Electric Ferries

Colin

What is in any way relevant to the claims that SSE chooses to come out with, Ian? Is there any proof that they exist in any way at all?

Well, the power station exists. Electricity comes out the ends of the wires when you switch on a light bulb. So I am willing to believe that SSE does exist. And willing to believe that wind turbines means that they don’t use quite as much diesel as they would do without them.

What is in any way relevant to the claims that SSE chooses to come out with, Ian? Is there any proof that they exist in any way at all?

Well, the power station exists. Electricity comes out the ends of the wires when you switch on a light bulb. So I am willing to believe that SSE does exist. And willing to believe that wind turbines means that they don’t use quite as much diesel as they would do without them.

Yes, the power station exists, I never disputed that. Yes, electricity is used to power light bulbs. Again, no dispute. Yes, the SSE does exist. Yet again, no dispute. Yes, wind turbines use very little, if any, diesel. After all, they use wind as their power scource.

Unfortunately, there is still no proof of claims made by SSE that they use 10% less diesel fuel. There are, however, lots of little claims.

Well actually, SSE claim to be using 10% less diesel fuel now than they did previously. http://news.ssen.co.uk/news/all-articles/2017/06/northern-isles-new-energy-solutions-project/

Probably because people can't afford to use their appliances as often as they did previously, more like!  There's been posts, if my memory serves me correctly, whereby Hjaltland Tenants didn't like the new systems and that their electricity bills were higher.

You don't have to have a SMART meter, you can refuse, which many people throughout the UK are refusing to do, especially if they live in flats.

I was googling and there was mention of four fossil fuel based power stations existing in Orkney, Kirkwall 16 MW using four MK 3 K Major diesel engines, a 10MW gas fired plant at Flotta, and two others I've yet to find information about.

I guess once Lerwick power station ( 67MW ) goes we'll have to rely on Sullom Voe gas turbines ( 60 MW) for backup times, though I was reading earlier that the Sullom Voe one already provides 40% odd of our electricity supply.

I was looking forward to:

> In August 2014 Scottish Ministers approved plans for a new 120 MW power station at Lerwick

So we would have some excess capacity for industry growth. (And/or if more of us start having electric vehicles..)

And security of supply, in case that cable to Scotland should not be working..

I was also reading about:

> seawater pumped storage system. There are several areas in Shetland that with
> comparatively small concrete dams could create quite large reservoirs for the storage
> of pumped seawater. For example a hydro powered pumping and generating station
> could be located on the shore of Dales Voe (Near the main power transmission lines)
> with storage reservoirs at an enlarged Njugals water (a disused water scheme loch)
> at a height of 70m above sea level but increased to 100m with the construction of a
> reasonably small dam across the burn exiting the uninhabited valley

I was also reading a while ago that Lerwick power station goes its oil from Norway, would not the replacement station have been able to get its oil more locally ?

I guess what we need is some nice baseload 24/7 sustainable power generation, geothermal perhaps. :-)

It's good to see Orkney pushing the envelope, meanwhile, I hope we have enough old fashioned generators to keep the lights on should it not be very windy for a while.

I'm all for sustainable power generation, but I'd like to see sensible decisions made taking into account the lack of reliable 24/7 generating capacity.

Related link:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britains-wind-farms-standstill-wind-disappears-seven-days-125936905.html
> Britain’s wind farms ‘at a standstill’ as wind disappears for seven days

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

I was also reading a while ago that Lerwick power station goes its oil from Norway, would not the replacement station have been able to get its oil more locally ?

Sounds rather farcical for what is Shetlands main power station to be fed, fuel-wise, by Norway, especially as we lift a large amount of oil out of both the North Sea and now the Atlantic Ocean.

It would be good to see Shetland making a greater effort to generate geothermal power, along with both solar and wind power and as much of it based off-shore as possible. It would certainly cut down on the pollution that pollutes both the islands and the people that live here.