• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

SIC election results

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

Some drama at the Clickimin! http://www.shetnews....nt-at-clickimin

Gary Robinson not being re-elected is quite an upset. I canna mind a councillor of such 'senior rank' not regaining their seat. I thought he was good at his job, but I don't live in the westside so I suppose it doesn't matter what I think today!

Edited by Davie P, 05 May 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Just read on http://www.shetlandt...count-clickiminthat the turnout was 25%. That's pretty poor, or is that par for the course?

#3 blue beetle

blue beetle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

I cant believe it Tinkler was last.  Surely there,s been a mistake. Im shocked.! How could the people of the west side reject a man of such vast knowledge on any subject you care to mention be rejected .

What a loss to Shetland politics.  

Oh well jonny willy will be pleased. LOL.

• Roachmill and Da Burra Shop like this

#4 ColdUpNorth

ColdUpNorth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

Just read on http://www.shetlandt...count-clickiminthat the turnout was 25%. That's pretty poor, or is that par for the course?

That was at 5pm last night with 5 hours still to go and before the majority came home from work i guess.  Actual turnout, from the same article, were as below.

North Isles - 66% (quoted as nearly 2/3)

Shetland North - 50%

Shetland West - 60%

Shetland Central - 40%

Shetland South - No vote

Lerwick North - 42.8%

Lerwick South - 43.7%

For comparison, overall turnout in the parlimerntary elections last year was 62.1% and for the last council election it was 54.2%

#5 Roachmill

Roachmill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1039 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Glad to see Duncan Simpson getting in. Being young and level headed is a rare combo.

Similarly glad to see Tinkler getting nowhere (the voters must all be nasty vile nationalist artistic never-served-in-the-forces-or-became-scientific-boffin types woop! woop!). I have my popcorn ready for the Shetland Times comments section! He did try [a lot of peoples patience] so I can't really knock him too much. But it's a relief nonetheless.

• Da Burra Shop likes this

#6 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3190 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Persistence has finally paid off for Ian Scott. He's contested every election since 1990.

#7 Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Does anybody else hope that the evident lack of Ian Tinklers popularity will hush him a little?

• Roachmill, Keedle and blue beetle like this

#8 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

so whos going to be the new leader cecil smith couper manson flea or one of the newer boys or girls

#9 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

so whos going to be the new leader cecil smith couper manson flea or one of the newer boys or girls

Do we really need one ! :ponders:

#10 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

^ a leader of some sort is needed just not four like weve had lately - between two stools the ass falls down and all that

#11 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

^ a leader of some sort is needed just not four like weve had lately - between two stools the ass falls down and all that

Yes I would say to many chiefs and not enough indians.

What does our chief executive Boden get paid so handsomely to do?

• brecken and Da Burra Shop like this

#12 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo, 06 May 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#13 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

I'd like Andrea Manson to be political leader.

• whalsa and George. like this

#14 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3190 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

Yes I would say to many chiefs and not enough indians.

Mark Boden seems to have risen without trace.

• brecken likes this

#15 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

play soldiers?

#16 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1894 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Don't quite understand this..  By "four" do you mean other councillors who are willing to express an opinion/the opinions of their constituents even if it does go against the opinions of our "leaders"?

FWIW. 

The big "shock" was Gary Robinson not getting re-elected  but, is it possible that he was to far "out of touch" with his voters and, that's what cost him..

It's all well and good to make big(?) (or appear to support them) decisions but, if your electorate think differently, go figure..

Should have taken a few tips from his predecessor..  That guy was an expert in not taking the blame for anything....

#17 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

^ convenor + deputy convenor + political leader + deputy political leader = 4

too many cooks

#18 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

FWIW. 

The big "shock" was Gary Robinson not getting re-elected  but, is it possible that he was to far "out of touch" with his voters and, that's what cost him..

It's all well and good to make big(?) (or appear to support them) decisions but, if your electorate think differently, go figure..

arrogance know it all itis and self serving even if only perceived is never a vote winner

whatever he may or may not have done or been his pr and public image people sucked at their job

#19 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

When there is just one political party with one seat in the SIC surely either that member should be the political leader or there is no real need for a political leader let alone a deputy.

#20 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

When there is just one political party with one seat in the SIC surely either that member should be the political leader or there is no real need for a political leader let alone a deputy.

They all deal with politics.  They are all politicians.  To suggest that the councillor allegedly representing my interests in South Mainland should be the political leader is highly distasteful, given that not a single vote was cast in his favour.  I'll go further - he should resign and I've told him so to his face.  His reply was that due process had been followed and where should it end, and also that he had spent money on leaflets, etc.?  He hoped that people would judge him on his actions.

I do judge him on his actions.  Due process has been followed but it doesn't make it morally right.  I'd rather see a change in the law so that others get the chance to stand in circumstances whereby there is a no contest situation.  Alternatively, for those within the affected ward to be given the opportunity to do a yes/no to those who have 'won' the no contest.   (Edit:  I'd rather it be no representative than having one forced upon me) Simply put, he doesn't have the mandate of the people living in the ward.  The other two councillors for South Mainland have at least stood previously, the SNP candidate hasn't.

Are you seriously suggesting that independents are not political?

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo, 07 May 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• Acid likes this