Knab Site

Urabug

^ That's fair enough, but what would be wrong with, and give a better sense of inclusion, plus possibly let a few folk get their first step on to the property ladder, doing as many developers south do. Build all the houses on the site to a similar design/spec, but build in phases, selling off the first phase or two to finance the latter phases.

Okay, there still might be something of a sense of a "posh" end and a "ghetto" end, but it seems to be less so than when you have a small number of large houses in reasonably sized grounds sited prominently, and the rest like little boxes bunched together each with a token patch of grass hardly big enough to swing a cat.

Edited by Ghostrider

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think that the AHS site would be the perfect place for a new hospital. We are in need of a new up-to-date and bigger hospital. The hospital was fully modern and big enough when it opened in 1961 (think that was the date by memory) but since then, Shetland's population has growing, and it's become quite a drain on the money trying to patch the old building up and just out-dated and will just no be fit for the purpose for much longer.

I see no problem with a new hospital being on the AHS site. But most of the roads are one way around the site, but, how many cars, buses and people come and go on a daily basis just now? Probably more traffic than there will be for the hospital.

I am quite surprised that the council has managed to leave the old cemetery in Knab road alone as it's quite a big piece of land. I am surprised the council hasn't decided to either build houses on the old cemetery site or make it into a car park. That might come yet depending on what they decide to do with the AHS site and road access/parking. Also depending if they think they can get away with digging a cemetery up.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

I personally think that the AHS site would be the perfect place for a new hospital. We are in need of a new up-to-date and bigger hospital. The hospital was fully modern and big enough when it opened in 1961 (think that was the date by memory) but since then, Shetland's population has growing, and it's become quite a drain on the money trying to patch the old building up and just out-dated and will just no be fit for the purpose for much longer.

I see no problem with a new hospital being on the AHS site. But most of the roads are one way around the site, but, how many cars, buses and people come and go on a daily basis just now? Probably more traffic than there will be for the hospital.

I am quite surprised that the council has managed to leave the old cemetery in Knab road alone as it's quite a big piece of land. I am surprised the council hasn't decided to either build houses on the old cemetery site or make it into a car park. That might come yet depending on what they decide to do with the AHS site and road access/parking. Also depending if they think they can get away with digging a cemetery up.

have you tried driving from the knab to the edge of town at 9 or 5 its impossible can you imagine the ambulances trying to get out

The people that have been buried in the cemetery are certainly more productive than the council is. Their wages are a lot less and they didn't use the council tax that we pay to build the new *hite House.

have you tried driving from the knab to the edge of town at 9 or 5 its impossible can you imagine the ambulances trying to get out

Any worse than trying to get in/out of the present hospital site via Cairnfield Road anytime between 8 and 6 weekdays? It was hell on wheels decades ago and can only have gotten worse, a total bottleneck and a plethora of awkward junctions to contend with.

Bottom line, if the AHS site is unsuitable for a new hospital site due to access traffic issues, its unsuitable for any use that sees people living and working on it, as from the potential suggestions put forward so far a hospital is probably the lowest traffic volume generating one of them.

As I've said on here before, a road upgrade would solve most issues. Either of Breiwick Road as is, and put roundabouts on the junctions, or (if a 'Rolls Royce' approach is desired - as the SIC invariably does) upgrade Breiwick Road, Sletts to Ronald Street, then send a new road up over the Knab to land south of the Coastguard hut. Certainly I'd prefer to see a new hospital somewhere else than the AHS site, but there is nowhere else suitable to put it short of Gulberwick or Tingwall. All other sizeable town sites are now either on significant slopes or on exposed hilltops - neither suitable places for sick, ill and infirm people to be expected to go and conregate as a matter of routine 24/7/365.

How come Aberdeen hospital is just luxury compared to the Gilbert Bain? 

It doesn't seem like the GB has been maintained very well over the years. There was a report no that long ago about the roof leaking and mind a local plumber saying a couple of years ago that he was done some work on the water or sewage works and the whole lot needs to be replaced, but as normal, all they can do is patch it up.

Also far to small for Shetlands growing population.

The only other site I can think of is where Montfield is at. 

Seriously?  A new hospital?

You chaps do not know you are born.

Go to any hospital in London and what you have here in Shetland is incredible.  Ok, so not brand new, but amazing by any UK standards and it works as a hospital.

Ah, born ... the London hospitals I attended had facilities so women could give birth there or, for that matter, sufficient midwifery cover so women could have a home birth; they didn't force women to travel to have a caesarian.

The London hospitals I attended had MRI units; again, not having to travel for several hours.

The London hospitals I attended did have rheumatology clinics.

The London hospitals I attended had their own orthopaedic surgeons.

In fact, the London hospitals I attended ... well, they didn't have visiting consultants, they had intensive care units, high dependency units; and if one hospital had a long waiting list then there was NHS Choices whereby you could choose another hospital to attend that had a shorter waiting list.  London hospitals also didn't have to bleep folk to come in from home at a weekend to take your x-ray, etc.

Speaking to friends still living in the smoke, granted yes, there are longer waits but they still have the services that we don't.

Free at the point of need, NOT free at the point of delivery as spouted by Scot. Gov.

GBH is not fit for purpose and is long overdue being replaced.

I agree. I myself have not experienced London hospitals, so can't comment about them.

Something as important as a hospital needs to be kept updated and should have facilities which the current GBH are lacking due to lack of space.

The doctors and nurses do their best with the current GBH but it's just past it's sell by date.

^ Shetland NHS is only as skint as Holyrood decides they're going to be.

The problem with expecting Holyrood to finance any capital investment is that, as very ably demonstrated by the new AHS, is that we'll get exactly what they believe we should have, built by whoever they think fit. Not what we might want or need, or is the best fit for purpose. Apparently long gone are the days of us designing and pricing what we believe is best for the place and its needs, and then lobbying the Government to pay or part pay towards it, or of us having any real influence on how local public works whatsoever. Holyrood dictatorship or do without are the choices.

The SIC/SCT/SLAP allegely own most of the AHS site, Shetland NHS own the current GB site, plus others, how about they get their collective heads together and do a trade. SIC/SCT/SLAP take over ownership of the GB site plus others if desirable, in exchange for a chunk of the AHS site. If SLAP could build the White Elephant at the North Ness to lease back to the SIC, they're equally capable of building a new hospital and having some sort of part paid from the value of the acquired NHS sites and buildings/lease/mortgage/rent to buy arrangement with Shetland NHS.

Done right, it would free up both the GB and Montfield sites as everything NHS, including a chopper pad could go on the AHS site. The current GB could convert in to a block of flats if its still structurally sound enough for it, otherwise the site cleared and redeveloped as housing, the same for the Montfield site, and even if not, given the extent and longevity of the SIC's part occupancy of it for which they'd save having to pay Shetland NHS rent for if they owned it, they could just eave as is and saving that rent money would be worthwhile in itself.