• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

New Esplanade road layout

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Imho, it has seriously damaged trade.

#22 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

The damage to trade is usually due to the laziness of people who can't be bothered to use a shop unless they can park outside. Ask some of the shop owners who are no longer in the street.
  • sludgegulper and Scorrie like this

#23 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Strange how my sales went down to next to nothing when they started the work at church road. How was customers supposed to get into my shop when I could not get in? The street was like a ghost town but slowly starting to get back to normal now that the road works are nearly all complete, but will be a good while before trade is back to normal.

#24 Keedle

Keedle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

The damage to trade is usually due to the laziness of people who can't be bothered to use a shop unless they can park outside. Ask some of the shop owners who are no longer in the street.

Customers can't get parked any where near the shops due to the shopkeepers taking every available parking space for themselves. Before you start, not all disabilities are visual, some people are not able to walk up and down lanes from/to car parks. I personally wont be using the shops on the street due to the calming measures. I shudder to think what the bumps are doing to low floored busses let alone peoples cars.

#25 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

I was referring to the able-bodied terminally lazy*, and not those that can't walk due to some disability. Those with a disabled badge would still be able to drive down the street and park where they wish.

I have noticed no difference on the buses since the new measures were put in place. It is just necessary to slow down to a sensible speed to go over them.

The street shopkeepers are damaging their own businesses if they park in the street. Perhaps someone needs to ring them up and point out that they would have dropped in to buy x, y and z but couldn't get parked, but noticed that the shopkeeper had.

* There can't be many of us that have not witnessed drivers posting letters at the post office from inside their cars, or using the cash points from the driver's seat. I remember seeing one driver driving up the lane at the side of the Bank of Scotland to use the ATM so that she didn't have to get out of her car.

#26 menkeeeaneahi

menkeeeaneahi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

What are they making better for who?

according to Wills frequent diatribes and spiels in support of getting humps it seemed the main goal was to stop an occacional boy racer gluffin an occasional timid tourist

#27 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

I personally don't know what the future holds for Commercial street. The road works has had a damaging effect on trade, but the road works are not the whole problem. There is a lot of other factors to blame for lack of footfall and trade.

Most small businesses including my shop are struggling to keep up the trade.

It will be a sad day once half of the places on Commercial street are empty.

So the council better think ahead of what will be to come as a street with empty shops will not look good, but by the looks of things, that could easily end up happening in the not so distant future.

Edited by Lerwick antiques, 05 June 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#28 Rasmie

Rasmie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

I can see the post office moving with the now poor vehicle access, They need somewhere  they can drive in their vans, .and how long will the bank branches  survive with most people banking online. I can see Da Street being left to restaurants and pubs.

#29 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

I agree Rasmie. Think the banks might last a bit longer as you can't put cash or cheques in to your account through internet banking, but just be a matter of time before cheques become a thing of the past and no many folk carry money nowadays.

Think the post office certainly needs a new location as you rightly said about the vans and problems getting parked near the door to post parcels.

The end is coming for Commercial street, probably do just as good somewhere like Bolts or out at Gremista, as that's where the town is heading. Even the School is moving away to the Staney hill.

Think the days of da street has been and gone.

#30 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

the solution is surely a change in planning policy accept the reality that times are changing deal with the surplus of shops by allowing them to be changed into accomadation

• BigMouth and George. like this

#31 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

the solution is surely a change in planning policy accept the reality that times are changing deal with the surplus of shops by allowing them to be changed into accomadation

Hallelujah!!

The street has often been the architect of its own demise, although the greedy landlords haven't helped. Cheap shoddy goods marked up to ridiculous prices have meant that people have shopped elsewhere. As you say, times are changing, we shop differently now. People either want to park on the shop's doorstep or they want to shop from their armchair. I can see the point of a cash point, chemists and eateries, but not much else. Turn it over to accommodation. People want to live in the town and this would give them that opportunity.
  • George. and MrBump like this

#32 Twerto

Twerto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2600 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

I can see the post office moving with the now poor vehicle access, They need somewhere  they can drive in their vans, .and how long will the bank branches  survive with most people banking online. I can see Da Street being left to restaurants and pubs.

To the contrary. the post office drivers i have spoken to recently are thinking it is great. they can now reverse into the post office without the fear of being rear ended.

• BigMouth and Davie P like this

#33 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Yes lets all move out of commercial street. Sign all the buildings over to SLAP for residential renovation and move all the alcoholics and drug users in, great idea. Be the new ladies drive. No be the picturesque Shetland the tourists and cruse ship travellers see then.

#34 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Let's not have too many charity or junk shops in whatever is left is all that I ask.
  • MrBump likes this

#35 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yes lets all move out of commercial street. Sign all the buildings over to SLAP for residential renovation and move all the alcoholics and drug users in, great idea. Be the new ladies drive. No be the picturesque Shetland the tourists and cruse ship travellers see then.

nobody is suggesting moving in lots of alcoholics and drug users but i think its unfair to suggest everybody in ladies drive fits that description i know people that definitely do not also pretty sure slap only do commercial rental

#36 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

I agree Rasmie. Think the banks might last a bit longer as you can't put cash or cheques in to your account through internet banking, but just be a matter of time before cheques become a thing of the past and no many folk carry money nowadays.

I got a letter from my bank (Bank of Scotland) telling me I will soon be able to pay money in at the Post Office. One less reason to go to the street.

#37 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

The speed calming measures will no doubt hasten the apocalypse, the semi-circular road markings outside the Thule are in-fact the Gates to Hades and the Roads Department are the agents of Lucifer himself who financed this ludicrous safety initiative through mortgaging the souls of our children.

We must not yield to the SIC's forces of evil.

Edited by Davie P, 06 June 2017 - 10:42 PM.

• BigMouth and Scorrie like this

#38 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

Also remember the school is moving too, will that no have a big impact on the trade of chip shops, takeaways and shops that sell crisps, juice, etc.

I have always been one for standing up for local small businesses and choosing to buy most of my groceries from small local shops instead of the supermarkets.

It has really saddened me to see the street turning so dead over the last few years.

The whole way of shopping has changed with the internet, supermarkets, etc, but it is just the way the world changes.

Mind when I was young then me and my granddad used to go to da street every Saturday afternoon and spend the whole day meeting/speaking with folk, going in various shops like Toggs, Clives music shop, etc. There was always a lot of folk around. Take a walk along da street and Saturday afternoon now, there is some down turn in footfall.

#39 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

....the semi-circular road markings outside the Thule are in-fact the Gates to Hades....

Oh, good. Now I know the way when I'm ready to head for home.

#40 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Waaheey....lets roll.

Cracker at 3:05

Edited by Ghostrider, 07 June 2017 - 03:38 PM.

• sludgegulper and George. like this