• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Here we go again

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8649 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

I've mentioned on another thread that Orkney produces its entire energy needs through renewables, and actually over-produces by around 20%, which it exports to mainland UK via the National Grid. There's talk of connecting Shetland to the NG so the rest of the UK benefits from the wind turbines we'll be having installed in a few years time. If Shetland had control of its own finances, which also includes revenue from the wind farms, I can't see the islands being poor at all. We could also all benefit from cheap electricity if it was done in the right way. On those rare Shetland days where the wind doesn't blow, we can also install batteries which can be charged during low consumption periods of days with wind, to provide power 24/7.

When did the plan shift from everything VE produced being sent directly south, leaving us dragging it back via a second line and paying national rates for everything we used? As for profits to spend, as anyone with a basic grip of mathematics can see, actual profits are still years away even after all of VE is completed and commissioned, and then heavily relies on subsidies to turn them in. Counting chickens and all that.... especially as nobody has signed a cheque for any cable yet, which is make or break in more ways than one. Although given the current state of what's left of the SCT, there's a high probability they'd be big enough numpties to be wildly enthusiastic to be the first to jump up waving that cheque.

#22 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

Er..  Shetland has never had "control" of it's own finances..  Throwing money around like water is more like it..

As for connecting to the NG..  That's part of what VE was set up to do..  Unfortunately, spending that kind of our own money so a bunch of "carpetbaggers" could exploit it is a little "against the grain" to me.

As for cheap(?) lecky..  Dream on..

We will always be "poor" and will remain so until we can get control,

I thought part of the discussion was about the feasibility of Shetland taking control of its finances, like Man and the Channel Islands, so I wasn't saying we had control in the past or have control today. I was just putting across another option for a self-governing Shetland to make money in the long run. It would obviously require funding for investment, but that's always the case. You have to spend money to make money.

As regards to your point about cheap electricity, it's down to how the infrastructure is paid for upfront. If the 'government' of an independent Shetland used tax payers money to invest in the project, then I see it as we, the tax payers, are share holders, so we should benefit from the profits by having our bills subsidised. I'm not saying any of this is remotely possible because it's highly unlikely Shetland's governance will change anytime soon. But what I'm trying to get across is that it's doable. Hell, Man, Jersey and Guernsey have been managing well enough, so why not Shetland? 

Edit:-  Just reread the first bit of your post and realised you were taking the micky out of SIC rather than my previous post. I think.   :cool:

Edited by CrashBox, 24 July 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#23 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

I've mentioned on another thread that Orkney produces its entire energy needs through renewables, and actually over-produces by around 20%, which it exports to mainland UK via the National Grid. There's talk of connecting Shetland to the NG so the rest of the UK benefits from the wind turbines we'll be having installed in a few years time. If Shetland had control of its own finances, which also includes revenue from the wind farms, I can't see the islands being poor at all. We could also all benefit from cheap electricity if it was done in the right way. On those rare Shetland days where the wind doesn't blow, we can also install batteries which can be charged during low consumption periods of days with wind, to provide power 24/7.

When did the plan shift from everything VE produced being sent directly south, leaving us dragging it back via a second line and paying national rates for everything we used? As for profits to spend, as anyone with a basic grip of mathematics can see, actual profits are still years away even after all of VE is completed and commissioned, and then heavily relies on subsidies to turn them in. Counting chickens and all that.... especially as nobody has signed a cheque for any cable yet, which is make or break in more ways than one. Although given the current state of what's left of the SCT, there's a high probability they'd be big enough numpties to be wildly enthusiastic to be the first to jump up waving that cheque.

That's the trouble with Shetland oil, is it not? Gets sent south for refining, then returned to Shetland at a big increase in cost to us. Anyway, it's late and I'm in work in the morning. I'll try and find a YouTube video about renewables in Orkney (actually, I think I posted it over on the EV thread) where turbines have paid for themselves within the first year.

I will say that I had no real interest in so called green energy this time last year. But I saw something pop up on YouTube from watching a video on Tesla's autopilot system and I've been following the subject quite closely ever since. I certainly wouldn't have considered an EV 12 months ago. 

#24 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8649 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

^ YouTube tends to suffer from the same malady as Wiki, any numpty can post anything they like and there's virtually no checks and balances to ensure the veracity of most of it - I prefer slightly more critically scrutinised evidence before I give it much credence.

Yeah, we've heard the Burradale numbers repeated ad nauseum. we've heard a number or two from Orkney, all with more positive spin behind them than is seen at Lords for a whole summer. There little argument both have done "well", but that was them, and that was then, VE is some future time and another place, maybe, and it would be foolishly naive to simply directly translate the story of another place and time on to any other site any oher time without factoring in the differences in location, terrain, political climate, market conditions etc, etc, and thats where VE rapidly sinks in to a mire.

And yes, shipping Shetland's oil out, and then paying well over the odds to bring it back after processing is a problem, and one that should be persuading us not to make the same mistake with any other sort of energy production, and not just accepting 'that's how it is'.

• whalsa likes this

#25 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

Edit:-  Just reread the first bit of your post and realised you were taking the micky out of SIC rather than my previous post. I think.   :cool:

Thanks..  I TRY not to get personal if I can avoid it.

As for everything being "doable".  Agreed BUT, there has to be a "collective will" in the local population to make these things happen.  Unfortunately, most seem to be comfortable with / resigned(?) to "doing as they are told" and are unwilling to take any kind of risk.

Anyway, whilst "right idea, wrong man" is busy generating so much bad publicity for "the cause", little is likely to change simply because he lacks so much credibility. 

PS..  I sometimes wonder if he is a deliberate "plant" sent here to destroy any legitimate claims we might have.

#26 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

One of several videos on you tube about renewable energy in Orkney.

#27 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Another tilt at the windmill..  Maybe a little better thought(?) out this time..

http://www.heraldsco..._fraud/?ref=rss

#28 Berserker

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Should be not report himself for taking part in an illegal election?

• Ghostrider likes this

#29 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

Should be not report himself for taking part in an illegal election?

:razz:

And then deport himself?

#30 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've just found this site - wasn't aware of it at all.

http://www.udallaw.com/index.htm

Anyone know the history of the site/group and are they still 'in go'?

#31 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I've just found this site - wasn't aware of it at all.

http://www.udallaw.com/index.htm

Anyone know the history of the site/group and are they still 'in go'?

With a link to forvik.com, it's not to difficult to figure out the history and, indeed, who owns/operates it.

My money is on Stuart Hill.....

• Scorrie likes this

#32 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8649 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

That, is one of Calamity's very many sites, punting everything from some funky design of boat sails to Gold Soverieigns, and just about every other equally off beat thing inbetween.

Some were very short lived, others, like that one have hung around.
  • Scorrie likes this