• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Electric Ferries

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2022 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-39478856

Interesting?

• Skerriesinthewilderness likes this

#2 Guest_Fetlar Writer_*

Guest_Fetlar Writer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Definitely interesting. They'd have to have a non-electric standby boat if the electricity goes off for the many reasons it does - to carry the electricians out to some of the more remote islands...

With the batteries being so hefty, is there an increased risk of fire? But I guess the risk would probably outweigh the benefits of less pollution.

#3 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

> is there an increased risk of fire?

Some types of batteries are more risky to use than others.

I hear Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO 4) batteries are one of the safer ones, as such I'm looking to install them in my own trike to upgrade the current Sealed Lead Acid batteries.

The bit that caught my attention was:

> reduce energy costs by 60% or more

Now if the ferry company also owned some electricity producing infrastructure, there wouldn't be any fuel costs. :-)

> to carry the electricians

I hear there is a shortage of such trained people up here.
(When I first arrived, someone asked me if I was one, as they was going to have to wait a week for someone to come up to the island to fix things..)

Not something I hear is going to be helped if they close the Lerwick power station..

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot, 30 May 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#4 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

What use are electric ferries when we should be using tunnels and bridges. After all, they can be available 24/7, unlike any sort of ferry.

• waarigeo likes this

#5 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

I'm a big fan of tunnels, is Fetlar going to get one too. :-)

#6 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

There is a chance of a tunnel or bridge running from Bluemull to Fetlar and there is a little info regarding it in Shetland Inter Island Transport Study. Would be much more effective for getting back and forward to Fetlar - and all the other islands. When it will take place, though, as so many claim that the wee ferries are awfy important.

Edited by George., 01 June 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#7 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

How long would a Fetlar tunnel have to be ?

Maybe what we need is a local social enterprise tunneling company and we could build our own tunnels at cost price..

A bit of crowd funding, perhaps we wouldn't need to wait for the council to do anything.

Didn't all the elected council folk each say they was pro-tunnel before getting elected...

I wonder what any of them have done about the issue as I've not heard a thing !

#8 PJS1979

PJS1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

None of the wind turbines here have made any reduction to the amount of heavy oil burned in the power stations, not convinced by electric ferries either , get tunnels sorted asap !

Edited by PJS1979, 01 June 2018 - 05:04 PM.

• waarigeo likes this

#9 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

Talking of power stations, are we still going to lose the Lerwick one ?

#10 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Yes. Sometime around 2025.

#11 sabre13

sabre13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:45 PM

Bridges in Shetland with the high winds here ye right

And Tunnels are all fine and well if the rock structure is correct 

There are many who do not want tunnels as the outer island which they live on would then get built up and ruined by greedy money makers building houses ,flats etc to rent out so spoiling the landscape, peace and wildlife which people on those outer islands love and why they moved there in the first place.

The wind turbines have made little impact on the amount of oil burned in the power stations because they are inefficient and this country just went along with them to comply with EU law of cutting down emissions but in comparison to wave generation they are a waste of time.

Edited by sabre13, 06 June 2018 - 12:11 AM.

• PJS1979 likes this

#12 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

There are many who do not want tunnels as the outer island which they live on would then get built up and ruined by greedy money makers building houses ,flats etc to rent out so spoiling the landscape, peace and wildlife which people on those outer islands love and why they moved there in the first place.

There are many that do want tunnels and bridges. They need them to access their employers, otherwise they can't get to work. They also need them to access NHS Scotland. People need rapid access to medics for surgery and care.

The wind turbines have made little impact on the amount of oil burned in the power stations because they are inefficient and this country just went along with them to comply with EU law of cutting down emissions but in comparison to wave generation they are a waste of time.

Wind turbines have made little impact on the amount of oil burned in power stations. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, they insist on using power stations that are no longer required in the way that they were before. Secondly, wind turbines don't burn oil in any way at all but power stations continue to, regardless.

Edited by George., 07 June 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#13 PJS1979

PJS1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

George the whole idea of a wind turbine is to use less fossil fuels, with all the turbines erected in Shetland have they made any reduction in the amount of fuel burned , the answer is NO therefore they have been a complete waste of time to date and subsidized by everyone paying their electric bill.

#14 Ian_H

Ian_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Well actually, SSE claim to be using 10% less diesel fuel now than they did previously. http://news.ssen.co.uk/news/all-articles/2017/06/northern-isles-new-energy-solutions-project/

#15 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

George the whole idea of a wind turbine is to use less fossil fuels, with all the turbines erected in Shetland have they made any reduction in the amount of fuel burned , the answer is NO therefore they have been a complete waste of time to date and subsidized by everyone paying their electric bill.

Have they finished putting up all the turbines, PJS?

Well actually, SSE claim to be using 10% less diesel fuel now than they did previously. http://news.ssen.co.uk/news/all-articles/2017/06/northern-isles-new-energy-solutions-project/

What is in any way relevant to the claims that SSE chooses to come out with, Ian? Is there any proof that they exist in any way at all?

#16 Ian_H

Ian_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

What is in any way relevant to the claims that SSE chooses to come out with, Ian? Is there any proof that they exist in any way at all?

Well, the power station exists. Electricity comes out the ends of the wires when you switch on a light bulb. So I am willing to believe that SSE does exist. And willing to believe that wind turbines means that they don’t use quite as much diesel as they would do without them.

#17 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4829 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

wellour little 5 kw 3. something grid connected has saved us thousands since its been installed. so how the others have not done the same seems odd. its cut our leky bill by a 1/2 so its taking load off the main generators. 

#18 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Well, the power station exists. Electricity comes out the ends of the wires when you switch on a light bulb. So I am willing to believe that SSE does exist. And willing to believe that wind turbines means that they don’t use quite as much diesel as they would do without them.

Yes, the power station exists, I never disputed that. Yes, electricity is used to power light bulbs. Again, no dispute. Yes, the SSE does exist. Yet again, no dispute. Yes, wind turbines use very little, if any, diesel. After all, they use wind as their power scource.

Unfortunately, there is still no proof of claims made by SSE that they use 10% less diesel fuel. There are, however, lots of little claims.

#19 PJS1979

PJS1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

The generators when run down burn a lot less efficently and produce worse CO emmisions your wind mills are achieving nothing !
  • Suffererof1crankymofo likes this

#20 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Probably because people can't afford to use their appliances as often as they did previously, more like!  There's been posts, if my memory serves me correctly, whereby Hjaltland Tenants didn't like the new systems and that their electricity bills were higher.

You don't have to have a SMART meter, you can refuse, which many people throughout the UK are refusing to do, especially if they live in flats.