• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

TESCO

where is your stock?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

I am not sure about that George it does not make it clear on the website but as Joannie says im sure the raw spirit is imported as is there whisky and it is watered down to the required % content and flavoured

i know they import the whisky but i seriously hope they don't import the spirit for making the gin otherwise that would be as much of a con as the blackwoods gin

Edited by magnie ii, 17 September 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#22 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

A couple of comments regarding distillation and use of their stills here.

Shetland Reel Gin & Whisky

Edited by George., 17 September 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#23 brian.smith

brian.smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

They import the natural grain spirit so no they do not distill it on Unst rather they re cook it adding ingredients so yea bit of a con really http://www.ginfoundr...-shetland-reel/

Edited by brian.smith, 17 September 2017 - 04:33 PM.

• Frances144, George. and Chinahouse like this

#24 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

They import the natural grain spirit so no they do not distill it on Unst rather they re cook it adding ingredients so yea bit of a con really http://www.ginfoundr...-shetland-reel/

wow so its true they don't make it here just flavour it thought they would be better than blackwoods but obviously not

• brian.smith likes this

#25 crofterlady

crofterlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

What irritates me is the lack of UK vegetable and fruit.  Why import green beans from Guatemala when they grow fine here?  The same goes for loads of other items.  All in all I prefer the Co-op for variety, freshness and prices.

• Frances144 likes this

#26 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

What I find very stupid is they mostly stock New Zealand lamb. Shetland is over run with sheep but you can't find Shetland lamb, but if you do, it's twice the price of New Zealand lamb. How does this make sense?

• Frances144 likes this

#27 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Why do crofters and farmers fatten up there lambs, when we are told to eat less fat .Surely lean animals should fetch the better price.

Roasting a leg of lamb one probably pours a good couple of pints of fat away. How much actual fat percentage ways get thrown away .Money wasted buying fat we do not want.

Of course I know the more weight the better the price to the farmer, that's what it is all about.

#28 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Yes, and that's why a lot of meats are filled with water.

• BigMouth likes this

#29 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

Does Tesco even stock their 'Everyday Value' basic range up here any more? Granted the so-called 'food' products were of a quality I'd neither buy nor eat, but it had its uses for things that not even Tesco could destroy, like kitchen/bathroom paper, salt, soap etc.

One by one though, each of those have disappeared over the last months on their website, either vanishing from it completey or being permanently unavailable to Shetland shoppers. Leaving folk either having to buy an alternative from their standard range, which typically costs more than double of the basic range, or do without. A nice little earner for them off a captive market.

• Da Burra Shop likes this

#30 Da Burra Shop

Da Burra Shop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:54 AM

Does Tesco even stock their 'Everyday Value' basic range up here any more? Granted the so-called 'food' products were of a quality I'd neither buy nor eat, but it had its uses for things that not even Tesco could destroy, like kitchen/bathroom paper, salt, soap etc.

One by one though, each of those have disappeared over the last months on their website, either vanishing from it completey or being permanently unavailable to Shetland shoppers. Leaving folk either having to buy an alternative from their standard range, which typically costs more than double of the basic range, or do without. A nice little earner for them off a captive market.

Did anybody expect anything else of them?

• Mr.Brown likes this