New Esplanade road layout

suuusssiiieee

A large percentage of business takings has to be the cruise ship season which the road changes make no difference too.

I though it was a waste of money to be honest but its here now so it is a case of adapting, what I would not be impressed with would be if they were to tear it all up again and knowing the SIC there is a fairly good chance that could happen ?

Car wrecking speed bumps should be banned.

The 4X4 drivers drive right over them without a hair out of place, whilst ppl with normal sized cars run the risk of leaving half their undercarriage strewn all over the Esplanade.

I agree Shetlands roads are 1st class so why ruin them by putting huge obstacles on top of nice flat roads?

Speed cameras and a 20mph limit would've done the same job.

Car wrecking speed bumps should be banned.

The 4X4 drivers drive right over them without a hair out of place, whilst ppl with normal sized cars run the risk of leaving half their undercarriage strewn all over the Esplanade.

Sorry Capeesh, but I can negotiate them in an tiny Alto with no hassle at all. If someone's demolishing their undercarriage the it's because they're going too fast or haven't the very basic wit to negotiate them with ones side on the hump and one side missing it..........

Let's face it, there's swathes of these things across the UK effectively slowing down the dimwitted minority who care effall for anyone's safety. And the 'disruption' to other motorists is absolutely negligible.

Several questions come to mind and it would be interesting to know:

How many of these accidents were caused by vehicles driving over 20 mph?

How many accident were caused by vehicles driving in or out of parking spaces?

How many accidents were caused by pedestrians crossing the road without looking?

How many accidents involved drink or drugs? Etc. Etc.

The reason I ask is that the "road improvements" with the exception of speed, will not solve these other issues. The alterations seems to be aimed at reducing the speed from 30 to 20 or under, so if your telling me that most of the 22 accidents were caused by drivers moving at over 20mph then I would agree the work was needed. Somehow I doubt this will be the case.

Wouldn't twartree 20s plenty signs dun da job insteed o aaw dis cerry on? I haet goin inower noo!  

^ A speed camera that tripped and took a number plate shot of every vehicle that passed it at 21mph or above, and a computer program that posted out fines to the registered keepers of the numbers in the shots would have been a fraction of the cost and turned in a profit year on year......

....ah, no, hang on. It wouldn't, because so few folk actually managed to hit 20mph on that stretch when there was any person or vehicle there to hit, the fines couldn't pay the power bill to run the camera, even it it had a solar panel and a windmill helping.

THe only 'problem' all this solves is the one the writer of the report recommending the work manufactured to justify it being done, by liberally massaging and presenting the available statistics in a skewed and loosely interpreted manner.

Edited by Ghostrider

There was a section of the A40 (westbound), at Ross-on-Wye, that had what could be called a reversed speed hump. In essence, it was a ten-foot long pot-hole that extended across both lanes and had a depth of several inches. I knew it was there, but drivers unfamiliar with the road clearly had no idea it was approaching. It's a 70mph road and most vehicles were easily hitting that speed if not more. Surprised I never saw any accidents. Probably the worse section of tarmac on a major trunk road in the UK. They have now replaced the entire surface along that stretch.  The humps, along with the 20mph limit, shouldn't really pose too much of an issue, but folk can always use other routes if they fear for the underside of their car. Having walked along the road the humps aren't anywhere near as severe as others I've had to negotiate. They're fairly low and the angles aren't excessive. Those pedestrian crossings look a bit unorthodox though. Don't understand the idea behind those. 

Many councils in the mainland are now removing speed bumps due to increased pollution and the fact that they didn't slow down traffic. There have been a few incidents in the last week of cars not stopping at the pedestrian crossings, this may be a fault of the council for not installing the flashing amber lights first. 

I witnessed the Pelican Crossing outside Highland Fuels failing to do its job today.

A man was just about to step onto the Crossing when a car went briskly flying over the height of it.  There was maybe no immediate danger but it just make a mockery of the whole thing.

The small square speed bumps are horrendous at any speed - even in 1st gear and almost crossing them from a standstill.

Four lots of those square speed bumps X  four stop, 1st gear starts(one uphill) is not only wasting more of my fuel it's adding countless more emissions to the environment.

People are scunnered with it and a number have told me they simply will no longer be going near the place.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how you put the final nail in the coffin of a lovely but struggling town centre.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

I think the post office should now consider moving to its premises at Garthspool.

That is my only reason for going anywhere near the street now, and they could thus calm traffic more and offer a more efficient service by moving! 

Then we would have two Post Offices a few meters apart.

No better if it moved to the Sound area.