632 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Enjoy and welcome !

#6 Daegerty

Daegerty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

How are you finding it so far?

I'd love to move to Shetland if I could and I also work from home but unfortunately I still have to go into the office some times :(

#7 lupine

lupine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

We're still not there! Mortgages take such a long time :/. Hopefully, we'll be in by the start of May.

Exactly one carload of stuff is coming with us.

There are direct-ish flights to Manchester from September, I don't know whereabouts you are right now, but maybe that helps ^^.

#8 lupine

lupine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

This week. Yesssssssssss.

• George. likes this

#9 PeterB

PeterB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:11 AM

Direct..ish flights to Manchester?  I think not.  I would love that but it seems a three hour wait in Aberdeen is usually unavoidable.