Proposed new recycling scheme isles-wide

Suffererof1crankymofo

i live at the end of a rough croft track ...will the wheelie bin lorry come down the track to collect ....i am 76 years young and no way could i push the bins to collection at main road ...if i leave them at the main road the fishes will get the contents at the first strong wind unless the council builds a pound to hold them 

^^^ exactly that ^^^

The bins will blow away!

• There are many ways to secure wheelie bins, from bin stores to clamps/grips to bungee cord. During very bad weather all collections could be suspended and arranged for another day.

Pahahahaha!  What are they?  Will they be supplying the clamps/grips and bungee cord?

No. We are rolling out the new system across all of Shetland.

So many ways to roll in a Force 12.

Has our Maggie even been outwith Lerwick?

Ever?

Edited by Frances144

^ Maybe the best investment the SIC could make is in hiring a psychologist to oversee everything they do. It shouldn't be rocket science to appreciate that the more difficult/expensive you make doing something, the less folk are going to be inclined to bother, or care. To the SIC though, that concept seems entirely alien.

Edited by Ghostrider

If each household is to get a bin, then in my flat block for example you will have 7 bins vying for the 1 and only space currently available. It could make for some interesting times.

Other than that your going to have at least 6 bins on the public pavement 24/7. There's no way around that as you can't block up a communal stairwell with bins for fire regulations.

The Dutch actually pay out something like 10 cents per bottle at depositories around the country, hence they have one of Europe's highest recycling rates (around 64%).  

This, is the "rubbish collection point" for this neighbourhood (Yes, for my sins I live in Horseshoe Close, what of it......). It serves 20 addresses...(plus numerous others from the wider district when they need crap out of their road before essy kert day - but we know nothing about anyone that ever does that)....and faces west, next stop Newfoundland, Canada - Check out the Grit bin lid for the consequences of that.

I await the full "instructions" as to how these new proposals will specifically work on this particular site.....I expect them to be "interesting".

12091399_976450922400868_237729949890425

Edited by Ghostrider

This, is the "rubbish collection point" for this neighbourhood (Yes, for my sins I live in Horseshoe Close, what of it......). It serves 20 addresses...(plus numerous others from the wider district when they need crap out of their road before essy kert day - but we know nothing about anyone that ever does that)....and faces west, next stop Newfoundland, Canada - Check out the Grit bin lid for the consequences of that.

I await the full "instructions" as to how these new proposals will specifically work on this particular site.....I expect them to be "interesting".

Goodness, isn't the rubbish "Collection point" kept nice and tidy. The rubbish outside will probably be kept outside to let everybody know just what's inside. 

Goodness, isn't the rubbish "Collection point" kept nice and tidy. The rubbish outside will probably be kept outside to let everybody know just what's inside. 

That pic is of one night's work by the local cat population. They'd managed to pull one bag down from the top of one of the bins....which aren't lidded as there's not enough room in that 'shed' for the lids to swing. Which they'd got to because despite it being reported more than once it took Housing over four months to patch up the doors which had blown off as they were muck rotten at the bottom hinges.

Edited by Ghostrider

Reading the information am I right in thinking people are better to just put stuff that can be burned like paper etc in their general rubbish, as the district heating can then burn it, but can't if it is put to be recycled?

Yes. But you'll be sent to stand on the naughty step if the guys on the truck suss.

If the collection crews see the wrong material in the bin they'll leave you a note, highlighting what was wrong and how you can get it right for next time.